Discuss Scratch

skymover1239
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

Should I start using linux? I'm not one to stick with an operating system and I'm getting sick of Windows 10 lol, so should I upgrade to Windows 11, stick with Windows 10, or just use Linux?
I would recommend trying Linux. Linux is much, much more efficient than Windows.

John 3:16 wrote:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
First time a moderator got ninjaed??
500 Posts
Current Mainline projects
AquaCSS - A CSS framework.
Ink - An editor that does, lots of things.
VedanshS933
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

skymover1239 wrote:

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

Should I start using linux? I'm not one to stick with an operating system and I'm getting sick of Windows 10 lol, so should I upgrade to Windows 11, stick with Windows 10, or just use Linux?
I would recommend trying Linux. Linux is much, much more efficient than Windows.

Kindly give a reason why

Chiroyce wrote:

VedanshS933 wrote:

I know it prompting me since 27 October 2021
Your computer your wish - upgrade if you want to. Win 10 won't EOL until 2025.

I do want to but there are so many important files and even if one goes away so I won't get my laptop again (I think). She'll first test on her office laptop.

Home OS 3.0 Coming Soon!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/880616996/

Post Count - 2000+!
1. Suggestions 1100+ (first time hitting 1000 on a subforum!)
2. Questions about Scratch 250+
3. Advanced Topics 230+
4. New Scratchers 100+
5. Show & Tell 80+
6. Bugs and Glitches 70+

redesigning the signature
skymover1239
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

VedanshS933 wrote:

skymover1239 wrote:

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

Kindly give a reason why

Chiroyce wrote:

VedanshS933 wrote:

I know it prompting me since 27 October 2021
Your computer your wish - upgrade if you want to. Win 10 won't EOL until 2025.

I do want to but there are so many important files and even if one goes away so I won't get my laptop again (I think). She'll first test on her office laptop.
If you mean why to use Linux, I did.
If you mean why Linux is more efficient, the how this.

Windows (7) RAM usage (Nothing open): around 2.8 GB
Linux (Manjaro) RAM usage (LibreWolf with 6 tabs, A terminal with VIM, and Fish, and a chat program) 2.5 GB

Here's another one.
Windows (10) RAM usage (Only the RTS Zero-K open) 8 GB
Linux (Manjaro) (Zero-K, LibreWolf with 2 tabs) 4 GB

John 3:16 wrote:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
First time a moderator got ninjaed??
500 Posts
Current Mainline projects
AquaCSS - A CSS framework.
Ink - An editor that does, lots of things.
LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

VedanshS933 wrote:

Kindly give a reason why
I mean, why not? If it has all your programs (or has alternatives you're fine with) and you don't mind learning a few new things, why not use an OS that respects your privacy, has better protection from viruses, and is faster and can run on almost any hardware?

-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

I do love the clean UI of windows 11 and how many amazing apps are written for it but I really don't like how bloated it is and all the microsoft trackers build into it My Minecraft fps is double on linux, plus the X-BOX integration is annoying.

Nothing here.
NanoRook
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

skymover1239 wrote:

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

More efficient because nothing supports Linux. There are many programs people use daily that are still Windows only.

I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!! JOIN THE PURPLE COALITION TODAY IF YOU ALSO LOVE BEING PURPLE. PURPLE IS THE NEW BLUE! PURPLE IS THE SUPERIOR NAVBAR COLOR! YYYEAAHHHHH BABY!!!!

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

NanoRook wrote:

(#2247)

skymover1239 wrote:

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

More efficient because nothing supports Linux. There are many programs people use daily that are still Windows only.
Are you blaming Linux…
Or the lazy developers?

It's all tied up in a loop…
Developers don't make software for Linux because it's not popular
People don't use Linux because of software support.

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Feb. 18, 2022 19:32:50)

LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

NanoRook wrote:

skymover1239 wrote:

HeHeTeeHeeHee wrote:

That depends what you use.
If you use your Windows computer for web browsing, writing up Word documents, writing emails, and playing Minecraft, you can do all of those on a Linux distro, one way or another. Of course, there is also alternatives to a lot of software, such as using LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office and Thunderbird instead of Windows Mail/Outlook.

And like @MagicCrayon9342 said above, it's not the fault of Linux developers- It's the developers of those programs who don't care to give their programs Linux support.

fyi, we may want to move this discussion to the Linux topic

Last edited by LegoManiac04 (Feb. 18, 2022 19:55:32)

TurtleLegos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

I am so cool.
I am a boomer who just upgraded. *dabs*

POGG

BE DRY, MOIST IS TOO MOIST

hey im back! march 3 2024
-ElectronicArts-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

VedanshS933 wrote:

Kindly give a reason why
“windows 11 is only for beefy computers”

god286
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

VedanshS933 wrote:

As a windows 11 user (school laptop):
It doesn't matter if you upgrade or not.
Those UI changes won't give you scaffold in minecraft, nor will it double your typing speed. It's not that much worth it.. only if you backup files and get ready for some bugs that can occur (hasnt happened to me yet) and likes Microsoft lowering your ability to set default apps!

Last edited by god286 (Feb. 19, 2022 02:21:34)

Here are some of my followers!

I joined: 5 years, 9 months, 24 days ago (31/03/2018)
I have: 479 followers
In total, I have attained: 1,403 loves, 1,145 favourites, and 33,731 views.
Fun Fact: If my account continued to gain followers at a similar rate to right now, in 14,210 years I would reach the number of followers griffpatch has today! Try to imagine how many followers he would have then!
Thank you everyone!
Script created by god286.
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

god286 wrote:

Microsoft lowering your ability to set default apps!
If only the DOJ still cared.
Otherwise, things like that and every iOS browser being Safari wouldn't be allowed.
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

“No matter how hard a company tries to prevent you from doing something…
There's always a way” - Many people

From piracy, to installing Windows 11. Companies can try their best, but they can't always win.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

Either Firefox is good at setting itself as the default browser, or when I upgraded from Windows 10 the default apps transferred.

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

Either Firefox is good at setting itself as the default browser, or when I upgraded from Windows 10 the default apps transferred.
Firefox can set itself to the default browser easily, but it doesn't without your permission

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

I can open 1,5 KB files now in notepad without it crashing!
I'm aware that that's not much, but tell that legacy notepad

Last edited by mybearworld (Feb. 19, 2022 13:34:41)

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

mybearworld wrote:

(#2257)
For me, legacy notepad only crashed after 7.5 billion characters

kccuber
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

mybearworld wrote:

honestly i just used vscode to open those big files without issues

Made using Nord Theme & Inkscape
NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

I like the new weather thingy on the left of the taskbar.

Edit: ooh, and notepad redesign.

Last edited by NFlex23 (Feb. 20, 2022 20:05:54)

Help improve the Advanced Topics (Really!)
Before you create a topic:
Always search for duplicates or other similar topics before making an umbrella topic, e.g., “The Mac Topic”.
  • Is it about something you are planning on making but haven't made yet? If so, please wait to post until you have created a working prototype. This is a key factor to keeping the ATs as clean as possible.
  • The ATs aren't technical support. It is perfectly valid to ask questions about things related to programming, but not issues with external websites, apps, or devices. Most sites have their own support system; try asking there!
  • Is it related to something you are making in Scratch? (This includes OSes and other Scratch projects) If so, please post in Collaboration, Show and Tell, or another similar forum.
  • Is your topic questionably “advanced”? Try browsing the other forums to see if your topic fits better in one of those.
  • Issues with Scratch itself should be put in Bugs and Glitches.
Before you post: Is what you're posting likely to start an argument or derail the thread (e.g., browsers, operating systems)? If so, please re-think your post!

IDontNoWatIAm
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Windows 11 Topic

NFlex23 wrote:

I like the new weather thingy on the left of the taskbar.

Does the weather part get pushed to the right like windows 10 if you set the taskbar to the left

Legend has it that to this day, there is still no effort to patch the GoGuardian freeze bug
wacky man with 500+ forum posts
blah blah blah this is my siggy under the gray line blah blah blah kumquat ate the rest blah blah blah

set pen color to [test]