Discuss Scratch

fwinter1
Scratcher
13 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

How about a wait until received block.
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

fwinter1 wrote:

How about a wait until received block.

Charles12310 wrote:

————————–THIS IS A LINE (YOU DON'T SAY?)————————–
Users cannot suggest features beneath this line. There is a reason why this forum exists, where you can suggest anything. This topic is just one of the topics. The user didn't say you can suggest stuff here. If this doesn't go successful, then this topic may be report to be close

Plus that really doesn't need to exist. You can literally receive it whenever you want.

when green flag clicked
wait (However many you want) secs
broadcast [Whatever you want v]

when I receive [Whatever you want v]
Do Whatever You Want
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

KelaygamesX wrote:

They at least need a backpack lock so people can't just swipe parts so they need to put in the effort of recoding what they want, that is the only way to learn how things work.

That is a good idea. And I would LOVE to see that! But I sadly don't think it will happen do to the term that ST makes very apparent: “Share”. Though, Scratch or someone using Scratch could get in very legal trouble if art is stolen without credit.

Lets say I worked really hard on art. I poured my heart and soul into that piece. But I license it under a copyright license that does not allow other people to use it whatsoever even without credit. I decide to share this art to my followers on Scratch. But then, someone recolors it and breaks the copyright. Well, because I licensed it and put it onto another website such as DA before I put it on Scratch, they would technically be breaking my copyright. But according to Scratch, we have to allow this. My copyright would automatically change?

Either that needs to happen or Scratch needs to change their terms. Though, there would have to be some sort of system so that when a user backpacks an unlocked script from your project, then they cannot lock that script. Otherwise we would end up with locked versions of scripts from one of @griffpatch's projects! And of course, users would abuse this feature, so there would have to be a limit of things you can lock per project.

Other than that I LOVE this idea!!!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

paws48 wrote:

Lets say I worked really hard on art. I poured my heart and soul into that piece. But I license it under a copyright license that does not allow other people to use it whatsoever even without credit. I decide to share this art to my followers on Scratch. But then, someone recolors it and breaks the copyright. Well, because I licensed it and put it onto another website such as DA before I put it on Scratch, they would technically be breaking my copyright. But according to Scratch, we have to allow this. My copyright would automatically change?
See, the ST has put a different license on your project once you shared it, likely overwriting your copyright in your given scenario. From the Terms of Use:

The Terms of Use wrote:

4.3 All user-generated content you submit to Scratch is licensed to and through Scratch under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license. This allows others to view and remix your content. […] If you do not want to license your content under this license, then do not share it on Scratch.

Last edited by Sheep_maker (Dec. 20, 2017 00:14:42)


- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
cuddley
Scratcher
100+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jadiker wrote:

I must say this though: having people have access to the inside of your scripts kinda wrecks any chance for passcodes to certain levels or anything where only people who have played the game should know. I think creating something to lock that would be nice, although I do see your point.
if <(username) = [creator]> then
ask [Enter passcode] and wait
if <(answer) = [levelwarp]> then
ask [Choose level] and wait
set [Level v] to (answer)
broadcast [loadlevel v]
end
end

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

I don't know what to write.
Freakskills
Scratcher
12 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg wrote:

Before making a suggestion, be sure to check this topic for stuff that's already been suggested. The reasons listed here are all by the Scratch Team. If any responses are at all inconsistent with what they have said, please tell me and I will correct it.

This is just a list of the most common suggestions. For a more comprehensive list, see the complete list of rejected suggestions.

Suggestions that have been rejected
1. Allowing free chats with cloud variables
Allowing “free” chatrooms (i.e. where users can type in whatever they want) - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them. If you want to make a chat program, you may make a “safe” chat, where users can only select from a few messages.

2. Private messaging
When communication is public, people are more likely to be respectful because they know that everyone can see it. However, when posting PMs, people know that only the intended recipient can see it, so don't think as much before posting. Even if a “Flag PM” function is implemented, the Scratch Team currently does not have the resources to moderate it, because of the reason I said before there would be a lot of inappropriate/disrespectful messages.

3. Disabling “See inside”, restricting sharing, etc.
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is "Imagine - Program - Share". By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Restricting sharing (i.e. sharing a project so only some people can see it) is also not going to be implemented.

Paddle2See wrote:

We depend very heavily on our community to help us keep an eye on things and make sure that the Community Guidelines are being followed. Reducing the number of people that can see a project increases the likelihood that inappropriate content could be shared without being reported. That's a risk that we are not willing to take. Keeping everything out in the open is the best way we have found to help keep Scratch friendly and safe.
(source)

4. Rating projects or dislike button
While this would be a nice idea to see how good your project is, it has a major drawback. Often, when a user posts their first project, it is something fairly simple (for example, mine was a modified pong game). If a user posts a simple project to start, and then gets a lot of low ratings because it isn't a very advanced project, then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad. The dislike button would have a similar effect of discouraging new users and would create an excessively negative environment.

5. Removing 60/120 second rule, New Scratcher status, etc.
While all of these things may seem annoying, they are extremely effective shields against spam.

6. Delete your comments on other peoples' projects
This is so that people can't post troll comments and then delete them, while you aren't likely to troll people on your own projects, studios, or profile. On the forums the solution to this is that you can only delete posts 24 hours after they have been posted, and deletes are not permanent (although I don't think they're permanent for comments either).

7. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand. There is a sister program to Scratch that contains 3D features, called Starlogo TNG. However, a different group has started developing a 3D version of Scratch that you can see at www.scratch3d.org. You can also try Alice, which is different from Scratch but has a bunch of stuff in common.

8. <broadcast [ ] received> boolean
There is way too much ambiguity to how this would work. Would it return true of the broadcast was fired at any point since the project was created, since the green flag was clicked, since something else was broadcasted, etc.? If you really want to do something like this, instead just make a variable and set it to 1 and use the equals block.

9. Game badges/achievements
(Thanks Faillord!)
This would harm Scratch's purpose, and people would determine their social worth on the site based on achievements in games, and some users would act as if they are more important than others merely because they have more game badges.

10. Changing your username
It would be very difficult to keep track of people if the could change usernames, and users would likely be confused when someone they follow changes their username. Additionally, that would add another layer of difficulty to the moderation of the website, making it harder for the Scratch Team to follow what a user is doing.

11. Off-topic/misc. section on forums
One used to exist (available here), but it was shut down due to a large amount of “flame wars” and difficulty moderating.

12. A 13+ version of the website
Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody.

13. Digital currency
Digital currency might be cool for some Scratchers but can cause problems such as competition and not focusing on Scratch's purpose. Scratch itself is not a game.

14. Banning minor remixes
Remixes are allowed as long as at least something is changed, even if it's minor.

15. Adding a Rank Above Scratcher

DaSpudLord wrote:

Scratch is not a place for people to worry about ranks. The New Scratcher rank only exists to filter spam, and since it only takes 2 weeks to get a promotion, bullying and separation is minimal. Additionally, this would divide the community between those who have a high rank and those who have a low rank, and there would be lots of bragging and bullying coming from users of higher ranks.

16. Live editing

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.

17. Removing restrictions on FNAF-based projects
These restrictions were put because many of these projects were considered too scary for younger users. Scratch was blocked on many networks because of this, such as school districts. Some parents have also reported that their children had nightmares, and some users were wary of browsing Scratch. Removing these restrictions could damage Scratch's reputation. The game itself wasn't banned from Scratch entirely, so you may still make things about the game as long as they don't break the guidelines. (Based on LionHeart70's post, with some rewording/shortening.)


Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later
Let me know when they are implemented!
1. Cloud lists and strings
I'm not quite sure what's going on with these. They were disabled originally due to a combination of server issues and questions over moderation (specifically chatrooms and similar communication tools that would be hard to moderate). I guess they're still working out those issues, but unfortunately there's no ETA on when (if ever) they will be back.

2. Scratch on mobile devices

Paddle2See wrote:

As for whether it is rejected or not - it may have been at one time. But times change and I know that our developers are currently working on tablet versions of Scratch. So I'll close this as an accepted suggestion.

3. Custom reporters
It looks like these are coming in Scratch 3.0.

Please tell me if there is incorrect/outdated information, or if there is something that should be added here!
Edit post

What about adding a flame war section with an advisory at the top
DaEpikDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Freakskills wrote:

-snip-
Hey, if you're responding to something in the original post, please don't quote the entire OP, especially if it's long. It generally makes the page more cluttered up and is normally unhelpful, unless quoting specific parts to respond to.

paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Freakskills wrote:

jvvg wrote:

Before making a suggestion, be sure to check this topic for stuff that's already been suggested. The reasons listed here are all by the Scratch Team. If any responses are at all inconsistent with what they have said, please tell me and I will correct it.

This is just a list of the most common suggestions. For a more comprehensive list, see the complete list of rejected suggestions.

Suggestions that have been rejected
1. Allowing free chats with cloud variables
Allowing “free” chatrooms (i.e. where users can type in whatever they want) - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them. If you want to make a chat program, you may make a “safe” chat, where users can only select from a few messages.

2. Private messaging
When communication is public, people are more likely to be respectful because they know that everyone can see it. However, when posting PMs, people know that only the intended recipient can see it, so don't think as much before posting. Even if a “Flag PM” function is implemented, the Scratch Team currently does not have the resources to moderate it, because of the reason I said before there would be a lot of inappropriate/disrespectful messages.

