Discuss Scratch

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

LucidSquare wrote:

Correction: It's just a developer's product.
It is also an experiment. All Google products are experiments and Google is proud of killing it's own products. I hope they don't kill Glass though. I haven't used it myself, but most of the people that don't like it and say it is bad haven't even used it themselves.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
LucidSquare
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Google Glass

nathanprocks wrote:

LucidSquare wrote:

Correction: It's just a developer's product.
It is also an experiment. All Google products are experiments and Google is proud of killing it's own products. I hope they don't kill Glass though. I haven't used it myself, but most of the people that don't like it and say it is bad haven't even used it themselves.
True but even looking a bit ahead don't you think it's lacking the consumer-friendly feel?

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

LeDerpy123 wrote:

I (almost) can't think of one time you can take a picture and feel normal saying “OK, Google. Take a picture.” I mean, it's convenient, it's also just awkward and really weird.
*travels back in time seven years*
I can't think of one time you can feel normal (checking mail by poking at a screen. / search the internet with my voice. / play games by waving a wand at a screen. / navigate my television by waving a hand.) I mean, it's convenient, it's also just awkward and really weird.
*travels back to present*

My point is not to make fun of you, it's to show that Glass only feels awkward because it's a new type of device, and that many devices we are comfortable with today were awkward too when they were new.

Give it time.

I am a Lava Expert
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

*travels back in time seven years*
I can't think of one time you can feel normal:
checking mail by poking at a screen. I doubt any one pokes their screen.
search the internet with my voice. Who does that!? :/
play games by waving a wand at a screen. A wand? >.< (Though it's still weird, even today… :P)
navigate my television by waving a hand. Yeah, I don't know anyone who uses that.
I mean, it's convenient, it's also just awkward and really weird.
*travels back to present*

My point is not to make fun of you, it's to show that Glass only feels awkward because it's a new type of device, and that many devices we are comfortable with today were awkward too when they were new.

Give it time.

Last edited by dracae (July 15, 2013 20:24:24)

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

dracae wrote:

checking mail by poking at a screen. I doubt any one pokes their screen. touchscreen
search the internet with my voice. Who does that!? :/ siri / google now / voice activated ___
play games by waving a wand at a screen. A wand? >.< (Though it is weird… :P) wii
navigate my television by waving a hand. Yeah, I don't know anyone who uses that. smart tvs I keep seeing commercials for

Last edited by scratchisthebest (July 15, 2013 20:26:27)

I am a Lava Expert
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

scratchisthebest wrote:

dracae wrote:

checking mail by poking at a screen. I doubt any one pokes their screen. touchscreen POKES
search the internet with my voice. Who does that!? :/ siri / google now / voice activated ___ I don't see many people walking around outside saying “Siri, guide me to the nearest walmart.”
play games by waving a wand at a screen. A wand? >.< (Though it is weird… :P) wii I doubt anyone calls it a “wand”
navigate my television by waving a hand. Yeah, I don't know anyone who uses that. smart tvs I keep seeing commercials for Just because you see a commercial for something doesn't mean everyone uses it, or that everyone knows about it, or that it is normal.

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

checking mail by poking at a screen. POKES *travels back in time seven years*

search the internet with my voice. I don't see many people walking around outside saying “Siri, guide me to the nearest walmart.” you haven't seen anyone use siri outside yet then.

play games by waving a wand at a screen. I doubt anyone calls it a “wand” *travels back in time seven years*

navigate my television by waving a hand. Just because you see a commercial for something doesn't mean everyone uses it, or that everyone knows about it, or that it is normal. it means that it exists

hi

I am a Lava Expert
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

scratchisthebest wrote:

checking mail by poking at a screen. POKES *travels back in time seven years*

search the internet with my voice. I don't see many people walking around outside saying “Siri, guide me to the nearest walmart.” you haven't seen anyone use siri outside yet then.

play games by waving a wand at a screen. I doubt anyone calls it a “wand” *travels back in time seven years*

navigate my television by waving a hand. Just because you see a commercial for something doesn't mean everyone uses it, or that everyone knows about it, or that it is normal. it means that it exists

hi
This discussion isn't going to go anywhere if all you're going to say is “Travel back in time”. >.<
Whatever. Think what you want.

jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

I've never felt self conscious when I use a touch screen - but talking to a non-living piece of silicon, glass and metal is another matter altogether
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

jji7skyline wrote:

I've never felt self conscious when I use a touch screen - but talking to a non-living piece of silicon, glass and metal is another matter altogether
I disagree… I'm somewhat self conscious when I'm the only one around tapping away. Glass is almost like a cure to the digital addiction. There is some info there when we need it, but it isn't enough to overload us.

