Discuss Scratch

GamesGuyTV
Scratcher
500+ posts

Browser Extension/Userscript Policy

This is also a good idea to stop advertising extensions because they can even do bad things like getting your scratch private info and flooding scratch with ads

This is Bob, he is here to save my signature

Help preserve the environment! Click here to learn.

GamesGuyTV
Scratcher
500+ posts

I know you're sad but don't hate on ST for this

This is Bob, he is here to save my signature

Help preserve the environment! Click here to learn.

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

GamesGuyTV wrote:

*Cryyyying* I loved OK and scratchmoji
Sigh… Not again. You can still use the extensions. That is the main point.

PackersRuleGoPack
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

At first, I thought Scratch extensions weren't allowed anymore and then I saw the rest of the post. I have a question: can't there be official Scratch userscripts and extensions? Then, the extensions could still be advertised and safety of Scratchers would be ensured. The extensions could be looked at through the source code and marked “safe” by the ST. Then, advertising for those extensions could be allowed. It could end the argument based on this new policy.
Their argument is that “what extensions are okay or not okay for Scratch is just not in the scope of what we do”
I'm saying that people can request Scratch-allowed extensions and then the ST and/or good, trusted, multi-language coders can see if they are safe. Also you can use simple code to do it automatically.
What if say i made an extension, then it got approved, then i added some code that gets all the users info. Thats why they can't do that

Hi I'm making an FREE app for Scratch called Scratch Hub. Checkout the sneak peek here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/324532222/

THE APP IS OUT: Click the link on this website to get to the app: https://scratchhub.ml

Also, I made a game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/326163967
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PackersRuleGoPack wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

At first, I thought Scratch extensions weren't allowed anymore and then I saw the rest of the post. I have a question: can't there be official Scratch userscripts and extensions? Then, the extensions could still be advertised and safety of Scratchers would be ensured. The extensions could be looked at through the source code and marked “safe” by the ST. Then, advertising for those extensions could be allowed. It could end the argument based on this new policy.
Their argument is that “what extensions are okay or not okay for Scratch is just not in the scope of what we do”
I'm saying that people can request Scratch-allowed extensions and then the ST and/or good, trusted, multi-language coders can see if they are safe. Also you can use simple code to do it automatically.
What if say i made an extension, then it got approved, then i added some code that gets all the users info. Thats why they can't do that
Then a bot would constantly check the extension and only one version would be approved at a time.

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
dual_creator43
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't know what to say. At least we can still use the extensions; you have to be thankful for that. (That is, unless you don't have and don't want to have said extensions. I have one of them.) When I got the message from the ST, I wanted to keep it at first, but then I realized the alert about didn't go away.

I'm dual_creator43, and I hope I've done well with anything. (Projects, forum replies, etc.) My Scratch habits include:
  • checking my inbox
  • being active in the forums
  • working on my projects (sometimes)
Check out more about me by clicking here or here. Happy Scratching!

My most famous quote: “Nothing good ever comes from posting near the end of a page.”
This is probably the best post anyone has ever made for me.
Don't you hate it when your signature isn't big enough to show everything you put in it?

But I guess it doesn't matter since you're (probably) using Shift+↓.
MClovers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wow. Just wow. I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth.
You guys remove everything for no reason.

President of Scratch ShopBux
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

MClovers wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth.
You guys remove everything for no reason.
I wouldn't call that no reason…

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

SuperBranYT wrote:

Why cant we advertise? to stop spam?
If you read the first post, you'll understand

PackersRuleGoPack
Scratcher
1000+ posts

myed wrote:

I don't like this change. At all. No way, Nada, no. And I spent too much time on that GIF.
I have been developing a Scratch extension which added many useful features to Scratch, and to not be able to share it… well….
lol dat gif tho

Last edited by PackersRuleGoPack (Dec. 1, 2017 05:21:42)

Hi I'm making an FREE app for Scratch called Scratch Hub. Checkout the sneak peek here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/324532222/

THE APP IS OUT: Click the link on this website to get to the app: https://scratchhub.ml

Also, I made a game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/326163967
zafzaf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

meh

“that's life, goofball, sometimes you lose people. sometimes you lose people you care about. and you never see them again. and the worst part is, you never even get a chance to apologize to them for letting them down.”

