Discuss Scratch

mrscratch88
Scratcher
22 posts

Browser Extension/Userscript Policy

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to announce today that we’re shifting our policy related to browser extensions, userscripts, and other similar external software. We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch.

Browser-based extensions and userscripts can be risky because they can get access to everything you do online. This means that they could potentially get information about the websites you visit, collect private information about you, and change what you see in ways you don’t expect. In the past, we have allowed these to be advertised on Scratch because they can also be fun, safe, and helpful tools – and because we’ve seen that Scratchers can learn a lot by making them. But we feel the risks and potential harm outweigh these benefits.

Because of this, we will now be removing comments, projects, forum posts, user profile information, or other content that reference any browser extension or userscript. In general, we encourage you to use these tools only if they were created by people or organizations you trust.

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Frequently Asked Questions:

When does this go into effect?
Right away.

Will I get in trouble for things I’ve already shared about a browser extension/userscript?
No. We will begin the process of removing content that has already been shared on Scratch. This will not count against you, so no need to worry about that Going forward, we ask that you do not share or advertise browser extensions/userscripts as it could lead to moderations actions against your account.

What if I’ve already downloaded a browser extension?
You should look through your browser extensions and delete any that weren’t created by people or organizations you trust. You might even want to reread their privacy policies to make sure you’re okay with everything the extensions are doing.

Should I report content referencing a browser extension/userscript?
Yes.

What about Scratch extensions?
Those are a different thing! It’s totally cool to share Scratch extensions, like the ones found in the Scratch editor or on scratchx.org. We’re only talking about browser extensions (like Firefox and Chrome extensions).

And thus, Scratch started to slowly die.

when I receive [idea v]
go to [computer v]
if <(week) = (weekend)> then
repeat until <(more interesting thing)> = <(available)>
set [programming mode] to [on]

end
go to [more interesting thing]

else
go to [phone]
wait (9817314326564389) secs

end
CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

mrscratch88 wrote:

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to announce today that we’re shifting our policy related to browser extensions, userscripts, and other similar external software. We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch.

Browser-based extensions and userscripts can be risky because they can get access to everything you do online. This means that they could potentially get information about the websites you visit, collect private information about you, and change what you see in ways you don’t expect. In the past, we have allowed these to be advertised on Scratch because they can also be fun, safe, and helpful tools – and because we’ve seen that Scratchers can learn a lot by making them. But we feel the risks and potential harm outweigh these benefits.

Because of this, we will now be removing comments, projects, forum posts, user profile information, or other content that reference any browser extension or userscript. In general, we encourage you to use these tools only if they were created by people or organizations you trust.

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Frequently Asked Questions:

When does this go into effect?
Right away.

Will I get in trouble for things I’ve already shared about a browser extension/userscript?
No. We will begin the process of removing content that has already been shared on Scratch. This will not count against you, so no need to worry about that Going forward, we ask that you do not share or advertise browser extensions/userscripts as it could lead to moderations actions against your account.

What if I’ve already downloaded a browser extension?
You should look through your browser extensions and delete any that weren’t created by people or organizations you trust. You might even want to reread their privacy policies to make sure you’re okay with everything the extensions are doing.

Should I report content referencing a browser extension/userscript?
Yes.

What about Scratch extensions?
Those are a different thing! It’s totally cool to share Scratch extensions, like the ones found in the Scratch editor or on scratchx.org. We’re only talking about browser extensions (like Firefox and Chrome extensions).

And thus, Scratch started to slowly die.

It was due to people saying #Bring it back

Isonline got shut downed. The end.
jokeaccount
Scratcher
99 posts

Last edited by jokeaccount (Dec. 1, 2017 18:54:50)

Prinseskat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

why not teach kids about online safety instead of trying to block literally everything and anything deemed “dangerous” (even if it isnt) considering that we're all probably gonna be exposed to things online that are actually potentially dangerous at some time lol

haha funny kumquat meme
novice27b
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think this policy is heavy-handed, and significantly detracts from the learning experience of users starting to move beyond Scratch.

Practically half of the AT topics would need to be deleted.

Any non-scratch code can potentially be harmful, so you might as well ban discussion/advertising of all other languages.

Learning about what code you can trust is an important skill, and if there *was* some malicious code advertised on scratch (which AFAIK has never happened), then I'm sure it would be reported and dealt with quickly.

Here's a better solution I propose:

When a user creates a forum post, there is a checkbox they can tick that says something like “This post references external code”. This option will result in a prominent disclaimer/warning message being put at the top of the post which explains to users that they should be wary about running untrusted code.

Furthermore, you could restrict these discussions to just the Advanced Topics forum. If this was done, the disclaimer/warning message could be placed at the top of the AT page.

