Discuss Scratch

-SeaKitty-
Scratcher
5 posts

Browser Extension/Userscript Policy

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to announce today that we’re shifting our policy related to browser extensions, userscripts, and other similar external software. We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch.

Browser-based extensions and userscripts can be risky because they can get access to everything you do online. This means that they could potentially get information about the websites you visit, collect private information about you, and change what you see in ways you don’t expect. In the past, we have allowed these to be advertised on Scratch because they can also be fun, safe, and helpful tools – and because we’ve seen that Scratchers can learn a lot by making them. But we feel the risks and potential harm outweigh these benefits.

Because of this, we will now be removing comments, projects, forum posts, user profile information, or other content that reference any browser extension or userscript. In general, we encourage you to use these tools only if they were created by people or organizations you trust.

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Frequently Asked Questions:

When does this go into effect?
Right away.

Will I get in trouble for things I’ve already shared about a browser extension/userscript?
No. We will begin the process of removing content that has already been shared on Scratch. This will not count against you, so no need to worry about that Going forward, we ask that you do not share or advertise browser extensions/userscripts as it could lead to moderations actions against your account.

What if I’ve already downloaded a browser extension?
You should look through your browser extensions and delete any that weren’t created by people or organizations you trust. You might even want to reread their privacy policies to make sure you’re okay with everything the extensions are doing.

Should I report content referencing a browser extension/userscript?
Yes.

What about Scratch extensions?
Those are a different thing! It’s totally cool to share Scratch extensions, like the ones found in the Scratch editor or on scratchx.org. We’re only talking about browser extensions (like Firefox and Chrome extensions).
Seriously? isOnline is trustable! There's a reason it has good ratings!
2Dproductions
Scratcher
500+ posts

--Waterfall-- wrote:

acduckii_rises wrote:

We want our isOnline crowns! We want our scratchmojis! We want freedom to advertise!
Sorry, but *ahem*

1. World_Languages could make it so you automatically get isOnline crowns.
2. You still have scratchmoji. Not getting a custom emoji is not the end of the world.
3. You can advertise in show and tell, and in studios. if it's for safety reasons, the you shouldn't be able to advertise extensions.

Thank you for clearing that up, it's actually getting quite annoying seeing all of these posts saying, “We want to advertise” or “pls let uz advertize else well leav scratch”.

Scratch On!

scratch is maayo kana.
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wow – I wasn't expecting this!
I'm not here to complain, this doesn't affect me much.
I know how much work people put into the popular Scratch extensions, but I really see where you are coming from, it's probably better to get rid of extension advertisements for the safety reasons you mentioned.

I hope that people won't get too upset about this like the discuss button, but I agree with your decision.
Scratch on!

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
2Dproductions
Scratcher
500+ posts

bigpuppy wrote:

I know how much work people put into the popular Scratch extensions, but I really see where you are coming from, it's probably better to get rid of extension advertisements for the safety reasons you mentioned.

I hope that people won't get too upset about this like the discuss button, but I agree with your decision.
Scratch on!

Sadly, I think this will be like the discuss button.

Scratch On!

scratch is maayo kana.
ScRaTcH-cArDs
Scratcher
10 posts

--Waterfall-- wrote:

acduckii_rises wrote:

We want our isOnline crowns! We want our scratchmojis! We want freedom to advertise!
Sorry, but *ahem*

1. World_Languages could make it so you automatically get isOnline crowns.
2. You still have scratchmoji. Not getting a custom emoji is not the end of the world.
3. You can advertise in show and tell, and in studios. if it's for safety reasons, the you shouldn't be able to advertise extensions.
i agree!!!
Googol-Test
Scratcher
3 posts

Does this mean I have to stop #lovecookies on iO

if <(answer)=[Yes]> then
play sound [No... v]
else
play sound [Yes v]
end

[Hide v] Mouse

Last edited by Googol-Test (Dec. 1, 2017 01:38:26)

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Googol-Test wrote:

if <(answer)=[Yes]> then
play sound [No... v]
else
play sound [Yes v]
end
No, that's perfectly fine. That has no advertising involved, so it's fine to use #lovecookies.

Googol-Test
Scratcher
3 posts

--Waterfall-- wrote:

Googol-Test wrote:

if <(answer)=[Yes]> then
play sound [No... v]
else
play sound [Yes v]
end
No, that's perfectly fine. That has no advertising involved, so it's fine to use #lovecookies.