give me an internet so I can feel better about myself

Miastonished
Scratcher
100+ posts

World_Languages wrote:

Ok. I'll take a breath and actually implement that in my mind (this is a big change to my Scratch habits) and then I'll see what I'll do with isOnline. Thinking of deleting it from the store would be a good first approach, I guess.
I am so sad

not active on forums
Miastonished
Scratcher
100+ posts

RosyStar wrote:

That's unfair. I have scratchmoji and isonline and i might not be able to use them anymore (
U can still use them (I have them to along with Master Scratch Userscript and I am Supa Sad now)

not active on forums
CostmoGames
Scratcher
9 posts

ceebee wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to announce today that we’re shifting our policy related to browser extensions, userscripts, and other similar external software. We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch.

Browser-based extensions and userscripts can be risky because they can get access to everything you do online. This means that they could potentially get information about the websites you visit, collect private information about you, and change what you see in ways you don’t expect. In the past, we have allowed these to be advertised on Scratch because they can also be fun, safe, and helpful tools – and because we’ve seen that Scratchers can learn a lot by making them. But we feel the risks and potential harm outweigh these benefits.

Because of this, we will now be removing comments, projects, forum posts, user profile information, or other content that reference any browser extension or userscript. In general, we encourage you to use these tools only if they were created by people or organizations you trust.

Thanks,
Scratch Team

- - - - - - -

Frequently Asked Questions:

When does this go into effect?
Right away.

Will I get in trouble for things I’ve already shared about a browser extension/userscript?
No. We will begin the process of removing content that has already been shared on Scratch. This will not count against you, so no need to worry about that Going forward, we ask that you do not share or advertise browser extensions/userscripts as it could lead to moderations actions against your account.

What if I’ve already downloaded a browser extension?
You should look through your browser extensions and delete any that weren’t created by people or organizations you trust. You might even want to reread their privacy policies to make sure you’re okay with everything the extensions are doing.

Should I report content referencing a browser extension/userscript?
Yes.

What about Scratch extensions?
Those are a different thing! It’s totally cool to share Scratch extensions, like the ones found in the Scratch editor or on scratchx.org. We’re only talking about browser extensions (like Firefox and Chrome extensions).

thanks, i lost a crown
CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

Thats unlucky, But i still have the online settings of it.

Isonline got shut downed. The end.
CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

DaEpikDude wrote:

Whitetiger456 wrote:

acduckii_rises wrote:

I want my crown back. You've gone too far with these policies and now we request that you stop. This is unfair. And you're about to delete ANY comments/conversations mentioning an extension? THIS? THIS IS NOT OKAY. THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOW. #StopUnfairST
#StopUnfairST! i support you! till the brich off permanent ban!
We've been over this already with #BringItBack and #DownWithTheMessagePage / #BringItBackAgain. It's not going to happen.
To you I say…
#No_Mas_BringItBackAgainAgain

I agree dude, They need to handle change. (Not trying to be rude, just giving them critism)

#No_Mas_BringItBackAgain

CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

LuisBarretoHD wrote:

I agree with the rules. There will be no longer isOnline spamming/advertising. I hate when people advertise links to browser extensions which gets annoying.

I Agree with you. But I still like IsOnline, but there should be no spamming.

CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

World_Languages wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

So, no advertising but we can keep the extensions? What about **? Will the emojis still work, or…
Yes they will still work
Okay, so the words (youknowwhat) and iO are ** now?
No, I'm just doing that so my posts are ok, I'm not sure how much you can talk about extensions.

MinecraftM153 wrote:

Honestly, I'm not affected by this at all.

I-I'm just losing my crown, t-that's all…

im totally not sad amirite
Maybe we'll give the crown to all users (:

Just get their crowns if they have Isonline for 1 Month.

CD20Superness
Scratcher
72 posts

FoxMichael777444 wrote:

Is it our faults for downloading the Isonlines? I kind of feel guilty after using isonline.

No, because of the advertisments.

Donsje_Partner
Scratcher
48 posts

Understandable. It's for our own safety.

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[Donsje_Partner] = [Cool]> then
go to [his profile]
end
end