Discuss Scratch

StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

Official Monster World modding thread

Apfellord wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

I believe if you set the battle_misceffect variable to clearplayerstatus and broadcast battle_activemisceffect that should do it. I may have the specific names wrong or be misremembering.
I've found it! It's not quite that, it's a broadcast specifically set to clear the player's statuses… which means I'll have to take the long way making the second ability lol
Oh noo hahaha

It shouldn't be that much of a problem rewriting the script to also clear monster statuses though. If you need help with anything tho let me know!
I have a… temporary solution

Help would be appreciated as I have no idea where to even find the script that clears the player's statuses, but the card I created works, in a roundabout way, as intended

In other news I've got almost all the Skills created now so I'll probably end up sharing the mod some time soon

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

StrixCattus wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

I believe if you set the battle_misceffect variable to clearplayerstatus and broadcast battle_activemisceffect that should do it. I may have the specific names wrong or be misremembering.
I've found it! It's not quite that, it's a broadcast specifically set to clear the player's statuses… which means I'll have to take the long way making the second ability lol
You might still be able to code it as a miscellaneous effect.

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
Cool (hard) platformer boss fight game I made.
Foxprism
Scratcher
16 posts

I tried adding a status effect, but it did not work. I have added a few other status effects, but they all worked. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?
Foxprism
Scratcher
16 posts

Foxprism wrote:

I tried adding a status effect, but it did not work. I have added a few other status effects, but they all worked. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?
NVM i figured it out
EpicRoka
Scratcher
66 posts

Foxprism wrote:

Foxprism wrote:

NVM i figured it out
glad to hear
Foxprism
Scratcher
16 posts

Theres a list in the project called Seeds_Faulty. What is it for?
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

Foxprism wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's for seeds that result in a glitch where all cards gained on level-up are the same each time. (There might be a similar bug with the shop, but it's not as though I've recently stuck around to check.)

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
Foxprism
Scratcher
16 posts

StrixCattus wrote:

Foxprism wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's for seeds that result in a glitch where all cards gained on level-up are the same each time. (There might be a similar bug with the shop, but it's not as though I've recently stuck around to check.)
Cool! I looked at some of those seeds
Catscratcher07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StrixCattus wrote:

Foxprism wrote:

going shop (in a glitch seed) crashes monster world

trouble with clones? view my clone id toolbox! I also have built the bases of a tower defense game link here.
If someone on help with scripts is saying that something can't be done, they should be suspected of being a team limit grunt.
Wanna be the very best? Here's your chance!
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Does anyone know where the code for healing at an inn is?

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
bitc0de
Scratcher
4 posts

I still don't really understand how the adding of cards works thou.
GoJaeDragoon
Scratcher
23 posts

i came here looking for where i put the card propertys but i cant find it does anyone know where to look for it
GoJaeDragoon
Scratcher
23 posts

how do i add cards to the loot table (i feel like your i bit to breef with how to add new abilitys to the game)
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

GoJaeDragoon wrote:

how do i add cards to the loot table (i feel like your i bit to breef with how to add new abilitys to the game)
That's true, the guide to adding abilities is absolutely not finished!

Here's how you add an ability to the loot table:

In the “Loop&Startup” Sprite, there's a custom block called “Reset Loot/Events/Deck”.
In there, you can probably already see that I ordered the cards being added to the loot tables and the player starting deck.
You can just copy one of the blocks and change the name of the card being added to match the card ID of the card you made.

I'll see - maybe I can find the time today to work on the ability modding guide a little :>
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Alright, I added a guide on how to add Abilities to the game! I hope it helps!
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is reminding me I need to get back to my own mod… going to put off sharing it until I've got the full set of Abilities and have given them all a once-over to make sure they're at least a little bit balanced. There's only a little bit left to do, though there'll be a couple of particularly thorny Auras to figure out.

W A L L F I S H
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

StrixCattus wrote:

This is reminding me I need to get back to my own mod… going to put off sharing it until I've got the full set of Abilities and have given them all a once-over to make sure they're at least a little bit balanced. There's only a little bit left to do, though there'll be a couple of particularly thorny Auras to figure out.
I'm excited for it.

StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

I'm excited for it.
It'll probably be out soon—I've only got five more Auras to add, most of which are pretty straightforward, and then a couple of Skills (in a similar vein to Shadow Strike) that will probably be more difficult to incorporate. After that it's just balancing and character art.

W A L L F I S H
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oh wait could I get an explanation of how Shadow Strike works and how I could apply it to a different type of card? Also any advice on a card that, similarly, copies a random Ability of any character.

In the meantime I will be editing the code of every single time a status effect is applied to the player to incorporate one of the last two Auras; wish me luck

W A L L F I S H
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

StrixCattus wrote:

Oh wait could I get an explanation of how Shadow Strike works and how I could apply it to a different type of card?
Shadow Strike is a big hardcoded effect that consists of the following scripts:

In the Stage Sprite, if you scroll down to the scripts that update the attack effect texts, there's an if else script checking whether the variable “Script_LastAttackPlayedThisTurn” is 0 or not. Here, the game sets the effect text of Shadow Strike, as well as its targeting type.

To actually change what Shadow Strike does, you have to go into the “Cards” Sprite and look for the custom block “Card_WhenPlayed (CardID)”.
Close to the bottom of that script, there's the following part:

The first script at the top (that checks for CardID A024) changes the ActivatedCardID to that of the last Attack played.
Afterwards, the script sets the last Attack played variable to the one you just played (if it wasn't CardID A024, because Shadow Strike copying itself would be silly).

If you want to do the same thing for, say, Auras, you'd have to make a new variable that checks for the last aura you played and set it up exactly like this.

StrixCattus wrote:

Also any advice on a card that, similarly, copies a random Ability of any character.
So the Ability effect is just a random Attack, whenever you play it? In that case, you'd probably want a similar script to the one for Shadow Strike, where (inside the “Card_WhenPlayed (CardID)” custom block, the game checks for the CardID of your new Ability and sets the Variable “Script_ActivatedCardID” to that of a random Attack in the Attack Loot List.

StrixCattus wrote:

In the meantime I will be editing the code of every single time a status effect is applied to the player to incorporate one of the last two Auras; wish me luck
Ah yes, it might be best to just make a custom block that changes the status effect and use that for everything. It's one of the first things I did in Taranga and I can't believe I didn't already do it in the Preview.

In Taranga, it looks like this:

Hope this helped! I'm excited for the mod!

Last edited by Apfellord (Sept. 17, 2023 09:23:01)