Last edited by novice27b (Dec. 1, 2017 13:15:27)

i use arch btw
acduckii_rises
Scratcher
100+ posts

2Dproductions wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

acduckii_rises wrote:

We want our isOnline crowns! We want our scratchmojis! We want freedom to advertise!
Sorry, but *ahem*

1. World_Languages could make it so you automatically get isOnline crowns.
2. You still have scratchmoji. Not getting a custom emoji is not the end of the world.
3. You can advertise in show and tell, and in studios. if it's for safety reasons, the you shouldn't be able to advertise extensions.

Thank you for clearing that up, it's actually getting quite annoying seeing all of these posts saying, “We want to advertise” or “pls let uz advertize else well leav scratch”.

Scratch On!
1. Are you mocking me?
2. I don't actually have scratchmoji. Custom emoji? If only I knew scratchmoji was a thing back then.
3. I think there should be a choice if you want the crown, so you could turn it on and off.

“No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them."

acduckii_rises
Scratcher
100+ posts

MClovers wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth.
You guys remove everything for no reason.
I agree 100%

PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Excuse me, I have some browser extensions that change how the Scratch website looks. Is it okay to have them in effect when I take snapshots of the Scratch website and upload them here?

apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

#bringitback
#bringitbackagain

1 Some exts are open source. I think these are safety.
2 Scratch allows user website by registration. It is good for exts too
3 Why can we say Scratch is Safety? SSL? Because ST says? it is not open source,you know?
4 We can make a mod and advertise them,right?

#ComeBackExts
New hashtag.

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名
acduckii_rises
Scratcher
100+ posts

Advertising, maybe not. But why not even MENTIONING it? At least let us say "I suggest getting a cool extension called ✘✘✘✘✘✘✘✘! But you don't have to, it's your choice."

Last edited by acduckii_rises (Dec. 1, 2017 15:52:07)

World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

dual_creator43 wrote:

I don't know what to say. At least we can still use the extensions; you have to be thankful for that. (That is, unless you don't have and don't want to have said extensions. I have one of them.) When I got the message from the ST, I wanted to keep it at first, but then I realized the alert about didn't go away.
The ST can't tell you which extensions to use or not use, it's simply out of their hands.

Prinseskat wrote:

why not teach kids about online safety instead of trying to block literally everything and anything deemed “dangerous” (even if it isnt) considering that we're all probably gonna be exposed to things online that are actually potentially dangerous at some time lol
Exactly.

acduckii_rises wrote:

Advertising, maybe not. But why not even MENTIONING it? At least let us say "I suggest getting a cool extension called ! But you don't have to, it's your choice."
I still don't know how they'll implement this rule. You just simply can't limit (used) vocabulary from one day to another. And, how do you expect people to report things against a rule they don't agree with?

hii

if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]

end

when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

Excuse me, I have some browser extensions that change how the Scratch website looks. Is it okay to have them in effect when I take snapshots of the Scratch website and upload them here?

HarryPotterFan111
Scratcher
2 posts

That's a good change, but on the downside, I lost my isOnline crown.
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

CD20Superness wrote:

Thats unlucky, But i still have the online settings of it.
Well, the extension is still functional, it's merely the crown that you lose.

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

acduckii_rises wrote:

2Dproductions wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

acduckii_rises wrote:

We want our isOnline crowns! We want our scratchmojis! We want freedom to advertise!
Sorry, but *ahem*

1. World_Languages could make it so you automatically get isOnline crowns.
2. You still have scratchmoji. Not getting a custom emoji is not the end of the world.
3. You can advertise in show and tell, and in studios. if it's for safety reasons, the you shouldn't be able to advertise extensions.

Thank you for clearing that up, it's actually getting quite annoying seeing all of these posts saying, “We want to advertise” or “pls let uz advertize else well leav scratch”.

Scratch On!
1. Are you mocking me?
2. I don't actually have scratchmoji. Custom emoji? If only I knew scratchmoji was a thing back then.
3. I think there should be a choice if you want the crown, so you could turn it on and off.

Yes, I agree, that the crown should be an option, rather then advertising to get it.

jokeaccount
Scratcher
99 posts

as long as you don't mention them by name it's probably fine
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Scratcher
71 posts

I don't think this is a problem for a majority of the community. How many people even use these extensions anyway?

I mean I try to help with scripts but everyone else keeps answering them first
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:

I don't think this is a problem for a majority of the community. How many people even use these extensions anyway?
isOnline has 2000+, Scratchmoji has 100+

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

HarryPotterFan111 wrote:

That's a good change, but on the downside, I lost my isOnline crown.
Well, maybe World_Languages will make it so everybody gets a crown.

World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:

If all the users of the most popular extension commented on October, 3% of comments were made by extension users. Still a lot.

hii

if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]

end

when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME