Discuss Scratch

Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

No support, scratch is not an art website, it's a coding website so I dont see why we need all these glamorous features for art.

lemon-guitar
Scratcher
10 posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

While I do semi agree with you @Yeetoburro1, I do think that now that scratch is opening up more to the artistic side of it that it would be nice. Onion skinning is also for animation, which requires coding. This could make the animations out there that are beautiful and amazing, even better.

Hello! You can call me Snail! My pronouns are She/They and please respect that. I am an artist, singer, songwriter, musician, author, and nerd. I enjoy surfing, skateboarding, kayaking, camping, hiking, and biking. I recently published my webcomic, Ember Grove, on Tapas.io so if you would like to, please check it out. I mainly create projects that include art, original songs, song covers, and random fun I like to do as well. Thank you for reading this and have a lovely day!!
SolarKnight
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

No support, scratch is not an art website, it's a coding website so I dont see why we need all these glamorous features for art.
people mostly use coding on scratch to make games, and if you dont want a game to look bland its good to have animated assets, like a character to play as that has animations for walking in stuff. like do you think the mario games would have taken off as much if you played as a square with no animations? probably not. it would be extremely useful to have for animating and it probably wouldnt be too hard to implement

Last edited by SolarKnight (Sept. 22, 2020 00:32:39)

(they/them)
Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

SolarKnight wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

people mostly use coding on scratch to make games, and if you dont want a game to look bland its good to have animated assets, like a character to play as that has animations for walking in stuff. like do you think the mario games would have taken off as much if you played as a square with no animations? probably not. it would be extremely useful to have for animating and it probably wouldnt be too hard to implement
Yes, and the tools provided can work. They are good enough to use without problems, and that's all that is needed. Scratch is not meant to create art in, the tools provided are meant to compliment the coding aspect, not throw it out the window.

this is a link
SolarKnight
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Ihatr wrote:

SolarKnight wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Yes, and the tools provided can work. They are good enough to use without problems, and that's all that is needed. Scratch is not meant to create art in, the tools provided are meant to compliment the coding aspect, not throw it out the window.
how would adding onion skins throw coding out the window? its one additional art related feature. and while the tools provided do work, its just an additional challenge that could easily be fixed. scratch is meant to be easy and accessible and i fail to see how making animation more accessible is a bad thing or how it could take away from coding at all

(they/them)
JPOWERPUFFGIRLS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

If we shouldn't do Art why did the ST feature an ART dump. Also, in order to design all those stuff in games, you'll need to design them. Also this is for animations

Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

If we shouldn't do Art why did the ST feature an ART dump. Also, in order to design all those stuff in games, you'll need to design them. Also this is for animations
I never said that people should not do art, I'm just saying it has barely any focus. And you have the tools necessary rn to design all the stuff in games.

bywok
Scratcher
100+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

I never said that people should not do art, I'm just saying it has barely any focus. And you have the tools necessary rn to design all the stuff in games.

Okay, but what do games involve? ART. What were the “next costume” and “switch costume to” blocks made for? ART. What was the art editor made for? ART.

MOST of Scratch's main focus IS art. If we couldn't draw anything Scratch would just be entirely pointless. And lately there has been an increase in animations and art dumps.

Yes, you have the tools to make games, but one of those tools is the art editor.
lemon-guitar
Scratcher
10 posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

See that's the thing. Scratch has recently featured art dumps and art animations on here. It actually has a LOT of focus. The games that require coding wouldn't be a thing without ART. Even simple shapes such as a random cube for a platformer or a ball for a game is ART. Creating the backgrounds is ART. While yes, coding is something that Scratch focuses on, ART is also at the same level if not a bit higher.

