Discuss Scratch

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

I've added a new rejected suggestion: “Allow Scratchers to moderate the forums”.

This suggestion has been suggested a few times, and we've gotten word from a Scratch Team member on it. Read the full post for more information.

8.4 Allow Scratchers to moderate the forums
A community moderator program used to exist, but it was removed due to some very inappropriate things showing up in the report activity, among other reasons. It was for these reasons that the Scratch Team has decided to only allow adults to moderate the forums. If you are 18 or older, legally allowed to work in the United States, and interested in moderating the forums, check out the Jobs link to see if there are any openings for the “Community Moderator” position.

Here is the official notice removing the volunteer moderator program: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/17590/?page=1

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Adding ads to Scratch
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/3518582/

cheddargirl wrote:

We've seen this suggestion before, but it has been rejected. To make a long explanation short: The problem with ads is that it's “for-profit” methodology, which is going to be extremely troublesome for us in legal matters being that Scratch is supposed to be non-profit.

I think I've seen this one quite a few times, but not entirely sure, but if it ever does happen to become a top requested, here is a quote on it.

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

Adding ads to Scratch
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/3518582/

cheddargirl wrote:

We've seen this suggestion before, but it has been rejected. To make a long explanation short: The problem with ads is that it's “for-profit” methodology, which is going to be extremely troublesome for us in legal matters being that Scratch is supposed to be non-profit.

I think I've seen this one quite a few times, but not entirely sure, but if it ever does happen to become a top requested, here is a quote on it.
This is a good idea. I think I may decide to add it — here is another topic (which is definitely rejected, as it was closed) suggesting the same thing: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/273039/?page=3#post-2779849

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

Will9574
Scratcher
96 posts

I kinda disagree with No.2.1 being Rejected.Maybe it could work without the messaging? Personally, I like to make scratch projects on my own. However, there are times when a project is WAY too big for me, so I think it would be useful with collaboration on projects. My friend sometimes gets stuck on something, however due to the fact that we can't collaborate, I have to go over to his house when he has problems. This causes very looooooooooooooooooooong waits. Remixing each other's projects would also be bad because of confusion over who gets credit. Thirdly, if we were to collaborate on a project at the same time, we wouldn't be able to do that with remixing each others' projects. This would cause great lag and thousands of projects sitting in our ‘My stuff’ folders.

Last edited by Will9574 (April 23, 2019 23:11:21)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Will9574 wrote:

I kinda disagree with No.2.1 being Rejected.Maybe it could work without the messaging?
The problem is that private messaging can occur even without an official messaging system. For example, two users could just type stuff into the paint editor to talk to each other. With this, personal contact information and inappropriate content could easily be shared to other users.

The Scratch Team simply does not have the resources to moderate such a system at this time.

E_Equals_EmCeCube3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary, perhaps you could use the reserved post at the top of this page for a succinct list of suggestions that have been rejected, but have not occurred frequently enough to warrant a slot in the actual list itself eg. ‘go to middle’ block, removing phone number censor and banning voice acting (reference posts here and here) so you can easily add them to the main list in the instance that any of these suggestions become more common.

Of course, there's no need to add the ‘obvious’ ones like removing CGs - everyone knows we need them to keep Scratch a fun and friendly place for all.

– signed, E_Equals_EmCeCube3. Have a good day!

Scratcher, aspiring game developer, and enjoyer of (mostly indie) video games (favorite is Stardew Valley)
projects | profile | notebook | past/side account
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

E_Equals_EmCeCube3 wrote:

Za-Chary, perhaps you could use the reserved post at the top of this page for a succinct list of suggestions that have been rejected, but have not occurred frequently enough to warrant a slot in the actual list itself eg. ‘go to middle’ block, removing phone number censor and banning voice acting (reference posts here and here) so you can easily add them to the main list in the instance that any of these suggestions become more common.

Of course, there's no need to add the ‘obvious’ ones like removing CGs - everyone knows we need them to keep Scratch a fun and friendly place for all.
That's a good idea. I may consider doing that — but we don't want to make the overall list too long. Would putting such suggestions on a different page just be another way to make the list longer than needed?

I suppose it would be good to keep those, though, just in case they end up being suggested multiple times — but I'd rather not give the impression that they belong on the rejected suggestions list (which is tough because, well, they are indeed rejected).

I've also added “Remove the Community Guidelines” anyway (see #6.5) because I think it's important to have an explanation of why they are there in the first place.

MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

Will9574 wrote:

I kinda disagree with No.2.1 being Rejected.Maybe it could work without the messaging? Personally, I like to make scratch projects on my own. However, there are times when a project is WAY too big for me, so I think it would be useful with collaboration on projects. My friend sometimes gets stuck on something, however due to the fact that we can't collaborate, I have to go over to his house when he has problems. This causes very looooooooooooooooooooong waits. Remixing each other's projects would also be bad because of confusion over who gets credit. Thirdly, if we were to collaborate on a project at the same time, we wouldn't be able to do that with remixing each others' projects. This would cause great lag and thousands of projects sitting in our ‘My stuff’ folders.
there is still no way the ST could moderate them. and even without messaging, scratchers can still talk through the block comments.

Last edited by MaximunPokeMaster (April 26, 2019 18:36:24)

H
little_red_fish
Scratcher
19 posts

Cool, this was very helpful
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I've added a new rejected suggestion: “Cloud Lists”.

This suggestion has been suggested a few times, and after I asked for it to be added to this list, we've gotten word from a Scratch Team member on it. Read the full post for more information.

1.5 Cloud Lists
Cloud variables currently have several restrictions. There can be at most 10 cloud variables per project due to server costs. New Scratchers cannot use cloud variables, for it is easy to misuse them. Cloud variables can only support 256 numeric digits or less so it is harder to create chat projects; for more information, see #3.1 on this list. Cloud lists would require similar restrictions, and the issues currently presented with cloud variables would only grow with the addition of cloud lists. You can still use cloud variables to create a list which contains entries everyone can see, but the Scratch Team will not be adding an official, easy way to make cloud lists.

--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

This suggestion has been suggested a few times, and after I asked for it to be added to this list, we've gotten word from a Scratch Team member on it. Read the full post for more information.

1.5 Cloud Lists
Cloud variables currently have several restrictions. There can be at most 10 cloud variables per project due to server costs. New Scratchers cannot use cloud variables, for it is easy to misuse them. Cloud variables can only support 256 numeric digits or less so it is harder to create chat projects; for more information, see #3.1 on this list. Cloud lists would require similar restrictions, and the issues currently presented with cloud variables would only grow with the addition of cloud lists. You can still use cloud variables to create a list which contains entries everyone can see, but the Scratch Team will not be adding an official, easy way to make cloud lists.

That makes sense; I've seen the suggestions forum flooded with questions about adding cloud lists, so I'm glad you covered this.

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

1.5 Cloud Lists
this was actually once on the 1st ever rejected suggestions directory, but it wasn't on the 2nd or 3rd for whatever reason.

H
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

this was actually once on the 1st ever rejected suggestions directory, but it wasn't on the 2nd or 3rd for whatever reason.
On @jvvg's post? Looks like that was under a subsection labelled “Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later”.

Indeed, now we know cloud lists will not be here ever.

XxShazammxX
Scratcher
100+ posts

6.5 Remove the Community Guidelines or remove the Terms of Use
The Community Guidelines exist in order to ensure a friendly and safe website for all ages. Removing them completely would mean anyone could post anything they wanted, which would place a lot of chaos into the Scratch website, and generally would not make it very friendly or inviting for all ages.

The Terms of Use exist for legal reasons, and cannot be shortened. In particular, the privacy policy ensures that the Scratch Team will be able to take down projects that use the servers illegally, whether shared or unshared. If you disagree with either the Community Guidelines or the Terms of Use, then please do not use Scratch.

I'll be honest, I think this one is quite obvious, and I'm not really sure it needs to be on there.
I don't really feel like this is something that many people have suggested.

i cant talk

Happy to help!

(Unless I'm the one asking for help )
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

XxShazammxX wrote:

I'll be honest, I think this one is quite obvious, and I'm not really sure it needs to be on there.
I don't really feel like this is something that many people have suggested.
Yeah, I was a little hesitant on that one, honestly. I just figured I'd add it because they've been suggested twice as I'm aware — once for the Community Guidelines and once for the Privacy Policy (in the Terms of Use).

I wonder what others think about this.

MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

I wonder what others think about this.
I feel the same way as XxShazammxX, it feels like scratchers already would know that it will not be removed the moment they join and read the Community Guidelines.
IMO, I think “removing the Community Guidelines” should be removed from this directory because it is far to obvious for a topic that mostly covers less obvious rejected suggestions.

H
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(reserved in case I ever need this particular post location)

Last edited by Za-Chary (May 2, 2019 13:05:57)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have removed the rejected suggestion “Remove the Community Guidelines or remove the Terms of Use.”

Some users have stated that this is too obvious to add to the list, and I've decided that I agree with them. They do seem so obvious that I was a little hesitant at adding it in the first place. The Community Guidelines and Terms of Use bind the Scratch website together. Of course it doesn't make sense to remove them.

It's still rejected, but doesn't need to be on the list, at least not any time soon.

Remove the Community Guidelines or remove the Terms of Use
The Community Guidelines exist in order to ensure a friendly and safe website for all ages. Removing them completely would mean anyone could post anything they wanted, which would place a lot of chaos into the Scratch website, and generally would not make it very friendly or inviting for all ages.

The Terms of Use exist for legal reasons, and cannot be shortened. In particular, the privacy policy ensures that the Scratch Team will be able to take down projects that use the servers illegally, whether shared or unshared. If you disagree with either the Community Guidelines or the Terms of Use, then please do not use Scratch.

Last edited by Za-Chary (May 2, 2019 13:08:41)

MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

2.4 Revert back to older versions of Scratch
Scratch has to update sometimes in order to accommodate for certain changes. In particular, an online editor that ran off of Adobe Flash (rather than Java) was added in Scratch 2.0, and Scratch 3.0 was created for tablet support and in anticipation of the discontinuation of Flash. Changing the editor back to these older versions of Scratch would not only undo years of hard work by the Scratch Team, but also might not work online anymore. If you wish, you can download the Scratch 1.4 and Scratch 2.0 offline editors. However, the Scratch Team is likely no longer concerned with fixing any bugs with these offline editors.

The Scratch Team is still working on bug fixes, new features, and other improvements on Scratch 3.0. The new interface was created in such a way that it is easy for the Scratch Team to make new updates, and they are indeed continuously making new updates (although these updates and bug fixes take much longer to implement than you think). Do not worry, Scratch 3.0 is far from finished!
much like “removing the Community Guidelines”, I fell like this is a tiny bit too obvious. and besides, I've only seen this suggestion show up 3 times in the past so far.
IMO,the same thing goes for an option to make the editor look like 2.0, but I feel like is a tiny bit less obvious.

H
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

-snip-
This one I'll have to disagree with you on.

There's a lot of people who think the Scratch Team should go back to 2.0, or perhaps they should allow users to switch between the two editors. Such requests happen not only on the forums, but on the Scratch website itself as well.

This suggestion is good to include, as it gives reasons for why it's rejected, and really is commonly suggested. I don't think I'll be removing it, at least not any time soon. The same goes for #2.3.