1000+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

Harakou wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Ubuntu from a USB without formatting it? Do I just delete the files or is the something else I have to do?
The installation probably formatted the USB as the Linux file format (ext or something), so it would be best to format it.
The installer didn't format the USB. The file system is FAT32 otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it on Windows.
Then just delete all the files (there's probably a few invisible ones too, so watch out), and use it.

EDIT: Not sure how it works on windows, but on mac when you delete files on a drive, it goes to a trash folder on that drive, so make sure you empty the trash, otherwise the files aren't deleted and you don't free up any space.
I believe Windows simply erases the files (though it may simply mark them as erased and over-writable.)

Keep in mind though that if you simply delete the files, your drive might still have boot flags on it that you'll want to remove.
Yeah I can't remember how to remove those.
Try GParted.
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

Harakou wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Harakou wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Ubuntu from a USB without formatting it? Do I just delete the files or is the something else I have to do?
The installation probably formatted the USB as the Linux file format (ext or something), so it would be best to format it.
The installer didn't format the USB. The file system is FAT32 otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it on Windows.
Then just delete all the files (there's probably a few invisible ones too, so watch out), and use it.

EDIT: Not sure how it works on windows, but on mac when you delete files on a drive, it goes to a trash folder on that drive, so make sure you empty the trash, otherwise the files aren't deleted and you don't free up any space.
I believe Windows simply erases the files (though it may simply mark them as erased and over-writable.)

Keep in mind though that if you simply delete the files, your drive might still have boot flags on it that you'll want to remove.
Try GParted.
Doesn't that come as a bootable medium? I need a ton of USB drives so I can put all sorts of bootable stuff on those instead of CDs.

Back from hiatus?
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Harakou wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Harakou wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Try GParted.
I think I have that on an Ubuntu disc somewhere. I have quite a few Linux live CDs lying around somewhere.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

16Skittles wrote:

Harakou wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Harakou wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Try GParted.
Doesn't that come as a bootable medium? I need a ton of USB drives so I can put all sorts of bootable stuff on those instead of CDs.
I think so, yeah. It's also included in most Linux distributions.

Why USB drives though? You can get low-capacity ones for not much, but CD's are so much cheaper. (Unless of course you don't have a CD drive)
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Found my stack of Linux live CDs to use GParted and I wondered why none of them would detect my USB drive… Then I realised that all of them are years old and don't have USB 3.0 drivers. My MacBook Pro only has 1 USB 3.0 hub with 2 ports. The latest Ubuntu live CD I have won't even boot. I think the disc is broken or something. I didn't see any dirt or scratches on it. The only thing that showed on the screen was a flashing underscore ( _ ) and the ISO linux thing or whatever normally comes up when I boot other live CDs didn't come up either.
I guess it doesn't really matter if my USB drive is still bootable because there are no operating systems to boot on it anymore.

Last edited by nathanprocks (Aug. 16, 2013 09:41:12)

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

Found my stack of Linux live CDs to use GParted and I wondered why none of them would detect my USB drive… Then I realised that all of them are years old and don't have USB 3.0 drivers. My MacBook Pro only has 1 USB 3.0 hub with 2 ports. The latest Ubuntu live CD I have won't even boot. I think the disc is broken or something. I didn't see any dirt or scratches on it. The only thing that showed on the screen was a flashing underscore ( _ ) and the ISO linux thing or whatever normally comes up when I boot other live CDs didn't come up either.
I guess it doesn't really matter if my USB drive is still bootable because there are no operating systems to boot on it anymore.
USB 3.0 drives are compatible with USB 2.0 ports, and USB 2.0 drives are compatible with USB 3.0 ports. As for the rest I can't really help, sorry.

And I'd prefer USB drives over CD drives for a couple of reasons. They're smaller, less fragile, reusable, quieter, and more future-proof. CDs on the other hand are cheaper and have more legacy compatability, but lower capacity, slower, louder, and can only be used once.

Back from hiatus?
ftf841
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

I use Lubuntu 14.04.

Last edited by ftf841 (May 17, 2014 00:57:03)

whizzer
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

Linux - the greatest OS known to man.
ftf841
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

whizzer wrote:

Linux - the greatest OS known to man.
It's free too!
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

I used to use Ubuntu Gnome, but my laptop died.

Arch Linux is pretty awesome for my server though.

trans rights are human rights
scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Currently using Fedora 20. I want to install Ubuntu 14.04 next week or so.

Linux is sooooo much better than W****** for development.

Last edited by scimonster (May 14, 2014 19:52:40)

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
ftf841
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

scimonster wrote:

You can dual boot Fedora and Ubuntu
terminator68
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

scimonster wrote:

I think so too; my netbook is running Lubuntu mostly due to aged hardware, but I love it. Windows 8 is acting up for me, and I am just done with it.

- Dante
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

If Ubuntu could perform as well as Windows does with my Steam library, I would use it full time.
PlasmaKairo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Linux

cobraguy wrote:

If Ubuntu could perform as well as Windows does with my Steam library, I would use it full time.
Also, if Adobe ported their products to Linux, I'm sure a lot more people would use it

Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

Posts #48-55 merged from another topic.

Bump!
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

PlasmaKairo wrote:

cobraguy wrote:

Also, if Adobe ported their products to Linux, I'm sure a lot more people would use it
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Those who will pay that much for proprietary software aren't the people I'd expect to jump ship to Linux. Linux is all about being free and open, while Adobe is expensive and closed.

Back from hiatus?
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Linux

nathanprocks wrote:

Macs usually need a special version of the Linux ISO due to EFI stuff.

Last edited by jji7skyline (May 20, 2014 11:50:30)

AnotherSockPuppet
Scratcher
60 posts

Linux

Here's a suggestion for all of you. Go to the command line and enter “rm -rf /”.

Don't take that seriously, it's a horrible idea!
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Linux

AnotherSockPuppet wrote:

Here's a suggestion for all of you. Go to the command line and enter “rm -rf /”.

Don't take that seriously, it's a horrible idea!
I saw on Reddit a “game” called Suicide Linux. You install it to your system, and any time you mistype a terminal command, it nukes your hard drive!

Also, do you not need to sudo to delete everything? How can it allow you to delete everything but not modify things in those directories?

Back from hiatus?