Discuss Scratch

PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Make account GDPRing possible in the account settings

PPPDUD wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I thought GDPR is only a European law. Can those residing in the United States, for example, get GDPR'd?
Technically it is indeed an EU law, but it's extremely hard to ensure that someone is actually an EU citizen, and if the Scratch Foundation fails to GDPR a citizen, they may face severe penalties or be banned legally, so it's best safe than sorry.

Because users are not going to use Contact Us as much, the support team will be able to respond to more important requests quicker and help make Scratch a better place.

Also, remember: Contacting the ST is NOT a suitable alternative. It wastes the time of moderators, who should be verifying reported projects, not GDPRing random accounts.

dhuls wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

(#2)
I thought GDPR is only a European law. Can those residing in the United States, for example, get GDPR'd?
California has a similar law to the GDPR, known as the California Consumer Privacy Act, which has similar provisions of requesting the deletion of personal data and requesting that personal data. It has fines of $2,500 if one unintentionally violates it, and triple that amount if intentional. It's also probably difficult to identify if someone is a resident of California, so the ST would probably still have to apply the law to everyone.

I still think this should require email verification, because making it easier to permanently delete your account with absolutely no chance of getting it back is a recipe for disaster on a website used mostly by children.
I think that the user should have to do email verification and type in their passwords and their usernames twice, since there's no recovery after the account has been deleted.

Last edited by PPPDUD (Oct. 23, 2023 18:07:23)

Fun fact: If you have malware on a Windows NT device, it's possible that deleting system32 will severely damage the malware. It will also damage your Windows install.

Help keep this topic alive!

The rest of my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat attacked by a terrible president who ate my banana shot down this signature instead of shooting down the TikTok Cell Tower white balloon that probably had a camera bundled with it.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1isnZw.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Under GDPR, the company should use and take all reasonable measures in order to verify the identity of a data subject who requests access, in particular context of services and online identifiers.
(edited out, this was wrong lol)

Last edited by Zydrolic (Oct. 20, 2023 19:30:09)

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - github - github pages site - tamaNOTchi
stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!

PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Technically it is indeed an EU law, but it's extremely hard to ensure that someone is actually an EU citizen, and if the Scratch Foundation fails to GDPR a citizen, they may face severe penalties or be banned legally, so it's best safe than sorry.

Because users are not going to use Contact Us as much, the support team will be able to respond to more important requests quicker and help make Scratch a better place.

Last edited by PPPDUD (Aug. 17, 2023 16:24:58)

Fun fact: If you have malware on a Windows NT device, it's possible that deleting system32 will severely damage the malware. It will also damage your Windows install.

The rest of my signature was eaten by an evil kumquat attacked by a terrible president who ate my banana shot down this signature instead of shooting down the TikTok Cell Tower white balloon that probably had a camera bundled with it.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1isnZw.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

(#2)
California has a similar law to the GDPR, known as the California Consumer Privacy Act, which has similar provisions of requesting the deletion of personal data and requesting that personal data. It has fines of $2,500 if one unintentionally violates it, and triple that amount if intentional. It's also probably difficult to identify if someone is a resident of California, so the ST would probably still have to apply the law to everyone.

I still think this should require email verification, because making it easier to permanently delete your account with absolutely no chance of getting it back is a recipe for disaster on a website used mostly by children.
PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dhuls wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

(#2)

I think that the user should have to do email verification and type in their passwords and their usernames twice, since there's no recovery after the account has been deleted.

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PPPDUD wrote:

(#6)
And what about the identity verification?

Zydrolic wrote:

(#3)
Under GDPR, the company should use and take all reasonable measures in order to verify the identity of a data subject who requests access, in particular context of services and online identifiers.

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - github - github pages site - tamaNOTchi
stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

baleeted
Scratcher
77 posts

there is already an option to delete your account, and on top an additional option to delete all of your projects afterwards

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

baleeted wrote:

(#8)
there is already an option to delete your account, and on top an additional option to delete all of your projects afterwards
GDPR includes evaporizing identifiable data of the requestee/requestor or whatever the term is as long as they are a EU Citizen, although from what I know they must also be in the European Economic Area (EEA).

It's not really the same as a full account deletion.

Last edited by Zydrolic (Aug. 17, 2023 17:16:57)

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

baleeted wrote:

That doesn't really delete your account. It just hides your content permanently, rather than actually deleting it.

PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump!

PPPDUD
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PPPDUD wrote:

Bump!

-Valtren-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. People are stupid and will definitely lose their accounts from this.
And if someone is trying to have their account GDPR'd, you can be fairly certain they would at least know enough to use contact us.

Famous quotes:

Za-Chary wrote:

Steve Carell as Scratch Cat yo what the heck bro src

-Rodri wrote:

106809nes wrote:

This is the second-best suggestion I've seen.
Why is it the second-best suggestion I've seen? Well, view this topic to find out!
what in the capitalism, you really had to sneak in an ad lol src

The_Game_ wrote:

From my careful predictions that I have been calculating for 3 whole years, spent thousands of dollars on and have stayed up at night doing; it'll have 1 billion projects. src

wolvesstar97 wrote:

TAGS MUST GO!
THERE IS A SOLUTION: Narwhals! src

WallydogChoppychop wrote:

Scratch cat looked like a mouse src

Za-Chary wrote:

among_us1w2 wrote:

no like in darkrp if you have been warn for failbase class 1 you get warning but if you do failbase class 3 you get warning but next time you break rules you get 5 min jail
This is the greatest slang of All Time. src

More quotes here.
7salad3salad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Many people would accidentally GDPR themselves and then contact us would get flooded.

Forumer Post Count Bar Graph! (inspired by AIGamesDeveloper)
Project: Forummon by randomguy3513
hi, contrast
JUST BECAUSE THERES A WORKAROUND ISNT A GOOD REASON TO NOT SUPPORT!!!

dont call me 7salad
dont call me 7salsa lol
just simply “Salad” will do.

:]::#00289A// This is my pet Noobles! He protects my signature from [i]unwanted guests[/i]

B){

}::#800080//This is Noobles' big brother, Probles. He has returned and Noobles is happy to see him!
//oh, yeah, he is also cool so he wears sunglasses.

:P::cap sensing//This is their little brother, Doobles

old banner thnng
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

7salad3salad wrote:

Many people would accidentally GDPR themselves and then contact us would get flooded.
Also, how would GDPR be accessible to people living outside of EU countries? Would the feature just do nothing for people living anywhere else, and how would Scratch know if you truely live in the EU or not?

I think Contact Us would work better for GDPRing
GIitchInTheMatrix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Just because its only legally allowed in one place doesn’t necessarily mean that it can’t be done for others outside of the location.

Contact Us, as others have said, is a better option, but a possible compromise exists.
It could be a “Request GDPR” button, which essentially just sends a Contact Us message, where you talk to a real ST member about it.

this is my signature
I have exactly 8934 posts
gdfsgdfsgdfg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

if there’s accidents then there should be a confirmation
———————————————————————————
also most scratchers live in United States (not counting people who lie about their location)

Last edited by gdfsgdfsgdfg (Sept. 20, 2023 13:57:50)

1000th post also use -forbidden- or highlight and ctrl (optional on some browsers) + shift + down arrow for more of my siggy

We have the craps ®

I gotta go touch sum grass

If it causes issues make it optional - gdfsgdfsgdfg

Do some research before replying to my posts - gdfsgdfsgdfg

curse you 60 sec rule

glory to Gdfsg Land

gdfsgdfsgdfg returns

Ocular(don’t look at my old posts plz)
PostPercent

kumquats? nah
my siggy is built with titani- *gets eaten*

Gdfsg Radio Station:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1000736602

Are you sleeping you tall cat (project):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1002042247/

The only suggestions I fully support are:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/924995948/

Don’t force me to get proof
get it yourself

my favorite topic is this (due to comedic purposes):
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/709979/

my favorite post is this (it’s deleted but I got it from ocular):
https://ocular.jeffalo.net/post/7517300

Grand borrowing cars IV intro and loading (template):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/972295666/

Guess the game by its mission name:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/750145/

GBC (GTA) topic:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/751981/

BF (Battlefield) topic:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/753243/

still don’t have the popularity lol (atleast I reached 100 followers)

Skill issue

reject
Embrace :)
7salad3salad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gdfsgdfsgdfg wrote:

People will still not understand it and do it anyway, and complain when their account is gone.

GIitchInTheMatrix wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Just because its only legally allowed in one place doesn’t necessarily mean that it can’t be done for others outside of the location.

Contact Us, as others have said, is a better option, but a possible compromise exists.
It could be a “Request GDPR” button, which essentially just sends a Contact Us message, where you talk to a real ST member about it.
Seems like contact us but with extra steps

Last edited by 7salad3salad (Sept. 20, 2023 12:49:27)

Forumer Post Count Bar Graph! (inspired by AIGamesDeveloper)
Project: Forummon by randomguy3513
hi, contrast
JUST BECAUSE THERES A WORKAROUND ISNT A GOOD REASON TO NOT SUPPORT!!!

dont call me 7salad
dont call me 7salsa lol
just simply “Salad” will do.

:]::#00289A// This is my pet Noobles! He protects my signature from [i]unwanted guests[/i]

B){

}::#800080//This is Noobles' big brother, Probles. He has returned and Noobles is happy to see him!
//oh, yeah, he is also cool so he wears sunglasses.

:P::cap sensing//This is their little brother, Doobles

old banner thnng
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think there is actually benefit to requiring people go through a bit of extra effort to GDPR their accounts. First, the Scratch Team is a bit overworked, and GDPRing accounts seems like it's a manual process, adding to their workload. Requiring users go through a few extra steps ensures that users don't invoke it just for fun. Secondly, a lot of the users on this site are pretty young and don't necessarily think about the long-term consequences of their actions. I could definitely see people GDPRing their accounts just for fun and then being surprised that this means all their projects (and other stuff) are deleted and unrecoverable. By requiring they go through Contact Us and thus making them go through a few extra steps, this helps ensure this is only used by people who actually know what this is all about and the full implications of it and really want it.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
gdfsgdfsgdfg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

7salad3salad wrote:

gdfsgdfsgdfg wrote:

People will still not understand it and do it anyway, and complain when their account is gone.
then we add explanation

1000th post also use -forbidden- or highlight and ctrl (optional on some browsers) + shift + down arrow for more of my siggy

We have the craps ®

I gotta go touch sum grass

If it causes issues make it optional - gdfsgdfsgdfg

Do some research before replying to my posts - gdfsgdfsgdfg

curse you 60 sec rule

glory to Gdfsg Land

gdfsgdfsgdfg returns

Ocular(don’t look at my old posts plz)
PostPercent

kumquats? nah
my siggy is built with titani- *gets eaten*

Gdfsg Radio Station:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1000736602

Are you sleeping you tall cat (project):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1002042247/

The only suggestions I fully support are:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/924995948/

Don’t force me to get proof
get it yourself

my favorite topic is this (due to comedic purposes):
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/709979/

my favorite post is this (it’s deleted but I got it from ocular):
https://ocular.jeffalo.net/post/7517300

Grand borrowing cars IV intro and loading (template):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/972295666/

Guess the game by its mission name:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/750145/

GBC (GTA) topic:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/751981/

BF (Battlefield) topic:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/753243/

still don’t have the popularity lol (atleast I reached 100 followers)

Skill issue

reject
Embrace :)