Discuss Scratch

leapinleopardstar
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg wrote:

Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later

2. Scratch on mobile devices
Isn't ScratchJR available on mobile devices?

A
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

leapinleopardstar wrote:

jvvg wrote:

ScratchJr isn't Scratch.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

leapinleopardstar wrote:

jvvg wrote:

ScratchJr isn't Scratch.
It is but isn't.

In the sense that this Scratch is a step above ScratchJR

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

to4oo4 wrote:

Etellex wrote:

1. Cloud data
1a. Cloud lists and strings - they will be implemented later, please be patient
1b. Allowing chatrooms - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them

Potential for bullying? Well why not take down the forums then?

2. Private messaging
When communication is public, people are more likely to be respectful because they know that everyone can see it. However, when posting PMs, people know that only the intended recipient can see it, so don't think as much before posting. Even if a “Flag PM” function is implemented, the Scratch Team currently does not have the resources to moderate it, because of the reason I said before there would be a lot of inappropriate/disrespectful messages.

Here's something: “block user”

3. Disabling “See inside” (formerly locking downloads)
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is “Imagine - Program - Share”. By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Alright, you have a good point, but there's barely any noticeable effort to give credit to an original author. All that there is to see is small text next to the title of the project that no one ever clicks, making remixes a lot easier to make than original projects and not giving original creators sufficient credit.

4. Rating projects
While this would be a nice idea to see how good your project is, it has a major drawback. Often, when a user posts their first project, it is something fairly simple (for example, mine was a modified pong game). If a user posts a simple project to start, and then gets a lot of low ratings because it isn't a very advanced project, then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad.

“then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad.”
You don't even put “might” in there. And most likely, their code will be bad, but that's not the point. The point is taking criticism is crucial if someone ever wants to be a programmer. If someone write on my project that they though it was boring and that I didn't put enough effort into it, I would make sure that my next project is the most exciting project ever with the most effort I can put in. Now, say someone made that comment, and I was offended by it and decided to quit Scratch.
What I'm trying to say here is not to go strait into the rating, but to gradually give more of an option to make constructive criticism. Maybe a “Love It, Like It, Needs Improvment.”

5. Accessing the old (Scratch 1.4) forums
There will be a read-only archive of them available at a later date.

Alright. I'm fine with that.

6. Removing 60/180 rule, New Scratcher status, etc.
While all of these things may seem annoying, they are extremely effective shields against spam.

Again, fine with it. I absolutely cannot stand spam.

7. Removing image host restriction or allowing users to add their sites
7a. Removing the host restriction - The image host restriction is in place to prevent inappropriate images from being posted. The allowed hosts were selected because they do not allow the kind of images that would be used to troll the forums.
7b. Allowing users to add their own image hosts - Lightnin explains it quite well

Umm, this isn't really enforced. Someone can easily highlight the link, and go to the page, or just copy and paste it on to their search. And as much as I love using imgur, I really do suggest this is more enforced.

8. Downloading Scratch 2.0
It's coming this summer.

9. SDS, Curators, etc.
They are coming in the near future.

Both of these are fine.
This person speaks the truth.
Some chatrooms are allowed. Such as ones where theres a list of words to choose from. I tried to find the project, but I think they unshared it.
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MathlyCat wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

leapinleopardstar wrote:

jvvg wrote:

ScratchJr isn't Scratch.
It is but isn't.

In the sense that this Scratch is a step above ScratchJR
If by “a step” you mean about 90% of the stuff in Scratch, yes it is.

It's definitely not what people mean when they suggest Scratch for mobile.

Last edited by stickfiregames (May 16, 2017 15:19:22)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

;
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

MClovers wrote:

Please do NOT post suggestions here. If you want to post a suggestion make a new thread.

I agree.

Plus, if you make a new thread, you will get MORE attention than posting suggestions here.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
brendanthescratcher
Scratcher
49 posts

on the top, sugested 10 could also let someone bully then get away with it
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO POST SUGGESTIONS. IF YOU WANT TO SUGGEST SOMETHING, MAKE A NEW TOPIC.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

JordanW023
Scratcher
7 posts

Your profile Pic looks cool though.

