Scratcher
100+ posts

Official Monster World strategy and balance thread

FireHorse27 wrote:

TheMagicalMrMoo wrote:

Ginsi0 wrote:

TheMagicalMrMoo wrote:

Lescott1089 wrote:

I think you should make save points so that people don't have to start completely over if they die bc then people can't really finish the whole game. I mean keep the gameplay the same but make it so that you don't have to start over completely.
if <<save possible> and < save wanted>> then
broadcast [ save]
end
That would be kinda neat. Maybe have it disabled on hardcore mode, and you can only save at the inn? It makes the inn more useful, in my opinion. I usually skip over it for the store or whatever the question mark is.
Yeah never thought inns could be as useful. (I want to save it in curse of the drawer when I am in endless loop 5 or 6.)
Especially if you're that far. Usually, when I make it to loop five or so the game crashes on me or things start to get odd.

It does kinda remove some of the challenge from a roguelike though.
In the full version, it looks like the inn is going to play a bigger role. In Apfellord's Apfelart, there is a backdrop of a tavern. Also, in the preview version, there appears to be an unused event that sends the player to the town.
Oh, cool! I haven't been too up-to-date on Monster World news, so thank you for informing me

100th page!

basilisk2004
Scratcher
80 posts

Lescott1089 wrote:

I think you should make save points so that people dont have to start completely over if they die bc then people cant really finish the whole game. I mean keep the gameplay the same but make it so that you dont have to start over completely.
broadcast [ save]
end
I really don't think the game needs save points. It isn't exactly very challenging currently, and saves would ruin the roguelike feel of the game.
Ginsi0
Scratcher
100+ posts

This game contains:
- 70+ unique abilities
- 25+ challenging enemies
- 25+ rare items to collect
- Many special events to encounter
- 5 challenges to beat
- And a ton of glitches

(First 5 lines are from the title and I added the 6th)

Insert something coding related

Also if you are reading this, why not go check out some of my projects?
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ginsi0 wrote:

This game contains:
- 70+ unique abilities
- 5 challenges to beat
- And a ton of glitches

:<
Ginsi0
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

Ginsi0 wrote:

This game contains:
- 70+ unique abilities
- 5 challenges to beat
- And a ton of glitches

For now the glitches are 5999 in hardcore, 1421 (I checked) level up system doesn't work, Later having enemys stay on the screen etc.

Last edited by Ginsi0 (Oct. 1, 2020 06:14:29)

pantz2
Scratcher
1 post

I really loved this game, but I noticed that this is but a preview. When do you expect a BETA or ALPHA to come out?
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

pantz2 wrote:

I really loved this game, but I noticed that this is but a preview. When do you expect a BETA or ALPHA to come out?
There will be no Beta or Alpha, we'll jump straight to the full game whenever it's done.
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

FireHorse27 wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

And. here. are. some. spoilers. :>

So cool! BTW what is the giant hand behind the statues? Is it going to be something like a sky god sending statues to attack you?

Answering this would mean spoiling more than I am comfortable with right now, but the next Apfel-Art will probably have a lot of answers for you regarding this. What I CAN say though is that every single one of the statues is a boss and that the game picks one of them randomly for you to fight against.

Actually - while we're on this topic I might aswell ask the community: If I had to make the three individual bosses each counter certain strategies that players like to rely on, which ones would those be?
An example would be infinite ability loops causing you to win turn 1.
ChiefJustice
Scratcher
73 posts

Apfellord wrote:

FireHorse27 wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

So cool! BTW what is the giant hand behind the statues? Is it going to be something like a sky god sending statues to attack you?

Answering this would mean spoiling more than I am comfortable with right now, but the next Apfel-Art will probably have a lot of answers for you regarding this. What I CAN say though is that every single one of the statues is a boss and that the game picks one of them randomly for you to fight against.

Actually - while we're on this topic I might aswell ask the community: If I had to make the three individual bosses each counter certain strategies that players like to rely on, which ones would those be?
What about some of these?
-deal more damage to higher level players (manticore farming, though it might be unfair)
-remove frost, heal poison
-shrink block (wall fish doll+dexterity)
and the current boss already deals with aura by clearing the status

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
Cool (hard) platformer boss fight game I made.
thepixelist
Scratcher
30 posts

Lescott1089 wrote:

I think you should make save points so that people dont have to start completely over if they die bc then people cant really finish the whole game. I mean keep the gameplay the same but make it so that you dont have to start over completely.
broadcast [ save]
end
Like after a boss it could save, or you could buy a save in the shop

Fact 1: 128954+125I5 ≠ 27583926
Fact 2: You didn’t read the numbers
Fact 3: You didn’t realize that I put a letter in the numbers
Fact 4: You’re gunna go follow me now

The Gamemaster Merge Weapons
Ginsi0
Scratcher
100+ posts

thepixelist wrote:

Lescott1089 wrote:

broadcast [ save]
end
Like after a boss it could save, or you could buy a save in the shop
If you could save in a inn then inns would be better

TheMagicalMrMoo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ginsi0 wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

Ginsi0 wrote:

This game contains:
- 70+ unique abilities
- 5 challenges to beat
- And a ton of glitches

For now the glitches are 5999 in hardcore, 1421 (I checked) level up system doesn't work, Later having enemys stay on the screen etc.
Any game of this caliber is gonna have a couple of bugs, especially in its current stage of development. There are AAA titles made with millions of dollars by teams of game developers with more bugs than Monster World. @Apfellord is one guy, probably in college, who definitely has other responsibilities.

Last edited by TheMagicalMrMoo (Oct. 8, 2020 15:30:30)

100th page!

TheMagicalMrMoo
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

FireHorse27 wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

-deal more damage to higher level players (manticore farming, though it might be unfair)
I completely agree with a boss removing frost/poison stacks from itself because those are both pretty reliable ways to melt bosses. Maybe along the lines of shrink block, the boss could remove five or so block from you per turn? I feel that would combat wallfish doll/dexterity five a bit. Or it could just flat-out halve your block or something.

Last edited by TheMagicalMrMoo (Oct. 8, 2020 15:32:45)

100th page!

TheMagicalMrMoo
Scratcher
100+ posts

FireHorse27 wrote:

In the full version, it looks like the inn is going to play a bigger role. In Apfellord's Apfelart, there is a backdrop of a tavern. Also, in the preview version, there appears to be an unused event that sends the player to the town.

I'm gonna have to find that unused event, might be a clue there.

Last edited by TheMagicalMrMoo (Oct. 8, 2020 15:36:21)

100th page!

FireHorse27
Scratcher
100+ posts

ChiefJustice wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

Actually - while we're on this topic I might as well ask the community: If I had to make the three individual bosses each counter certain strategies that players like to rely on, which ones would those be?

I defiantly agree with these except for higher-level players. Frost, Poison, and Walfish/Dexstarity are major strategies that people rely on. If you need three different strategies to counter, I think the list would be:

-Frost + Strength
-Wallfish/Dexterity + Poison
-Energy/Ability Saving Auras i.e. Levitation + Ability Drawing items/abilities

I put strength in with frost but it could probably be added to any item in the list. There have been games where I have had over 10 strength. Combined with other things, I can deal over 100 damage with one attack. It could be something that all the statues counter along with the other unique counters.

Apfellord wrote:

Can't wait till the next Apfel-Art! Is there a time frame for when it is going to be released?

Last edited by FireHorse27 (Oct. 8, 2020 17:51:09)

Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I do feel like a boss clearing their own debuffs would make sense. For the others, I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is any gamebreakingly easy stuff that is inevitably going to be possible that would warrant these bosses countering them.

I probably should've mentioned that Cold Wave is nerfed in 2.0 and you won't be able to farm mantical swarmers for infinite xp.
Frost is carried heavily by Cold Wave in the preview right now. There will be new good frost abilities, but Cold Wave is one of the main reasons why strength is so silly at the moment.

About Block… I'm actually not so sure. What's the difference between removing some block and just dealing a little more damage?
Halving it would make sure that nobody gets too much block and that more is removed the more you have, but idk if I like the sound of that.

Another idea I had was countering single-target strategies, where you just have one finisher attack or dump a bunch of abilities on one enemy in the hopes of defeating them quick and easy. If a boss had protecting minions that would have to be defeated first before you can deal damage to the boss it would make sure that those decks are kept in check.

The next Apfel Art is honestly just a question of when do I feel like sharing all the stuff I've drawn. And I kinda want to redesign the whole Apfel-Art showcase, I'm not really satisfied with the way the last one was structured. Maybe if things go well you'll have one by the end of this month!
Ginsi0
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I do feel like a boss clearing their own debuffs would make sense. For the others, I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is any gamebreakingly easy stuff that is inevitably going to be possible that would warrant these bosses countering them.

I probably should've mentioned that Cold Wave is nerfed in 2.0 and you won't be able to farm mantical swarmers for infinite xp.
Frost is carried heavily by Cold Wave in the preview right now. There will be new good frost abilities, but Cold Wave is one of the main reasons why strength is so silly at the moment.

About Block… I'm actually not so sure. What's the difference between removing some block and just dealing a little more damage?
Halving it would make sure that nobody gets too much block and that more is removed the more you have, but idk if I like the sound of that.

Another idea I had was countering single-target strategies, where you just have one finisher attack or dump a bunch of abilities on one enemy in the hopes of defeating them quick and easy. If a boss had protecting minions that would have to be defeated first before you can deal damage to the boss it would make sure that those decks are kept in check.

The next Apfel Art is honestly just a question of when do I feel like sharing all the stuff I've drawn. And I kinda want to redesign the whole Apfel-Art showcase, I'm not really satisfied with the way the last one was structured. Maybe if things go well you'll have one by the end of this month!
If I am going for a frost combo there is shatter, ice spear or something like that. (rip mantical farmers like me) But really I think the game is going to be great after some time. Of course we can balance it and yes, why not make a boss that can clear it's own debuffs and buffs.

StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

FireHorse27 wrote:

Apfellord wrote:

Some ideas I thought of that haven't been mentioned:
-Something that limits your draw/energy so you can't just keep playing card after card- maybe it casts a debuff on you that brings you down to 2 energy at the start of a turn, or deals damage when you draw new cards during your turn (counters energy stockpiling through Jutsu 1 or continuous drawing of cards through… is it the tadpole?)
-Something that damages you when it takes damage through non-attack means, like poison (would be especially good if it has Spiky, as poison is usually the way to take those sorts of monsters out)
-Something that punishes you for stunning it- maybe it spawns a high-defense minion, like a Stony? (counters any strategy that uses stunning attacks like I believe Deep Freeze)

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
Ginsi0
Scratcher
100+ posts

Found a very fun but challenging challenge from @BooksBooksBooks7 , That I call the “level 1 challenge”. Rules are simple. NO UPGRADING STATS!!!!
Mode is standard (or so far I have tried it in standard so…) and the challenge is hard. You'll have to rely on your own skill and the items you get on the run.

So far people that have beat it:
ME! seed: 4959 Proof: https://turbowarp.org/#435751186

Last edited by Ginsi0 (Oct. 13, 2020 13:07:02)

1ogic
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey has anyone been running hardcore? If so I would be super interested in any tips or viable seeds anyone could offer!
My strategy so far has been upgrade health all the way, then dexterity (if you're still alive).

As for viable seeds my criteria are:
winnable first fights
early honey
winnable miniboss(es) (mostly to get health to full before the caves/swamps)

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, potentially viable seed: 8913 (for some reason the seed doesn't effect the bee anger rng and it's death if they get angry)

Last edited by 1ogic (Oct. 16, 2020 12:20:17)