Discuss Scratch

Rey_venclaw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

planning forum <3

here’s the first paragraph of “what is autism”. ilex is working on a paragraph about how the spectrum works and what that means and doesn’t mean

autism is a neuro-developmental condition that affects many things, from social interactions to processing sensory input. autistic people’s brains work differently than the brains of people who don’t have autism. autism is a lifelong, genetic disability, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be cured! we can help autistic people by including and accommodating them instead of trying to fix them. around 2-3% of people are autistic, so you probably know someone on the autism spectrum.

❝ I'm Soki, co-leader of Non-Fi, and I am burdened with vacuums and ice cream❞
SawyerDrawsThings
Scratcher
38 posts

planning forum <3

I like that! it's simple and to the point, so easy to understand!
DonutsLikesNyanCat
Scratcher
100+ posts

planning forum <3

SawyerDrawsThings wrote:

I like that! it's simple and to the point, so easy to understand!
me too! I like how its not a whole essay about it, but enough for ppl 2 understand
KaleidoArts
Scratcher
18 posts

planning forum <3

I like that as well! After studying for the test I have tomorrow, I'll (try to) complete the history section of autism acceptance month.

Kaleido (Xe/Any)

-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

here’s the first paragraph of “what is autism”. ilex is working on a paragraph about how the spectrum works and what that means and doesn’t mean

autism is a neuro-developmental condition that affects many things, from social interactions to processing sensory input. autistic people’s brains work differently than the brains of people who don’t have autism. autism is a lifelong, genetic disability, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be cured! we can help autistic people by including and accommodating them instead of trying to fix them. around 2-3% of people are autistic, so you probably know someone on the autism spectrum.
looks great!
I'd personally say “people who aren't autistic” instead of “people who don't have autism” because the majority of the autistic community prefer identity-first language, but I understand some people are fine with either so it's ok if you don't want to change it, and it doesn't really matter very much.

I have a studio for new/hesitant forum users https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/34049909/
—–
Squi (she/they)
-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

corleonex wrote:

-Squiggle wrote:

yeah, so would you be able to make a project (or just link an image or whatever) with the colour palette, so people who want to draw our own profile picture can use those same colours in our art?
and you should go ahead and draw matching profile pictures with people's OCs if they want one, just be mindful that probably not everyone will want to take part in matching cuz there's a bunch of random different people here
/nf
yeah ofc!!! for anyone who wants them to be drawn just send me a project or pic of ur oc lol
cool nice

I have a studio for new/hesitant forum users https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/34049909/
—–
Squi (she/they)
_Dromaeosauridae_
Scratcher
45 posts

planning forum <3

Working on the intro! I don't thing I'll be able to do the the conclusion because I'm really having trouble with just the intro, but if something changes I'll tell you guys <3
Rey_venclaw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

planning forum <3

i was actually intentionally trying to mix up the language because last year an annoying number of people were complaining about it. similar to saying both awareness and acceptance, i was thinking if we say everything, less people will complain and say we said something wrong. but idk that might be not great, trying to cater to everyone when people are going to dislike us no matter what we do.

_Dromaeosauridae_
Scratcher
45 posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

i was actually intentionally trying to mix up the language because last year an annoying number of people were complaining about it. similar to saying both awareness and acceptance, i was thinking if we say everything, less people will complain and say we said something wrong. but idk that might be not great, trying to cater to everyone when people are going to dislike us no matter what we do.

You can never please everyone -_-

Last edited by _Dromaeosauridae_ (March 22, 2024 02:43:22)

-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

ah- interesting
yeah I generally go with whatever I'd like to see in the future and ignore everyone else lol, cuz it's a nice opportunity for progress
but that's an interesting technique! I'm kinda curious to know whether people would complain about it less or more. it would also show what kind of people use Scratch I guess, as when it comes to autism advocacy I am usually around people who strictly prefer “autistic” (or have to explain to neurotypicals that we prefer “autistic”) but I've seen a lot of people on Scratch be unbothered by it as well
this isn't intended as productive discussion btw, I just felt like rambling

—–
Squi (she/they)
_Dromaeosauridae_
Scratcher
45 posts

planning forum <3

English | Russian | French | Any other language?

Welcome to the Autism Acceptance\Awareness Studio! (We can change this if we decide on something
else, also should I add a 2024 here?) With this studio we hope to explain about misconceptions about
autism, raise support and awareness, and help people understand people with autism better. You don't
have to be autistic to join, and feel free to ask the managers questions!

【 TABLE OF CONTENTS 】
- Introduction
- What Autism Is
- History Of Autism Month
- Theme (autism and identity)
- Ways To Take Part In Autism Month
- Rules And guidelines
- How To Become A Curator
- How To add A Project If You're Not A Curator/What Projects To Add If You Are A Curator
- Manager Intros
- Conclusion

(What do you guys think about having a table of contents? Also if we do end up using one, we can always switch around the contents in what ever order it actually ends up being in. Does anyone have any other Ideas for the intro or something they think I should take out?)
-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Ballerina for the “how to become a curator” bit:

it looks like giving the option to EITHER fill out the curator form OR make a project (or both) is good, based on responses to my previous posts!

this (the lower example in the post) is the form template I suggested https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/7870936/ (with Soki's survey question included!)
so for “how to become a curator”, you can write something along those same lines just maybe cooler:
maybe copy-paste the curator form, and add like 1 sentence explaining what to do and 1 sentence explaining what kind of project to make, for those trying to make a project in order to join.

you could also optionally explain what the survey question is for (see https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/7870292/ ), but we might not have space for an explanation, so depends on how much space there is in the description.

hope that makes sense

—–
Squi (she/they)
-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

_Dromaeosauridae_ wrote:

English | Russian | French | Any other language?

Welcome to the Autism Acceptance\Awareness Studio! (We can change this if we decide on something
else, also should I add a 2024 here?) With this studio we hope to explain about misconceptions about
autism, raise support and awareness, and help people understand people with autism better. You don't
have to be autistic to join, and feel free to ask the managers questions!

【 TABLE OF CONTENTS 】
- Introduction
- What Autism Is
- History Of Autism Month
- Theme (autism and identity)
- Ways To Take Part In Autism Month
- Rules And guidelines
- How To Become A Curator
- How To add A Project If You're Not A Curator/What Projects To Add If You Are A Curator
- Manager Intros
- Conclusion

(What do you guys think about having a table of contents? Also if we do end up using one, we can always switch around the contents in what ever order it actually ends up being in. Does anyone have any other Ideas for the intro or something they think I should take out?)
this looks perfect! I love this
I like the idea of a table of contents, especially since the description may end up being quite long

—–
Squi (she/they)
Rey_venclaw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

planning forum <3

also because there are people who prefer saying they’re autistic, people who prefer saying they have autism, and people who prefer saying they’re on the autism spectrum, it’s also potentially more inclusive to have all three in the paragraph.
and also in like, standard good writing, you’re supposed to vary phrasing if you say the same thing essentially multiple times, it makes it easier to read, so there’s another potential benefit of including the different terms.
but if someone here is adamant about only using identify first language i’m cool with that too.

-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

_Dromaeosauridae_ wrote:

else, also should I add a 2024 here?)
I think it looks great both with or without 2024
if we want to add 2024, maybe like “Welcome to the 2024 Autism Acceptance\Awareness Studio!” or “Welcome to the Autism Acceptance\Awareness Studio (2024)!”
idk if we want to add “month” in there as well or whether it's irrelevant
what do you other guys think

—–
Squi (she/they)
Rey_venclaw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

planning forum <3

technically the slash being the other way ( / instead of \ ) is correct and also i believe the title has the words awareness and acceptance in the opposite order? so we might want to change that but we could also leave it as is.

-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

also because there are people who prefer saying they’re autistic, people who prefer saying they have autism, and people who prefer saying they’re on the autism spectrum, it’s also potentially more inclusive to have all three in the paragraph.
and also in like, standard good writing, you’re supposed to vary phrasing if you say the same thing essentially multiple times, it makes it easier to read, so there’s another potential benefit of including the different terms.
but if someone here is adamant about only using identify first language i’m cool with that too.
yeah I like that you included “on the autism spectrum” as well. I just am not sure if I agree saying “have autism” is worth it or not, as I feel like more people might dislike it or be indifferent than people who would like it, since a lot of us are more comfortable with or have good reason to identify as “autistic”. /neu
can I ask people in the Autism Acceptance Studio/Neuro-Squiggles and see what they think?

—–
Squi (she/they)
-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

technically the slash being the other way ( / instead of \ ) is correct and also i believe the title has the words awareness and acceptance in the opposite order? so we might want to change that but we could also leave it as is.
yeah I was wondering about that. should “awareness” or “acceptance” in the actual title come first? and/or should I reverse the ones in the desc? should they be matching or not? does it matter(/lh)?

—–
Squi (she/they)
Rey_venclaw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

planning forum <3

that is also a good point. and sure, if you want to

and i think awareness and then acceptance for three reasons

1. that’s what we did last year
2. you can’t accept something without being aware of it first
3. it was called autism awareness month before it was called autism acceptance month

Last edited by Rey_venclaw (March 22, 2024 03:27:32)

-Squiggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

planning forum <3

Rey_venclaw wrote:

and i think awareness and then acceptance for three reasons

1. that’s what we did last year
2. you can’t accept something without being aware of it first
3. it was called autism awareness month before it was called autism acceptance month
good reasons
they make my brain happy, lol

—–
Squi (she/they)