Back from hiatus?
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

The thing is, I'm thinking of a scenario like this:

Crowd: *Blah Blah*
Bob: “Google, take a picture”
Crowd: *Stops talking*
Bob: “Google, access internet”
Crowd: *Looks for person who is talking to no one*
Bob: “Google, check my e-mail*
Crowd: *Stares at Bob*
Bob: ”Google, reply to Mary“
Crowd: O_o
Bob: ”Google, send message"
Crowd: Wut are you doing. Stop talking to yourself in public.

7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

dracae wrote:

NeilWest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

Tour Guide: *whispering* Look, a deer! Please be very quiet and take pictures with flash off.
Glass User: *loud* Google, take a picture!
*deer runs away*
Glass User: Urgh, it's all blurry.

dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

And then if you ever get adware…

(EDIT:
Bob: *Driving*
Bob: “Google, show me directions to the nearest Publix”
Bob: “OH GOD I CAN'T SEE THE ROAD GOOGLE CANCEL DIREC-”
Bob: *Drives car off the road*
O_o
)

Last edited by dracae (July 16, 2013 16:14:23)

16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

dracae wrote:

That's what I'm talking about, though. It isn't something you just *use* whenrver you want. It's a bit more of somthing that you only use when you're alone or under special other circumstances. First of all notifications eliminate the need to “check” your email or other messages. Second, is that just because it's attached to your face does not mean that it is mean to be used nonstop wherever you are. Third of all, most of its uses ae acceptable in an urban type environment with many people. Not necessarily an event with friends sort of thing, but if you're at some kind of event you wouldn't take your phone out either (I hope). I don't think you'd get any funny looks for saying “make a reservation at *restaurant name here* for 6:30,” “call *person name here* or ”text *person's name here* dinner at *restaurant name here* 6:30?"
Pretty much glass is acceptable to use in moderation in times when it's acceptable to use your cell phone. In times when you can't, it's obviously not such a great idea.

Back from hiatus?
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

16Skittles wrote:

It isn't something you just *use* whenrver you want. It's a bit somthing that you only use when you're alone.
Great. So it will be ($2000 as of now!) for some thing you won't even use in public.

Last edited by dracae (July 16, 2013 17:09:52)

ImagineIt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

dracae wrote:

And then if you ever get adware…

(EDIT:
Bob: *Driving*
Bob: “Google, show me directions to the nearest Publix”
Bob: “OH GOD I CAN'T SEE THE ROAD GOOGLE CANCEL DIREC-”
Bob: *Drives car off the road*
O_o
)
1. Transparency
2. Only one eye
3. Take it off
curiouscrab
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

Right now, it's not worth the price. Maybe in the future it'll be worth it, but for now I think it's pointless. Good thing it's only halfway done!
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Google Glass

curiouscrab wrote:

Right now, it's not worth the price. Maybe in the future it'll be worth it, but for now I think it's pointless. Good thing it's only halfway done!
It's said it will cost smartphone money when it comes out.
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Google Glass

dracae wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

It isn't something you just *use* whenrver you want. It's a bit somthing that you only use when you're alone.
Great. So it will be ($2000 as of now!) for some thing you won't even use in public.
I didn't phrase thhat well. What I'm trying to say is that you wouldn't use this at a party or while having a conversation, just like a smartphone. Or at least I hope you wouldn't use a smartphone at a party or during a conversastion. With all the sounds of the city, nobody is going to consider it strange at all. Especially if/when this technology becomes more commonplace.

Back from hiatus?