Discuss Scratch

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

scimonster wrote:

scratchisthebest wrote:

I'm stuck with Window$.
No you're not. You can dual-boot. You don't even need to be an admin on the computer. *wicked grin*
Well, it's not my computer to install things on.

There is the other computer though… #!

I am a Lava Expert
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

somelia wrote:

I love Linux, but my dad won't let me install it.
Boot it from a usb. It won't install it on the computer. Though it gives you the option to do so. There are plenty of tutorials online.
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

I want to boot Ubuntu 12.04 from a usb, because I've never used Linux before, but Windows 8 just keeps booting to Windows 8.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

cobraguy wrote:

I want to boot Ubuntu 12.04 from a usb, because I've never used Linux before, but Windows 8 just keeps booting to Windows 8.
Did you buy the computer with Windows 8 already installed? If you did it probably has secure boot enabled.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

Did you buy the computer with Windows 8 already installed? If you did it probably has secure boot enabled.
If not, remember to bash the fn keys until it goes to the BIOS screens and you can select to boot from the drive. Alternatively if your device is too old, it may not support USB booting at all.

Back from hiatus?
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

Yes, Windows 8 was already installed. I disabled it but it still boots to Windows 8.

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

If not, remember to bash the fn keys until it goes to the BIOS screens and you can select to boot from the drive. Alternatively if your device is too old, it may not support USB booting at all.
I just got the laptop (would the fact that it's a laptop make a difference) a couple months ago.

Last edited by cobraguy (Aug. 11, 2013 12:41:13)

16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

Yes, Windows 8 was already installed. I disabled it but it still boots to Windows 8.

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

I just got the laptop (would the fact that it's a laptop make a difference) a couple months ago.
No, having a laptop shouldn't make a difference. If anything, it's more important for laptops now to boot from USB since the CD drive is beginning to disappear.

Were you hitting the fn keys? (By this I mean the f1-f12) Most computers are configured to boot directly to the HDD by default, so even if there is bootable media available it would still go straight to Windows 8.

Back from hiatus?
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

16Skittles wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

No, having a laptop shouldn't make a difference. If anything, it's more important for laptops now to boot from USB since the CD drive is beginning to disappear.

Were you hitting the fn keys? (By this I mean the f1-f12) Most computers are configured to boot directly to the HDD by default, so even if there is bootable media available it would still go straight to Windows 8.
I have to do an advanced startup that will allow me to get to that menu thing by pressing f12. It will let me select the USB to boot from, when I select it, it just boots back up to Windows 8.
wolves4ever10
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

I have Ubuntu 12.04 dual booted with Windows 8. It's great!
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

I have to do an advanced startup that will allow me to get to that menu thing by pressing f12. It will let me select the USB to boot from, when I select it, it just boots back up to Windows 8.
Your USB drive might not be ‘burned’ correctly. Make sure you've actually burned the .iso image onto the USB, rather than simply moving the files from inside the iso, or moving the iso itself onto the root of the USB drive.

instructions for ubuntu
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Does anyone know how to remove Ubuntu from a USB without formatting it? Do I just delete the files or is the something else I have to do?

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Ubuntu from a USB without formatting it? Do I just delete the files or is the something else I have to do?
The installation probably formatted the USB as the Linux file format (ext or something), so it would be best to format it.
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

jji7skyline wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

Your USB drive might not be ‘burned’ correctly. Make sure you've actually burned the .iso image onto the USB, rather than simply moving the files from inside the iso, or moving the iso itself onto the root of the USB drive.

instructions for ubuntu
Those are the instructions I followed.
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

cobraguy wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

instructions for ubuntu
Try redoing it, or doing it manually. If it still doesn't work, it might be a problem with your computer. I'm not familiar with Windows 8 so I can't help you there I'm afraid.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

The installation probably formatted the USB as the Linux file format (ext or something), so it would be best to format it.
The installer didn't format the USB. The file system is FAT32 otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it on Windows.

;
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

The installer didn't format the USB. The file system is FAT32 otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it on Windows.
Then just delete all the files (there's probably a few invisible ones too, so watch out), and use it.

EDIT: Not sure how it works on windows, but on mac when you delete files on a drive, it goes to a trash folder on that drive, so make sure you empty the trash, otherwise the files aren't deleted and you don't free up any space.

Last edited by jji7skyline (Aug. 13, 2013 09:39:09)

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Then just delete all the files (there's probably a few invisible ones too, so watch out), and use it.

EDIT: Not sure how it works on windows, but on mac when you delete files on a drive, it goes to a trash folder on that drive, so make sure you empty the trash, otherwise the files aren't deleted and you don't free up any space.
I wish files deleted on a USB on Windows would go the trash/recycle bin but instead they are permanently deleted. It would be very useful. Ubuntu moves deleted files to a trash folder on USB drives like Mac. And yeah I have an app that shows/hides hidden files on my Mac so I can see hidden stuff which is very useful.

Last edited by nathanprocks (Aug. 13, 2013 09:58:49)

;
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

jji7skyline wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

instructions for ubuntu
Try redoing it, or doing it manually. If it still doesn't work, it might be a problem with your computer. I'm not familiar with Windows 8 so I can't help you there I'm afraid.
Ya, I'm just gonna do it again, maybe something went wrong while it was burning the iso on the USB. Thanks everyone for all yall's help!
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

I believe Windows simply erases the files (though it may simply mark them as erased and over-writable.)

Keep in mind though that if you simply delete the files, your drive might still have boot flags on it that you'll want to remove.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Harakou wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

I believe Windows simply erases the files (though it may simply mark them as erased and over-writable.)

Keep in mind though that if you simply delete the files, your drive might still have boot flags on it that you'll want to remove.
Yeah I can't remember how to remove those.

;