Hello! You can call me Snail! My pronouns are She/They and please respect that. I am an artist, singer, songwriter, musician, author, and nerd. I enjoy surfing, skateboarding, kayaking, camping, hiking, and biking. I recently published my webcomic, Ember Grove, on Tapas.io so if you would like to, please check it out. I mainly create projects that include art, original songs, song covers, and random fun I like to do as well. Thank you for reading this and have a lovely day!!
JPOWERPUFFGIRLS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Well since we have all the designs tools for games, the next design advances would need to be for art, another section of the community. Just because the majority if you can call games the majority is satisfied, doesn't mean you should stop making featured to please everyone else

akitathecat
Scratcher
10 posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

why hasn't scratch done this yet XD, i die trying to animate in scratch paint (ಥ _ ಥ)
Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Well since we have all the designs tools for games
which actually use coding, not like “i used coding: a little transition thing”

Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

bywok wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

What were the “next costume” and “switch costume to” blocks made for? ART.
Strongly disagree. Ever hear of “switching levels”?

Also can people stop doing art in all caps its very annoying

bywok wrote:

Yes, you have the tools to make games, but one of those tools is the art editor.
which works perfectly fine right now. It would be super annoying to create levels for a platformer with onion skins.

lemon-guitar wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

See that's the thing. Scratch has recently featured art dumps and art animations on here. It actually has a LOT of focus. The games that require coding wouldn't be a thing without ART. Even simple shapes such as a random cube for a platformer or a ball for a game is ART. Creating the backgrounds is ART. While yes, coding is something that Scratch focuses on, ART is also at the same level if not a bit higher.
The people who feature stuff are biased towards art, imo. If art is a higher focus, why isn't the scratch slogan “imagine, draw, share” and why don't art teachers use scratch to teach art?
Again, please stop typing “art” in all caps.

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

What “glamorous” features do you speak of?
Just because scratch is a coding site, doesn't mean art can't be on it too. If all or even some of the art was removed than the website would be less fun and it'd have less projects. I use code in my art projects anyhow.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

mtech22 wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Just because scratch is a coding site, doesn't mean art can't be on it too. If all or even some of the art was removed than the website would be less fun and it'd have less projects. I use code in my art projects anyhow.
Onion skins are rather glamorous.
And do you have to code a cloud multiplayer engine for an art project? No. You can't compare the code in art to games, as there is so much more in games.

Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

mtech22 wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

However, Scratch's purpose doesn't need to be thrown out the window to become firealpacaV2. Remember, every art feature was made to make the coding experience better, not become Scratch's purpose.

this is a link
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

Ihatr wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

However, Scratch's purpose doesn't need to be thrown out the window to become firealpacaV2. Remember, every art feature was made to make the coding experience better, not become Scratch's purpose.
Yes, and this would help with scripted maps, animation memes, animations with code and more.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
bywok
Scratcher
100+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

yeetoburro1 wrote:

bywok wrote:

What were the “next costume” and “switch costume to” blocks made for? ART.
Strongly disagree. Ever hear of “switching levels”?

What?

yeetoburro1 wrote:

bywok wrote:

which works perfectly fine right now. It would be super annoying to create levels for a platformer with onion skins.

There's literally a side for this whole entire forum topic that explains we should be able to turn the onion skin on or off. Have you been reading the forum or are you just looking for people who disagree with you?

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

The people who feature stuff are biased towards art, imo. If art is a higher focus, why isn't the scratch slogan “imagine, draw, share” and why don't art teachers use scratch to teach art?

Are they biased towards art though? Around 50% of the featured projects, if you take 5 seconds to look through them, are art dumps, drawings, animations, and the like. And the thing is, when you're signed out, the front page clearly says:

Create stories, games, and animations
Share with others around the world

See that? Animations? Animation is art.
bywok
Scratcher
100+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

And, yeetoburro1, I don't know what you mean by ‘all these glamorous features’. All we are doing is asking for 1 feature we think should be added. What else have we asked for?
Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Onion Skins and Scratch

bywok wrote:

And, yeetoburro1, I don't know what you mean by ‘all these glamorous features’. All we are doing is asking for 1 feature we think should be added. What else have we asked for?
I'll go get a list of all the art features that people have suggested in the first 5 pages.