Discuss Scratch

zaid1442011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

MacOS is a prison
As a person who likes owning my computer and having control over the OS that runs on it I agree!
You can install windows on a Mac using bootcamp on intel macs

I am a guy who codes weird stuff. Don’t check my GitHub only if you want stupid HTML pages (or something to host them). Check my platformer if you want to see something to see.

Profiles: GitHub.
You won't understand stuff in my signature because I talk about stuff in the ATs (Advanced Topics).
Check out this song for @griffpatch https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/887382049/

zaid1442011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

The problem of Linux is that it doesn’t have wide application support, which is why the percentage is low, which is why it doesn’t have wide application support, which is why the percentage is low, and vise versa.
What kind of stuff would you want to do on Linux?

For general document editing, there is LibreOffice and OpenOffice
For gaming, there is Proton and WINE
For programming, there is massive support for code editors, compilers, and interpreters
Exactly. There's this thing called “options”. You don't have to use the proprietary software made by big corporations.
If I ended up on a computer running Windows, I would use Linux. I am talking about people who want to keep using software made by big corporations. BTW, the software I use has Linux support (cause I can use it online), and I am happy to use alternatives for some software like Safari. ( I can actually make Firefox look like Safari, and also Linux entirely.) I was talking about people thinking that Chrome is the only browser that exists. (Chrome is supported in Linux anyway(but I won’t use it.).)

I am a guy who codes weird stuff. Don’t check my GitHub only if you want stupid HTML pages (or something to host them). Check my platformer if you want to see something to see.

You won't understand stuff in my signature because I talk about stuff in the ATs (Advanced Topics).

applejuiceproduc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

zaid1442011 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

The problem of Linux is that it doesn’t have wide application support, which is why the percentage is low, which is why it doesn’t have wide application support, which is why the percentage is low, and vise versa.

For programming, there is massive support for code editors, compilers, and interpreters
Exactly. There's this thing called “options”. You don't have to use the proprietary software made by big corporations.
If I ended up on a computer running Windows, I would use Linux. I am talking about people who want to keep using software made by big corporations. BTW, the software I use has Linux support (cause I can use it online), and I am happy to use alternatives for some software like Safari. ( I can actually make Firefox look like Safari, and also Linux entirely.) I was talking about people thinking that Chrome is the only browser that exists. (Chrome is supported in Linux anyway(but I won’t use it.).)
you use safari? I just use chrome on my mac and if I was gonna use something else it would be firefox.

A signature
zaid1442011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

applejuiceproduc wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

you use safari? I just use chrome on my mac and if I was gonna use something else it would be firefox.
Yes. Because, my mom backs up her photos on the laptop, and my brother downloading weird stuff and I use like 1 GB on the laptop (I store most stuff on iCloud). So there are 20 GB left on the laptop which my mom will use some of it to “backup” photos on the laptop. And my father has a PC for himself. And I expect getting a new Mac soon. So my mom installed Chrome before I first used the laptop. So I used it for Dev tools. (I didn’t know at the time that Safari had this option hidden in Settings) Then I stopped using Chrome, but I only use it for Scratch for….. Extensions.

zaid1442011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

ajskateboarder wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

I know I was just talking about people who think there are no alternatives to the service to use.

I found that Steam supports Linux. What is Proton and WINE.
And the software I use has Linux support anyway, but I can’t install anything on 20GB remaining laptop. Not even Linux itself.

ScratchcatandGobo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

zaid1442011 wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

zaid1442011 wrote:

I know I was just talking about people who think there are no alternatives to the service to use.

I found that Steam supports Linux. What is Proton and WINE.
And the software I use has Linux support anyway, but I can’t install anything on 20GB remaining laptop. Not even Linux itself.
Wine is a program that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux. Proton does the same, but for games.

Yeah, but at least we've learned something today… that every moment of our life should be lived to the fullest because it can be very long or very short, my friend. - Gumball
I felt like I wanted to develop games on here, so I won't leave! (for now)
(last edited 2/8/24)

ScratchcatandGobo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

I want to make a simple Linux distro. What should I base it off? (I want a basic non-gui Linux distro that DOESN'T NEED ETHERNET. My parents hate ethernet for some reason.)

Yeah, but at least we've learned something today… that every moment of our life should be lived to the fullest because it can be very long or very short, my friend. - Gumball
(last edited 2/8/24)

applejuiceproduc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

I want to make a simple Linux distro. What should I base it off? (I want a basic non-gui Linux distro that DOESN'T NEED ETHERNET. My parents hate ethernet for some reason.)
arch because archiso and you can make it work pretty easily with wifi

That's if you want to make an iso with it, if you don't then it really doesn't matter, although arch is pretty barebones.

A signature
PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

Perhaps Arch. It's a simple distro without a GUI that has a package manager and terminal and login screen built in.

Fun fact: If you have malware on a Windows NT device, it's possible that deleting system32 will severely damage the malware. It will also damage your Windows install.

Help keep this topic alive!

The rest of my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat attacked by a terrible president who ate my banana shot down this signature instead of shooting down the TikTok Cell Tower white balloon that probably had a camera bundled with it.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1isnZw.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg
ScratchcatandGobo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

I just installed arch with XFCE

(last edited 2/8/24)

ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

PPPDUD wrote:

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

Perhaps Arch. It's a simple distro without a GUI that has a package manager and terminal and login screen built in.
Don't most, if not all Linux distros have login screens?
PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

ajskateboarder wrote:

PPPDUD wrote:

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

Not all of them.

Fun fact: If you have malware on a Windows NT device, it's possible that deleting system32 will severely damage the malware. It will also damage your Windows install.

Help keep this topic alive!

The rest of my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat attacked by a terrible president who ate my banana shot down this signature instead of shooting down the TikTok Cell Tower white balloon that probably had a camera bundled with it.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1isnZw.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

PPPDUD wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

PPPDUD wrote:

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

Not all of them.
All Linux distributions TTYs. These present a login screen. Also, Arch only doesn't have a GUI if the user hasn't installed one. It doesn't have a standard out of the box configuration, its how the user sets it up.

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Aug. 19, 2023 23:25:15)

sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

PPPDUD wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

PPPDUD wrote:

ScratchcatandGobo wrote:

Not all of them.
All Linux distributions TTYs. These present a login screen. Also, Arch only doesn't have a GUI if the user hasn't installed one. It doesn't have a standard out of the box configuration, its how the user sets it up.
Technically no, as in rare cases some distros set /bin/sh as the init.

“It seems I am not the only spy.”
“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”
“That Spy is an enemy!”
“That Spy is not one of us!”
TheSecondGilbert
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

We all know what things we like on Linux (that's why we like using them, aren't we?)

But what are the things you don't like about Linux? (and other OSes other than the Big Two, I guess)

Hi! This is an alt of my main account.
I'm “back” from a 10-month hiatus.
I forgot the ways of the forums, so I might be wrong.
My first post!
__Falcon-Games__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

the best os.

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

We all know what things we like on Linux (that's why we like using them, aren't we?)

But what are the things you don't like about Linux? (and other OSes other than the Big Two, I guess)
It could be more user-friendly for non-technical people.

Last edited by __Falcon-Games__ (Aug. 20, 2023 11:55:22)

Try out Noml!
-ElectronicArts-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

__Falcon-Games__ wrote:

the best os.

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

Yeah like arch. but Ubuntu is user-friendly.

__Falcon-Games__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

-ElectronicArts- wrote:

__Falcon-Games__ wrote:

the best os.

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

By the way I use MacOS but if my parents would get me Linux then I would switch to that. I have gotten experience with Unix because of using MacOS.

Last edited by __Falcon-Games__ (Aug. 20, 2023 13:58:45)

Try out Noml!
zaid1442011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

__Falcon-Games__ wrote:

-ElectronicArts- wrote:

__Falcon-Games__ wrote:

the best os.

TheSecondGilbert wrote:

By the way I use MacOS but if my parents would get me Linux then I would switch to that. I have gotten experience with Unix because of using MacOS.
You can use a VM or search YouTube for a tutorial on installing Linux for Macs.

davidtheplatform
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

This is more of a gnome thing but windows are grouped together in the alt-tab menu. MacOS also does this and its stupid.
Also USB headphones don't work for some reason. Interestingly on windows the 8mm jack doesn't work but it does in linux

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.