Discuss Scratch

jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

I'm not sure Google would be spending this much time and money into the project if they thought it was just for the rich and famous.

But then again, remember how everyone reacted when the iPad came out?

•Tablet PCs already exist
•Who on earth would want an overpriced iPod Touch with a larger screen?
•What would I do with it that I can't already do on my laptop?
etc etc.

Now we all know the iPad is the biggest thing since electricity (I'm exaggerating, just leave it )

So maybe the Glass will be like that, especially as the feature set goes up, the price goes down, and competitors come out with their own wearable tech
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

I just hope they get a good voice recognition software for it…

“Okay glass, kill my hunger.”

“NO! I SAID HUNGER, NOT HAMSTER!!”

Last edited by NoxSpooth (May 23, 2013 00:31:25)

veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

Nothing is permanent.

Last edited by veggieman001 (July 17, 2013 02:11:35)

cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

Have we really gotten to the point where we need to wear this kind of technology on our face?
PonyoPenguin
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

NoxSpooth wrote:

Okay glass, calculate his power level.

Glass: IT'S OVER NINE…hundred. Wait, no. Recalculating…

Me: *facepalm* You didn't even try.

do what makes you happy.
'cause at the end, who's there?
you.
krakengryphon10
Scratcher
80 posts

Google Glass

cobraguy wrote:

Have we really gotten to the point where we need to wear this kind of technology on our face?
yup.

I see what you did there
hey everyone it's angie here. I love you nate ruess omg (❤3❤)
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

jji7skyline wrote:

I'm not sure Google would be spending this much time and money into the project if they thought it was just for the rich and famous.

etc etc.

Now we all know the iPad is the biggest thing since electricity (I'm exaggerating, just leave it )

So maybe the Glass will be like that, especially as the feature set goes up, the price goes down, and competitors come out with their own wearable tech
I was an iPad skeptic before, and now I use my iPad hours daily. Mostly because it was free.
“It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” – Steve Jobs

This is the most important thing to realize in the technology field. People are afraid of change. Everyone caused an uproar when the floppy drive was killed off. People now complaim that optical drives are being taken out. Sometimes, in the interest of innovation, you have to eliminate the old to accommodate the new.
Also important to remember is things like Project Fiber. Google can't cover everybody in the nation. They may lose money in the endeavor. But they are doing all of us a service by forcing ISPs that are already established to either raise speeds and cut prices or lose customers. THAT is an example of a company that caes about pushing technology forward.

Back from hiatus?
dsaztur
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

NoxSpooth wrote:

lol.

no
FirstSkyler1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Google Glass

NoxSpooth wrote:

Hilarious.
“NoxSpooth: Okay Glass, calculate his power level.”
“Glass: Power level limit reached. Nine-thousand one or more.”
“NoxSpooth: It's over nine-thousand!”
“NoxSpooth 2: What? There's no way that can be right!”

Last edited by FirstSkyler1 (Dec. 18, 3013 7:45:49)
3DSfan12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

In 2018, I asked the Scratch Team to remove all my forum posts to protect my privacy. That's why this post is blank. Besides, I've outgrown this website, and I don't want the dumb things I said in my late tween/early teen years to follow me around for the rest of my life. This post probably wasn't anything interesting or important, anyway.
Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

…My hopes are down D:
It looks SOOOOOOOOOO cool but I already wear glasses so there's no way

Also, I'm not going to buy it. I mean, I don't even need it! XD
I mean for what can I use them? School, no. Tennis, no. Home, computer, no. Outside, no.
My own question I set myself ‘What will you do with it and what can it do?’
And my own law I set myself is ‘'Do you NEED it?’'

And the answer is of course, ‘'NO!’'.
I can live with normal cameras, laptop or computer, or Google

Last edited by Mewly (July 12, 2013 01:23:58)

16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

Mewly wrote:

…My hopes are down D:

I mean for what can I use them? School, no. Tennis, no. Home, computer, no. Outside, no.

I see it as more of a cell phone killer than anything else. I don't think that the current version has the radios needed for cellular connectivity but future versions will. Basically it's like a device powered almost entirely by a siri-like assistant. I'm not sure the tech is there yet for it to become a truly consumer-ready product but it won't be long. Then I think that tablets will replace the game and media consumption roles of smartphones today.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure that Google has announced that they will eventually give support for prescription glasses, probably either something that will clip onto the normal glasses or it will come with prescription lenses available as inserts or something. But they will be supported in some way.

Last edited by 16Skittles (July 12, 2013 01:33:09)

Back from hiatus?
Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

16Skittles wrote:

Mewly wrote:

…My hopes are down D:

I see it as more of a cell phone killer than anything else. I don't think that the current version has the radios needed for cellular connectivity but future versions will. Basically it's like a device powered almost entirely by a siri-like assistant. I'm not sure the tech is there yet for it to become a truly consumer-ready product but it won't be long. Then I think that tablets will replace the game and media consumption roles of smartphones today.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure that Google has announced that they will eventually give support for prescription glasses, probably either something that will clip onto the normal glasses or it will come with prescription lenses available as inserts or something. But they will be supported in some way.

Omg, please not the latter
Anything but needing to buy new glasses and be stuck with it forever XD
And tablets, you said games were replacing them, right? Aren't they a bit too bit to fit in your pocket?
My 3DS fits in the pocket of my summer jeans, but it still feels heavy and… just wrong a bit, but manageable and not too bothering and annoying. A tablet will be worse, ofcourse only if they skip tons of ‘future’ years and already get to the point where devices can shrink and be put in a pocket. X3

Last edited by Mewly (July 12, 2013 01:40:02)

jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

I read this guide on making glass like glasses that run linux on raspberry pi.
Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

jji7skyline wrote:

I read this guide on making glass like glasses that run linux on raspberry pi.

Cool XD
just saying
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

Mewly wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

Mewly wrote:

…My hopes are down D:

Omg, please not the latter
Anything but needing to buy new glasses and be stuck with it forever XD
And tablets, you said games were replacing them, right? Aren't they a bit too bit to fit in your pocket?
My 3DS fits in the pocket of my summer jeans, but it still feels heavy and… just wrong a bit, but manageable and not too bothering and annoying. A tablet will be worse, ofcourse only if they skip tons of ‘future’ years and already get to the point where devices can shrink and be put in a pocket. X3
Well the portable console hasn't died yet and there will be an indefinite market for them. But I think the smartphone game market will eventually begin to transition over to tablets. They aren't pocketable but they'll fit in a bag with no fuss.

Back from hiatus?
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

jji7skyline wrote:

etc etc.

Jobs actually thought of the iPad before the iPhone, but he put it off for a while.
Anyway, every project at Google is like a science experiment.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
CN12
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

That looks awesome

You and 11 others like this post. Unlike?
———————————————-

Album 2 coming soon eventually!
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

I am a Lava Expert
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

scratchisthebest wrote: