Discuss Scratch

ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Official Monster World modding thread

I made a mod!
https://turbowarp.org/724211732/fullscreen
It's still being updated, but at the moment it just adds a few more fights and buffs and nerfs some things. The buffs and nerfs on the cards don't seem to be showing up in the description, but they're there.
It has quite a few bugs, not sure if they're my fault, or how they showed up, but it is definitely still playable.
Feedback appreciated.

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
Cool (hard) platformer boss fight game I made.
EpicRoka
Scratcher
66 posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

I made a mod!
https://turbowarp.org/724211732/fullscreen
It's still being updated, but at the moment it just adds a few more fights and buffs and nerfs some things. The buffs and nerfs on the cards don't seem to be showing up in the description, but they're there.
It has quite a few bugs, not sure if they're my fault, or how they showed up, but it is definitely still playable.
Feedback appreciated.
YAY
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

My mod is being updated, and I made 2 cards that apply new status effects. They function perfectly but the status effect graphics don't show up and they've shifted all the descriptions two. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'll need it especially for the auras. (I'll keep looking myself as well)

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

My mod is being updated, and I made 2 cards that apply new status effects. They function perfectly but the status effect graphics don't show up and they've shifted all the descriptions two. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'll need it especially for the auras. (I'll keep looking myself as well)
Heya, I'll try to check back later today when I'm on my PC and see what the problem could be :>
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Alright, here's what I found:

1. The floating Weakness Icon is just there because there is no costume for the character name (that usually goes in the bottom-left corner).
The game wants to stamp a name there, but cant find the costume with the character name, so the weakness icon shows up.
To fix this, simply make a costume in the PenManager Sprite and call the costume “Info_Char2”.
You can copy the Costume for Lunara and just change the name, that should do.

2. To fix the Status Effect Explanations being off-set by 2, do the following:
Go into the player Sprite and search for the “CheckStatusList” custom block.
Change the “repeat 46” block at the start to “repeat 48”, because there are now 48 status effects in the game.
If you add more, you will need to change this again.

Can I just say, I am super impressed with this mod so far! The new character feels strong and fun :>
I especially like how the new abilities you made play with taking damage and regaining it quickly.
And the buffs and nerfs to the already existing abilities and items feel fresh. I'll definitely consider a lot of these for Taranga.

Do you have ideas for how Arfane could look? Some inspiration?
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Apfellord wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

Can I just say, I am super impressed with this mod so far! The new character feels strong and fun :>
I especially like how the new abilities you made play with taking damage and regaining it quickly.
And the buffs and nerfs to the already existing abilities and items feel fresh. I'll definitely consider a lot of these for Taranga.

Thanks! that fixed things, and will be useful later. As for art, I was imagining Arfane's palate to be mostly white and red, maybe spikey red hair. He would be carrying a sword, maybe pointing down (not aimed at the enemy). On his character sheet and character select, he could be shown holding a ball of fire or light. That's all I really have imagined.

EpicRoka
Scratcher
66 posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

Thanks! that fixed things, and will be useful later. As for art, I was imagining Arfane's palate to be mostly white and red, maybe spikey red hair. He would be carrying a sword, maybe pointing down (not aimed at the enemy). On his character sheet and character select, he could be shown holding a ball of fire or light. That's all I really have imagined.
how did you create a new character card? when i tried it it didnt show up
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

To make a character:
create the card and description in the costumes of Menu_Buttons:
(helpful picture I don't know how to add)
then find this script and duplicate Lunara's code, changing both their locations: (if you scroll down to if menu_number=3 you should see it)
Then find the code for Lunara's card, duplicate it, and edit both in order to get the character select working: (you can look in my game for the code)
(helpful picture I don't know how to add) It's under “When I start as a clone” then “if costume name=CS_Lunara”
In order to add the character's cards, go to Loop&Startup and add an if block for the second character, (duplicate Lunara's) make the starting deck and add loot cards:
If you want to change the HP, that is in another sprite which I have forgotten.

Last edited by ChiefJustice (Sept. 8, 2022 21:58:16)

Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Oh, that does sound a little bit like this guy that might be the second character I teased a while ago

I like the sound of it though, maybe I'll get around to drawing the character sometime soon! If you want, give me as many details as you have or a reference sheet or something. I'll gladly support this mod :>
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Apfellord wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

Oh, that does sound a little bit like this guy that might be the second character I teased a while ago

I like the sound of it though, maybe I'll get around to drawing the character sometime soon! If you want, give me as many details as you have or a reference sheet or something. I'll gladly support this mod :>
I was thinking of something more like white robes with red trim. Alternatively, Arfane could have flat short brown hair. His shoes could be black boots.

EpicRoka
Scratcher
66 posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

To make a character:
create the card and description in the costumes of Menu_Buttons:
then find this script and duplicate Lunara's code, changing both their locations: (if you scroll down to if menu_number=3 you should see it)
Then find the code for Lunara's card, duplicate it, and edit both in order to get the character select working: (you can look in my game for the code)
(helpful picture I don't know how to add) It's under “When I start as a clone” then “if costume name=CS_Lunara”
In order to add the character's cards, go to Loop&Startup and add an if block for the second character, (duplicate Lunara's) make the starting deck and add loot cards:
If you want to change the HP, that is in another sprite which I have forgotten.
ive done the first 3 steps already. thanks
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

This whole recent discussion kinda has me wanting to make a character too

I've had the thought that an alchemy-based character would be fun, possibly one who can build up a supply of “ingredients” which would be status effects mechanically, and then use them to enhance their abilities or as a prerequisite for some cards. (A card that consumes all “ingredients” and then gives a random selection of “potion” abilities equal to the amount consumed, maybe?)

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

I was thinking of something more like white robes with red trim. Alternatively, Arfane could have flat short brown hair. His shoes could be black boots.

I see, how do you imagine his personality?
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

StrixCattus wrote:

I've had the thought that an alchemy-based character would be fun, possibly one who can build up a supply of “ingredients” which would be status effects mechanically, and then use them to enhance their abilities or as a prerequisite for some cards. (A card that consumes all “ingredients” and then gives a random selection of “potion” abilities equal to the amount consumed, maybe?)

Ooooh, there was once an alchemist character I designed that I liked a lot! This sounds super cool
If you want to help out ChiefJustice somehow, this could become the biggest mod for Monster World yet.
It might already have that title, now that I think about it.
EpicRoka
Scratcher
66 posts

StrixCattus wrote:

good idea. im thinking of a plague doctor.
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

EpicRoka wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

good idea. im thinking of a plague doctor.
I thought about a plague doctor too (fighting with martial arts/their plague doctor stick), but then I did a bit of research into historical alchemy (strictly, mind, with the intent of finding a name for them from some sort of alchemical term) and one wikipedia-walk later they're now more focused on the search for immortality and blowing things up. (Can't believe I forgot until now that gunpowder was invented from an attempt at making an alchemical elixir… why would I stick to healing and medicine when I could be setting off fireworks in the general direction of the Plaque Warriors)

Last edited by StrixCattus (Sept. 11, 2022 20:03:00)

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Apfellord wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

Calm most of the time. Happy to heal those who need it. Always very eager to show off his skills, especially whatever illusion or fire trick
he learned last.

Apfellord wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

Ooooh, there was once an alchemist character I designed that I liked a lot! This sounds super cool
If you want to help out ChiefJustice somehow, this could become the biggest mod for Monster World yet.
I think it is already the biggest mod. The alchemy character sounds really like a really cool and exciting idea. I'd be happy to mod it into my mod if you want to design the abilities, and would like me to. The game might get too big to play though.
Apfellord, how could I make it so you can only play Arfane or this new character after beating the game? (like Flint)

StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

I think it is already the biggest mod. The alchemy character sounds really like a really cool and exciting idea. I'd be happy to mod it into my mod if you want to design the abilities, and would like me to. The game might get too big to play though.
I've started adding the character into my own remix of the original game, but it'd be cool to have them both in the same mod once both characters are finished. (If, of course, the game doesn't crash under the sheer weight of all the code necessary to set up both characters.)

Currently I've got a decent set of abilities designed (12 Attacks, 11 Skills, and 5 Auras, plus a few “potion” abilities that may or may not only be gained through another card) but I've been making them with no regard to balancing either internally or against other abilities. I'll share the mod once they're playable as intended, but it'll be a while before they're balanced.

W A L L F I S H
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

ChiefJustice wrote:

Calm most of the time. Happy to heal those who need it. Always very eager to show off his skills, especially whatever illusion or fire trick
he learned last.

Apfellord wrote:

StrixCattus wrote:

Apfellord, how could I make it so you can only play Arfane or this new character after beating the game? (like Flint)

Ah, I just made a new variable that is set to 1 once you beat the game. Then, the menu button for the character just doesn't do anything (and has another costume) if that variable isn't “1”.

Great to hear that you guys are working together, if you need any help with scripts or modding in something specific, let me know!
Foxprism
Scratcher
16 posts

I did a little tinkering around, and I was able to make black hole have you draw cards next turn as well!