3. Disabling “See inside”, restricting sharing, etc.
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is "Imagine - Program - Share". By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Restricting sharing (i.e. sharing a project so only some people can see it) is also not going to be implemented.

Paddle2See wrote:

We depend very heavily on our community to help us keep an eye on things and make sure that the Community Guidelines are being followed. Reducing the number of people that can see a project increases the likelihood that inappropriate content could be shared without being reported. That's a risk that we are not willing to take. Keeping everything out in the open is the best way we have found to help keep Scratch friendly and safe.
(source)

4. Rating projects or dislike button
While this would be a nice idea to see how good your project is, it has a major drawback. Often, when a user posts their first project, it is something fairly simple (for example, mine was a modified pong game). If a user posts a simple project to start, and then gets a lot of low ratings because it isn't a very advanced project, then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad. The dislike button would have a similar effect of discouraging new users and would create an excessively negative environment.

5. Removing 60/120 second rule, New Scratcher status, etc.
While all of these things may seem annoying, they are extremely effective shields against spam.

6. Delete your comments on other peoples' projects
This is so that people can't post troll comments and then delete them, while you aren't likely to troll people on your own projects, studios, or profile. On the forums the solution to this is that you can only delete posts 24 hours after they have been posted, and deletes are not permanent (although I don't think they're permanent for comments either).

7. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand. There is a sister program to Scratch that contains 3D features, called Starlogo TNG. However, a different group has started developing a 3D version of Scratch that you can see at www.scratch3d.org. You can also try Alice, which is different from Scratch but has a bunch of stuff in common.

8. <broadcast [ ] received> boolean
There is way too much ambiguity to how this would work. Would it return true of the broadcast was fired at any point since the project was created, since the green flag was clicked, since something else was broadcasted, etc.? If you really want to do something like this, instead just make a variable and set it to 1 and use the equals block.

9. Game badges/achievements
(Thanks Faillord!)
This would harm Scratch's purpose, and people would determine their social worth on the site based on achievements in games, and some users would act as if they are more important than others merely because they have more game badges.

10. Changing your username
It would be very difficult to keep track of people if the could change usernames, and users would likely be confused when someone they follow changes their username. Additionally, that would add another layer of difficulty to the moderation of the website, making it harder for the Scratch Team to follow what a user is doing.

11. Off-topic/misc. section on forums
One used to exist (available here), but it was shut down due to a large amount of “flame wars” and difficulty moderating.

12. A 13+ version of the website
Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody.

13. Digital currency
Digital currency might be cool for some Scratchers but can cause problems such as competition and not focusing on Scratch's purpose. Scratch itself is not a game.

14. Banning minor remixes
Remixes are allowed as long as at least something is changed, even if it's minor.

15. Adding a Rank Above Scratcher

DaSpudLord wrote:

Scratch is not a place for people to worry about ranks. The New Scratcher rank only exists to filter spam, and since it only takes 2 weeks to get a promotion, bullying and separation is minimal. Additionally, this would divide the community between those who have a high rank and those who have a low rank, and there would be lots of bragging and bullying coming from users of higher ranks.

16. Live editing

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.

17. Removing restrictions on FNAF-based projects
These restrictions were put because many of these projects were considered too scary for younger users. Scratch was blocked on many networks because of this, such as school districts. Some parents have also reported that their children had nightmares, and some users were wary of browsing Scratch. Removing these restrictions could damage Scratch's reputation. The game itself wasn't banned from Scratch entirely, so you may still make things about the game as long as they don't break the guidelines. (Based on LionHeart70's post, with some rewording/shortening.)


Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later
Let me know when they are implemented!
1. Cloud lists and strings
I'm not quite sure what's going on with these. They were disabled originally due to a combination of server issues and questions over moderation (specifically chatrooms and similar communication tools that would be hard to moderate). I guess they're still working out those issues, but unfortunately there's no ETA on when (if ever) they will be back.

2. Scratch on mobile devices

Paddle2See wrote:

As for whether it is rejected or not - it may have been at one time. But times change and I know that our developers are currently working on tablet versions of Scratch. So I'll close this as an accepted suggestion.

3. Custom reporters
It looks like these are coming in Scratch 3.0.

Please tell me if there is incorrect/outdated information, or if there is something that should be added here!
Edit post

What about adding a flame war section with an advisory at the top
STOP QUOTING THE WHOLE TOPIC
-penandpaper-
Scratcher
100+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

paws48 wrote:

Freakskills wrote:

jvvg wrote:

snip

What about adding a flame war section with an advisory at the top
STOP QUOTING THE WHOLE TOPIC
um, didn't you just do that?

there's no place like index

why do Java programmers wear glasses? because they can't c#
Freakskills
Scratcher
12 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jadiker wrote:

I must say this though: having people have access to the inside of your scripts kinda wrecks any chance for passcodes to certain levels or anything where only people who have played the game should know. I think creating something to lock that would be nice, although I do see your point.

Agree With You And Think There Should Be Something Like At Least A “Hide Code” Option
frances2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

I agree. I am thinking about maybe making a whitelist chat, and I won't make it a free chat.

★★★★★★★Welcome to Frances2005★★★★★★★★
No F4FSeason 2Proud owner of 100+ Beanie Boos700+ followers450+ Forum PostsOfficial Turtie HelperGame DeveloperSince 4/16/17
Want to get involved in the Frances2005 Community? Its only a follow button away. Stay up to date with Frances2005 Central, where you can get all the news and fun! And if you like nature, keeping the world a better place, and more, this is where the party's at!
credit to @SuperNautilus for stars,@SolarWind12 for colored text guide, and coolsymbol for symbols
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Wait wait wait! Unstickied????

Be moist
Wahsp | Forum Helper | 6500+ posts | Past FPC | Five years of Scratch | 17 years of Earth |

Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Wahsp wrote:

Wait wait wait! Unstickied????
Replaced with the topic called, “Complete List of Rejected Suggestions”.


Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Charles12310 wrote:

Wahsp wrote:

Wait wait wait! Unstickied????
Replaced with the topic called, “Complete List of Rejected Suggestions”.
Ah

Be moist
Wahsp | Forum Helper | 6500+ posts | Past FPC | Five years of Scratch | 17 years of Earth |

EIephant_Lover
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg wrote:

3. Custom reporters
It looks like these are coming in Scratch 3.0.
So, what are custom reporters exactly?

-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

EIephant_Lover wrote:

jvvg wrote:

3. Custom reporters
It looks like these are coming in Scratch 3.0.
So, what are custom reporters exactly?
They are upcoming custom blocks that can return values. For example:

define custom reporter :: reporter
...
return [] :: cap custom // would return value
// they could be used like:
((custom reporter :: reporter) + (1))

They are coming in Scratch 3.0.
BFDISuperFan
Scratcher
100+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

14. Banning minor remixes
Remixes are allowed as long as at least something is changed, even if it's minor.

This is the only one I have a bit of an issue with. In what definition is the term “minor” in this statement? Does it mean changing things like costumes or sound effects? Or does it mean you actually have to do something with the code? The main problem with this is that you can just move a block in the code, and you can already call it a remix. Now obviously that won't change anything, so a remix like that won't cut it. However, if you only need to change the visuals or a sound effect, that means you can technically just change the color of 1 pixel in a costume/sprite, or change the sound effects, and still call it a remix, because like you said, remixes are allowed as long as at least *something* is changed, even if it's *minor*. This means that someone can basically repost a project, as a so-called “remix”, that doesn't really change anything that is substantially noticeable by the viewer, but because there is a slight change, it can't be reported. I think that the rule of remixing should be revised in more detail, so that people can't potentially *repost* a project, instead of actually remixing it. Also, someone can just download a project, and then create a new one, then load the downloaded project, and it will just be it's own project, not even a remix. This would be a literal repost. Some users had their projects stolen like this, and the stealer got full credit for it. This is why I feel like this suggestion should somewhat be taken into consideration, so that the users won't be able to abuse the ability to download a project and repost it.

Oh hi signature reader! Thanks for reading this post. I’m BFDISuperFan, and I really love rhythm games. Oh, and while you’re here reading this, if you also like rhythm games, how about you go try out my attempt at porting DDRMAX2 on Scratch?
I'm also attempting to recreate beatmania IIDX 15: DJ TROOPERS on Scratch, but right now it's just a glorified animation gallery, check it out if you're interested!
What? An evil kumquat? Eating signatures!? Haha, you come up with some funny things-
Hey, where did my closing signature go?
EIephant_Lover
Scratcher
500+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg wrote:

8. <broadcast [ ] received> boolean
There is way too much ambiguity to how this would work. Would it return true of the broadcast was fired at any point since the project was created, since the green flag was clicked, since something else was broadcasted, etc.? If you really want to do something like this, instead just make a variable and set it to 1 and use the equals block.
Wow, this makes me sad, but I guess I understand… I never really thought about how technical and difficult that would be. I always thought that when I was making a project, and it made me upset. I even thought about suggesting it. Oh well, I guess.

Last edited by EIephant_Lover (Jan. 26, 2018 21:49:52)


pokedude12-29
Scratcher
34 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Maybe a different chat list? like reject the word if it is not in the whitelist



Come check out my PROFILEEEEEE!!!!!! :D



















science RULES















































SCIENCE RULES
wWSunPandaWw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

pokedude12-29 wrote:

Maybe a different chat list? like reject the word if it is not in the whitelist
Please make a different topic for your suggestions, suggesting something here will be ignored.

I moved to BelieverGirlSun

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile