Down With Tinypic!

Sig changed to CubeUpload.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

Sig changed to CubeUpload.
Same (except the top part - it's a collab sig)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

No support, but if this is viewed as an actual problem, just add another image hosting to not force people who don't want to get accounts into Tinypic.

I've never actually seen a potentially malicious ad on the site, though…
(unless E*TRADE is malicious? :3)

Last edited by Firedrake969 (Dec. 6, 2014 21:08:23)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Firedrake969 wrote:

No support, but if this is viewed as an actual problem, just add another image hosting to not force people who don't want to get accounts into Tinypic.

Same, but cheeseeater has…

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

One out of?

'17 rickoid

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Suggestion: What if the Scratch team files a complaint to Tinypic? Instead of blacklisting Tinypic, we might potentially fix the problem from its source (and save many of the current images on Scratch from destruction )
Requoted so that Scratch team might see this.

#BringBackDiscuss
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

One out of?
Well… tinypic does have pop-up ads and malicious ads. I agree that if we want to keep tinypic as a host, the ST has to do something before Scratch gets infected with a virus!

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Dec. 6, 2014 21:12:34)

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

^^^
Correction: Before Scratch users get viruses.

#BringBackDiscuss
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

One out of?
Who knows, if they use third party adverting agencies, then anything could pop up.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

^^^
Correction: Before Scratch users get viruses.
The Scratch servers could get a virus if we're not careful!

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

One out of?
Well… tinypic does have pop-up ads and malicious ads. I agree that if we want to keep tinypic as a host, the ST has to do something before Scratch gets infected with a virus!
An HTML image from another site cannot infect the original site… (assuming it's in an img tag)

Last edited by Firedrake969 (Dec. 6, 2014 21:19:11)

'17 rickoid

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

One out of?
An HTML image from another site cannot infect the original site… (assuming it's in an img tag)
Sorry… computer nerd idiot here.

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

-snip-
As per this

#BringBackDiscuss
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Changing my sig now…

If the ads are doing drive-by downloads, would AdBlock have prevented them?

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

stickfiregames wrote:

Changing my sig now…

If the ads are doing drive-by downloads, would AdBlock have prevented them?
I'm not sure how AdBlock works, but I think it blocks incoming domains (citation needed). The best way to avoid drive-by downloads is to install Avast!, Malwarebytes, AdBlockPlus and MalwarebytesAntiExploit. Those keep me protected.
peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

cheeseeater wrote:

I'm not sure how AdBlock works, but I think it blocks incoming domains (citation needed). The best way to avoid drive-by downloads is to install Avast!, Malwarebytes, AdBlockPlus and MalwarebytesAntiExploit. Those keep me protected.
Overkill you say? No such thing.

#BringBackDiscuss
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

Overkill you say? No such thing.
Ohhh, no; I just love my security software! <3 I also use Spybot - Search and Destroy and Hitmanpro.
Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Suggestion: What if the Scratch team files a complaint to Tinypic? Instead of blacklisting Tinypic, we might potentially fix the problem from its source (and save many of the current images on Scratch from destruction )
“Hey you, stop running ads that you need to make enough money to survive on your site. We blocked all image hosts except yours for some reason, and now our users don't want to see ads when uploading pictures.”
Requoted so you might see this

Last edited by Detriment (Dec. 6, 2014 22:06:03)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

“Hey you, stop running ads that you need to make enough money to survive on your site. We blocked all image hosts except yours for some reason, and now our users don't want to see ads when uploading pictures.”
Well, perhaps tone it down a bit on the message, ST (if you are taking a look at this…)…

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

I never said, “stop running advertisements altogether,” I meant “moderate the advertisements to filter out the malicious ones.”

#BringBackDiscuss