Discuss Scratch

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Questions About Scratch Directory (Please Don't Ask Questions Here!)

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

“The Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Topic + QAS Question Dictionary” is an unwieldy icosi-syllabic (or eicostodeutero-syllabic if you don't say QAS as one word). This is probably not of the greatest priority, but I think there should be a shorter name.
True.

Maybe "The FAQ + QAS Questionary'?

I'm just worried new forumers might not know what the abbreviations mean.
Perhaps just something like “The Questions About Scratch Directory”? Frequently asked doesn't need to be in the title because directory would cover that aswell.
Okay your brain size is mega.

garnetluvcookie
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

“The Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Topic + QAS Question Dictionary” is an unwieldy icosi-syllabic (or eicostodeutero-syllabic if you don't say QAS as one word). This is probably not of the greatest priority, but I think there should be a shorter name.
True.

Perhaps just something like “The Questions About Scratch Directory”? Frequently asked doesn't need to be in the title because directory would cover that aswell.
my brain is bigger; my IQ is higher than my mom's and she's s m a r t

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

True.

F now I need to update the banner.

I'll do later

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Q: What are the rules for sharing social media / livestreams?
A: Sharing YouTube videos is allowed as long as the content and comments are for all ages and don't share personal information. Those same rules must be followed when linking YouTube channels, as well. Due to containing unmoderated chat, links to live streams or channels with live streams are not allowed. The description and about me of the YouTube channel and YouTube video also must not link to anything that is not for all ages, contains private information, contains private messaging, or contains unmoderated chat. Links to sites or usernames from social media such as Reddit, Patreon, Discord, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitch, and Twitter are not allowed. If you have a question about what is allowed regarding social media, you can ask a question here in the forums or use Contact Us.

There are two ways I think this could be improved:

1. You need break this up into more paragraphs, in my opinion. Lots of crammed words are hard to read for some certain Scratchers.

2. There is a sticky in Show and Tell about how YouTube videos as the sole purpose of the topic being not allowed. I think it's worth linking, especially because few users who use QaS use Show and Tell.

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Q: What are the rules for sharing social media / livestreams?
A: Sharing YouTube videos is allowed as long as the content and comments are for all ages and don't share personal information. Those same rules must be followed when linking YouTube channels, as well. Due to containing unmoderated chat, links to live streams or channels with live streams are not allowed. The description and about me of the YouTube channel and YouTube video also must not link to anything that is not for all ages, contains private information, contains private messaging, or contains unmoderated chat. Links to sites or usernames from social media such as Reddit, Patreon, Discord, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitch, and Twitter are not allowed. If you have a question about what is allowed regarding social media, you can ask a question here in the forums or use Contact Us.

There are two ways I think this could be improved:

1. You need break this up into more paragraphs, in my opinion. Lots of crammed words are hard to read for some certain Scratchers.

2. There is a sticky in Show and Tell about how YouTube videos as the sole purpose of the topic being not allowed. I think it's worth linking, especially because few users who use QaS use Show and Tell.
Thanks for recommendations, and I agree. I've been thinking for a while now of going through every single question and answer and making the answers generally better, by fixing grammatical mistakes, spelling, putting more information, and making them easier to read. I have decided that I will eventually do that, but today is not that day.

-InsanityPlays-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Congrats on the sticky!
Also, can you add the Strawpoll thing?

Last edited by -InsanityPlays- (Nov. 5, 2020 23:30:16)

Welcome to my signature!
I've moved accounts. Anyway, did this post help you? Go follow me on my new account!
Today's Links: Scratch 4.0 Leaked Information, Astronomical - The Third, The Forum Community
follow me on scratch or i am sad, subscribe to my YouTube channel or bad luck for the rest of your life
My Final Shoutout: hekcer because in computer science class, he is the hekcerman
-InsanityPlays- Fan Studio! (closed) | Astronomical - The Third | Best of -InsanityPlays- 2020
my channel, my website, ctrl+shift+down for more STUFF

2020's Advent Collection:

more STUFF
ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
You're about 2 months late

Last edited by ThatOneWeirdDude (Nov. 6, 2020 00:01:06)

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
Also, can you add the Strawpoll thing?
Thank you! And I might, but right now I'm focused on merging the topics.