Oh Phew...

Last edited by Googol-Test (Dec. 1, 2017 01:42:18)

TrueFBK
Scratcher
71 posts

2Dproductions wrote:

bigpuppy wrote:

Scratch on!

Sadly, I think this will be like the discuss button.

Scratch On!
yep..

This, my friend, is a signature. A signature owned by a failure (TrueFBK).
SuperMarineWorld
Scratcher
4 posts

rip crown 2017-2017
VectiaAnimations
Scratcher
3 posts

Well I'm not affected, though, I think ScratchMoji is a safe thing, it just adds emojis to chatting which is pretty much harmless.
Minecraftboss516
Scratcher
14 posts

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to announce today that we’re shifting our policy related to browser extensions, userscripts, and other similar external software. We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch.

Browser-based extensions and userscripts can be risky because they can get access to everything you do online. This means that they could potentially get information about the websites you visit, collect private information about you, and change what you see in ways you don’t expect. In the past, we have allowed these to be advertised on Scratch because they can also be fun, safe, and helpful tools – and because we’ve seen that Scratchers can learn a lot by making them. But we feel the risks and potential harm outweigh these benefits.

Because of this, we will now be removing comments, projects, forum posts, user profile information, or other content that reference any browser extension or userscript. In general, we encourage you to use these tools only if they were created by people or organizations you trust.

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Right away.

Will I get in trouble for things I’ve already shared about a browser extension/userscript?
No. We will begin the process of removing content that has already been shared on Scratch. This will not count against you, so no need to worry about that Going forward, we ask that you do not share or advertise browser extensions/userscripts as it could lead to moderations actions against your account.

You should look through your browser extensions and delete any that weren’t created by people or organizations you trust. You might even want to reread their privacy policies to make sure you’re okay with everything the extensions are doing.

Yes.

Those are a different thing! It’s totally cool to share Scratch extensions, like the ones found in the Scratch editor or on scratchx.org. We’re only talking about browser extensions (like Firefox and Chrome extensions).
We just put the thing on our profile for the IsOnline Crown, check their project on it, and you'll see why it's there.
What if we just put the link in and not say to get it? It's not advertising then technically.
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Minecraftboss516 wrote:

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Right away.

Yes.

We just put the thing on our profile for the IsOnline Crown, check their project on it, and you'll see why it's there.
What if we just put the link in and not say to get it? It's not advertising then technically.
I don't think anyone would actually do that. That functionality of the extension has been removed, there is no way to get a crown.

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

VectiaAnimations wrote:

Well I'm not affected, though, I think ScratchMoji is a safe thing, it just adds emojis to chatting which is pretty much harmless.
Yes, I agree.

AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

At first, I thought Scratch extensions weren't allowed anymore and then I saw the rest of the post. I have a question: can't there be official Scratch userscripts and extensions? Then, the extensions could still be advertised and safety of Scratchers would be ensured. The extensions could be looked at through the source code and marked “safe” by the ST. Then, advertising for those extensions could be allowed. It could end the argument based on this new policy.

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

At first, I thought Scratch extensions weren't allowed anymore and then I saw the rest of the post. I have a question: can't there be official Scratch userscripts and extensions? Then, the extensions could still be advertised and safety of Scratchers would be ensured. The extensions could be looked at through the source code and marked “safe” by the ST. Then, advertising for those extensions could be allowed. It could end the argument based on this new policy.
Their argument is that “what extensions are okay or not okay for Scratch is just not in the scope of what we do”

hii

if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]

end

when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

Their argument is that “what extensions are okay or not okay for Scratch is just not in the scope of what we do”
I'm saying that people can request Scratch-allowed extensions and then the ST and/or good, trusted, multi-language coders can see if they are safe. Also you can use simple code to do it automatically.

sam
GamesGuyTV
Scratcher
500+ posts

*Cryyyying* I loved OK and scratchmoji

This is Bob, he is here to save my signature

Help preserve the environment! Click here to learn.

AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GamesGuyTV wrote:

*Cryyyying* I loved OK and scratchmoji
There's still a way they can come back! Look at my posts in this topic!

sam
QuarksAtom
Scratcher
8 posts

myed wrote:

The community(the domino pyramid) has spent years to build, but with one misplaced rule(domino)…

….the whole thing collapses in on itself. The site(the dominoes) are still left, with quite a few users. But the community? That's gone.
Stay safe out there…
Wut? I mean,