Discuss Scratch

Futurebot5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Support! Half the topics in Bugs & Glitches are about saving issues.

So…hello, ou bonjour, o hola, o ciao, oder hallo.

s_123_345
Scratcher
88 posts

Charizard746 wrote:

Support, its very disappointing to realize your project is over 50 Kb and you don't realize it until much later when it doesn't save.
Isn't the size limit 50 Mb?

s_123_345 (That's a link, you can click it!)

Creator of The Dark and Light Show.

New game in progress!

Game progress: [2%] :: #00eebb hat
TDNLS Season 2 Episode 1 progress: [5%]:: #aa88ff
The Final In-tera-gation 2 progress: [1%]:: #00eebb
150 follower progress: <please follow:: #00eebb> [90%]:: #aa88ff
???: [??%] :: #000000 cap
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_123_345 wrote:

Charizard746 wrote:

Support, its very disappointing to realize your project is over 50 Kb and you don't realize it until much later when it doesn't save.
Isn't the size limit 50 Mb?
Neither of these are correct - there is no blanket project size limit anymore (this is old information that dates back to Scratch 2.0). You can read more about the current size limits here.

Also, you should say "MB“, not ”Mb“. ”MB“ stands for ”megabytes“, while ”Mb“ stands for ”megabits" - a byte is made of 8 bits (a bit is a single binary value that can either be on or off), so a megabit is only 0.125 MB, or 125 KB. Big difference there. (Megabits are commonly used in networking, particularly when marketing Internet speeds for consumer internet service - note that this isn't the ISP trying to be deceptive, as network speeds have been measured in bits per second and multiples thereof since the invention of the first modems.)

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I support this because:
1. I can't see any reason not to
2. It would cut back on “why doesn't my project save??/?!!!11!!” topics

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
m3wiscool
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support, I made a project that I spent months on, and it just results in an error.
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

yes, very big support, I keep on importing big files, so Scratch won't save

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Flowermanvista wrote:

Bump.

This thing is really coming to a head. Seriously, for multiple days in a row, I've seen more than one new topic in the Bugs and Glitches forum about save issues - and I'm sure that ~99% of those are being caused by the size limits. If you support this suggestion, I encourage you to add it to your signature - that will help get the word out and increase awareness.

Also, if someone could “bump” the GitHub issue (just add a comment asking about the status of it), that would be very nice.

Last edited by Flowermanvista (Jan. 26, 2021 15:34:27)

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Flowermanvista wrote:

Bump.

This thing is really coming to a head. Seriously, for multiple days in a row, I've seen more than one new topic in the Bugs and Glitches forum about save issues - and I'm sure that ~99% of those are being caused by the size limits. If you support this suggestion, I encourage you to add it to your signature - that will help get the word out and increase awareness.

Also, if someone could “bump” the GitHub issue (just add a comment asking about the status of it), that would be very nice.

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Flowermanvista wrote:

Bump.

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Take my bump, I suppose

lordibel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support!
MDCCCLXVII
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lordibel wrote:

Support!
pls explain
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MDCCCLXVII wrote:

lordibel wrote:

Support!
pls explain
thisandagai

PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support good idea i could use this also nice keeping this topic allive

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
How to make siggie
KittyFireSt0rm
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Today someone asked me why their music player wasn't saving, I knew from the moment they said “music player” that it was probably an issue with the song files being too big. Having a notification like this would be nice for that.

Last edited by KittyFireSt0rm (Jan. 30, 2021 18:19:44)

404: Signature Not Found
lordibel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MDCCCLXVII wrote:

lordibel wrote:

Support!
pls explain
y
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lordibel wrote:

MDCCCLXVII wrote:

lordibel wrote:

Support!
pls explain
y
Because.. you have to give reasoning as to why you support, and it's useless to post ‘support’ without any reasoning..

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Flowermanvista wrote:

Bump.

the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Flowermanvista wrote:

Flowermanvista wrote:

Sure, I'll go do that.

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

b u m p