Last edited by JordanW023 (May 17, 2017 14:56:10)

buddergolem321
Scratcher
78 posts

o and also clicking on the messages button would just bring up a little tab, instead of taking you out of whatever you're doing, and also being able to see them when you're in the project editor

Last edited by buddergolem321 (May 17, 2017 15:29:54)

If You Think Something You Made Is Stupid… Then You're Probably Right, BUT That's Not Always A Bad Thing.
buddergolem321
Scratcher
78 posts

paws48 wrote:

buddergolem321 wrote:

1. instead of NOT letting people add your stuff to studios, maybe it would send a message asking you if they could add it?

2. pinning comments: say you want to say something important in the comments, (cuz not everyone looks at the description) and it just gets lost in the sea of comments, that'd be nice to be able to pin them (maybe even give likes on comments, too?)

3. profile banners, and profile picture maker, like you could go into an editor and draw your profile picture to fit the space perfectly

4. emoji's: so you don't have to do the _*thinghere*_ thing

5. a less pixelated version of bitmap, because I like the eraser, but not the pixels, and I like the aesthetics of vector, but the reshape tool is hard to use sometimes
1. I have had problems with that too. Maybe there could be a setting for the owner of the studio to turn on manager/curator projects. You can put a check mark next to everyone who can add projects.
2. This would be especially helpful for Scratchers such as @moss-shadow and @griffpatch. And for front paged Scratchers.
3. A Youtube one would probably fit the same. But if you really wanted to do that you could go into a project and upload a file of a simple profile picture for Scratch. And COLOR!
4. There would need to be a rule where you can't post a comment with just an Emoji, and one where theres a limited amount of Emojis you can do per comment to prevent spam.
5. I actually quite like the reshaping tool! But I think that some people like the pixelated look. So maybe they could add aspects of vector to bitmap. Such as the select tool and smooth tool.
I like the reshape tool, too, but it can be a little glitch sometimes, and I would like an easier way to make good looking graphics

If You Think Something You Made Is Stupid… Then You're Probably Right, BUT That's Not Always A Bad Thing.
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is your weekly reminder to

MClovers wrote:

Please do NOT post suggestions here. If you want to post a suggestion make a new thread.

jvvg, maybe it would be worth putting this in the OP? I expect most people don't read all the way through the replies, which is why they don't see this message when it comes up.

;
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO POST SUGGESTIONS. IF YOU WANT TO SUGGEST SOMETHING, MAKE A NEW TOPIC.

paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

PEOPLE CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. THEY WANT THEIR SUGGESTIONS TO BE KNOWN.
awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

paws48 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

*sigh*

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

But it's in the wrong place. If you have a good suggestion people would support it. You shouldn't have to advertise it on forums that are not built for it.

Last edited by awsome_guy_360 (May 17, 2017 20:12:25)

I'm running a small experiment, mind taking this?
(╭☞¬ω¬)╭☞ Hello, I'm mostly dead
Oop, and apparently so is that link-
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

paws48 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

*sigh*

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

But it's in the wrong place. If you have a good suggestion people would support it. You shouldn't have to advertise it on forums that are not built for it.

Really, yeah.

ScriptedAwesome
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jadiker wrote:

I must say this though: having people have access to the inside of your scripts kinda wrecks any chance for passcodes to certain levels or anything where only people who have played the game should know. I think creating something to lock that would be nice, although I do see your point.
Yes, my game Glitched entirely depends on the user not knowing the code.
I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12. A 13+ version of the website
Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody.

If you want a 13+ version of Scratch, go on Youtube

under penalty of law this signature is not to be removed except by the consumer
JordanW023
Scratcher
7 posts

I found out that if you make a costume too large it will flat out make it stretch (Pun Intended) and remove some areas of the costume. can you fix that?
themlblock
Scratcher
56 posts

scratch has an app now

define throw [person] in [place]
put (person) in (place)
throw [] in [jail]