-InsanityPlays-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
Your about 2 months late
Nah, I'm pretty sure it got stickied recently. This topic was made about then.

Welcome to my signature!
I've moved accounts. Anyway, did this post help you? Go follow me on my new account!
Today's Links: Scratch 4.0 Leaked Information, Astronomical - The Third, The Forum Community
follow me on scratch or i am sad, subscribe to my YouTube channel or bad luck for the rest of your life
My Final Shoutout: hekcer because in computer science class, he is the hekcerman
-InsanityPlays- Fan Studio! (closed) | Astronomical - The Third | Best of -InsanityPlays- 2020
my channel, my website, ctrl+shift+down for more STUFF

2020's Advent Collection:

more STUFF
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
Your about 2 months late
It was stickied only a couple days after it was made

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I like PFTV's style when she owned the dictionary. She had stars next to important topics and X's next to outdated ones…. Isn't that worth adding?

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Is having a FAQ section and a Dictionary section final, because I really don't hope so.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Is having a FAQ section and a Dictionary section final, because I really don't hope so.

I felt the same way. Here's what I got back:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

How come only frequently asked ones get definitions, though? If a user struggles on a question, why not define it for them?
Because the Question Dictionary is very very long. The reason only the Frequently Asked Questions get definitions is because they are less of them, and they are more common than the other questions.

And it shouldn't be too hard for somebody to click on a link and find a post that tells the answer, anyway.

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

I think that this topic would be a lot shorter, neater, and more organized if you linked the post firat, then gave the definition, similar to TOLORS. I don't know why, but it kind of bothers me that they are separate, even if they are in one topic.
Some questions on the directory aren't as frequently asked to get on the list of FaQ, so I think some of them should stay separate, but do agree the popular ones should be merged.

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (Nov. 8, 2020 04:33:55)

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

How come only frequently asked ones get definitions, though? If a user struggles on a question, why not define it for them?
Because the Question Dictionary is very very long. The reason only the Frequently Asked Questions get definitions is because they are less of them, and they are more common than the other questions.

And it shouldn't be too hard for somebody to click on a link and find a post that tells the answer, anyway.

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

I think that this topic would be a lot shorter, neater, and more organized if you linked the post firat, then gave the definition, similar to TOLORS. I don't know why, but it kind of bothers me that they are separate, even if they are in one topic.
Some questions on the directory aren't as frequently asked to get on the list of FaQ, so I think some of them should stay separate, but do agree the popular ones should be merged.
What is the point of a “merged” sticky if a majority of the questions don't even have an explanation? For example, I could only write descriptions for the most common suggestions in the Suggestions Directory, but I'm writing them for all 700+. It just seems like a lazy job at that point.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yeah, it's still a work in progress. I'll do that. But, should it be called, “The List of Questions,” then?

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (Nov. 9, 2020 15:43:22)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

Yeah, it's still a work in progress. I'll do that. But, should it be called, “The List of Questions then?”
Maybe not add the “then” at the end.

GachaN0nsense
Scratcher
500+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

-InsanityPlays- wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
Your about 2 months late
It was stickied only a couple days after it was made
First time I'm not talking in color after a few days of using color, but I thought this was stickied a few months ago, when it was just a directory? I forgot what the other sticky was before they merged.

MOVING TO @NotDucki_
GachaN0nsense
Scratcher
500+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

Yeah, it's still a work in progress. I'll do that. But, should it be called, “The List of Questions,” then?
I think the name “Questions About Scratch Directory and Frequently Asked Questions” could do, or “QaS Directory and FAQ”.

MOVING TO @NotDucki_
ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maybe when you combine FaQ and directory into one add a symbol next to the “Frequently Asked” entries?
e.g.
* How to change my signature?
(description)[/quote

Then it would be easier to sift through and you could mix the frequently asked questions into the proper category on the directory.

Last edited by ThatOneWeirdDude (Nov. 11, 2020 19:02:16)

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GachaN0nsense wrote:

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

I think the name “Questions About Scratch Directory and Frequently Asked Questions” could do, or “QaS Directory and FAQ”.
Once it's finished, the FaQ will (from what I'm visualizing by reading past posts) be put into the proper section on the directory, so there won't be a FaQ section or subsection, so FaQ doesn't need to be in the name