Discuss Scratch

imhungry21
Scratcher
4 posts

Official Monster World strategy and balance thread

I think you should add some cards, like one card could do a lot of damage but will lower your defense, and a card will give you lots of defense but you lose attack damage. I also think you should add some other mechanics, for example pokemon had burn/freeze/paralysis/poison. I am not suggesting those in particular, but one that is like that. Otherwise I think the game is fantastic. The art style and gameplay is very nice and smooth (on phosphorus of course Scratch is very laggy). I'm not putting this in the comments because I don't think it would fit .
Edit: do not mind mind my card suggestion thing. I did not see the upgrades.

Last edited by imhungry21 (Dec. 21, 2018 22:43:21)

imhungry21
Scratcher
4 posts

Also I was wondering what frost does. And what does XP do besides level up your character/if it does nothing will it do anything in the future? If so, what will it do?

Last edited by imhungry21 (Dec. 21, 2018 22:19:40)

imhungry21
Scratcher
4 posts

My favorite ability so far is KLUNK!-Hammer.
I also like Tidal Strike.
And what is that number in the top left of the card? For Aqua Blast, (the number being 2) does that mean if you attack twice you can't play that card?

Last edited by imhungry21 (Dec. 21, 2018 22:56:06)

Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

imhungry21 wrote:

Also I was wondering what frost does. And what does XP do besides level up your character/if it does nothing will it do anything in the future? If so, what will it do?

imhungry21 wrote:

Wait, how did you get the KLUNK!-Hammer if you don't know what XP does? (I guess through the shop or playing a challenge?)

Whenever your character levels up, you can spend stat points on your Character Sheet (bottom right corner). I suggest playing the tutorial, everything is explained in there

As for Frost: You stack up Frost on enemies to activate other Frost-related abilities (that you'll see when you spend stat points to learn new abilities). For example there's an ability called “Frozen Armor” that gives you 2 Block for every Frost on enemies.

Last edited by Apfellord (Dec. 21, 2018 22:39:19)

imhungry21
Scratcher
4 posts

Apfellord wrote:

imhungry21 wrote:

imhungry21 wrote:

Wait, how did you get the KLUNK!-Hammer if you don't know what XP does? (I guess through the shop or playing a challenge?)

Whenever your character levels up, you can spend stat points on your Character Sheet (bottom right corner). I suggest playing the tutorial, everything is explained in there

As for Frost: You stack up Frost on enemies to activate other Frost-related abilities (that you'll see when you spend stat points to learn new abilities). For example there's an ability called “Frozen Armor” that gives you 2 Block for every Frost on enemies.
Thx! This was helpful. I will definitely play the tutorial

Last edited by imhungry21 (Dec. 21, 2018 22:57:41)

EnderBeast720
Scratcher
1 post

Do you think you could add an ability that cost 3 energy but just knocks out an opponent can't be used on elites, and the boss?
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

EnderBeast720 wrote:

Do you think you could add an ability that cost 3 energy but just knocks out an opponent can't be used on elites, and the boss?

Although I get where you're coming from, I think that's not what the game is trying to do. Making such an ability would mean that a huge part of the strategy of the game would be thrown away because all you would need to get far in the game would be that ability and something to add it to your hand (like the “truth” ability).

I'd say that the ability that's the closest to what you're describing is “Assassinate”, which deals a ton of damage to an enemy if they are below 50% health - you just have to get there!
xlgamer789
Scratcher
100+ posts

how about a “stun” card that costs 2 energy? (hopefully it's self explanatory what it does) and an idea for the next character is “Solaro”, he would be the opposite of lunara. and other cards i'm thinking about are: Heat wave: like a fire version of cold wave, applying a “burn” effect instead of an “on fire” effect, Forcefield: costs 2 energy and blocks all damage of the next received attack.

Last edited by xlgamer789 (Dec. 22, 2018 03:10:13)

define (#a)^(#b)
set [Output v] to (#a)
repeat (#b)
set [Output v] to ((Output)*(#a))
end
xlgamer789
Scratcher
100+ posts

oh, and how about a “give up” button? if you know you're done for, why sit through and watch it happen?

define (#a)^(#b)
set [Output v] to (#a)
repeat (#b)
end
xlgamer789
Scratcher
100+ posts

i think i just got the best possible ending. :-)
(space for next slide)
edit: this was done on normal mode.

Last edited by xlgamer789 (Dec. 22, 2018 04:14:03)

define (#a)^(#b)
set [Output v] to (#a)
repeat (#b)
end
awesomegamer11
Scratcher
54 posts

Off-topic, but is the last boss a reference to the Eye of Cuthulu? I just realised it may be
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

xlgamer789 wrote:

how about a “stun” card that costs 2 energy? (hopefully it's self explanatory what it does)

Stun is one of the most valuable (if not the most valuable status effect you could put on an ability. Just being able to skip the next move of an enemy of your choice is all you need to win the game if you can find a way to loop it (or just have a really thin deck). You'll notice that that's why all the abilities that stun an enemy or do something similar always have some crazy conditions. Leg Sweep only stuns if the enemy is intending to block, which isn't all that bad (mostly you want to stun an enemy when they're attacking for a ton). Geyser only stuns if it's the last ability in your hand (and it costing 2 energy makes this very unlikely). One broken deck build you can try right now (until I nerf it) is pick up deep freeze as soon as you have the chance to get it and keep your deck as thin as possible. What will happen is you'll be able to stunlock an enemy almost every turn because deep freeze is that good. So while I like the idea, that ability would either have to banish itself after being played, or have some other crazy condition to stun.

xlgamer789 wrote:

and an idea for the next character is “Solaro”, he would be the opposite of lunara. and other cards i'm thinking about are: Heat wave: like a fire version of cold wave, applying a “burn” effect instead of an “on fire” effect, Forcefield: costs 2 energy and blocks all damage of the next received attack.

The next character is already decided, but you may be happy about the elemental direction he's heading in
Apfellord
Scratcher
100+ posts

xlgamer789 wrote:

oh, and how about a “give up” button? if you know you're done for, why sit through and watch it happen?
In the options menu ingame, there's an “abandon” button

xlgamer789 wrote:

i think i just got the best possible ending. :-)
(space for next slide)
edit: this was done on normal mode.
Holy moly, that's a ton of stuff! And the score is crazy good too!
Archival
Scratcher
36 posts

I had a game where I used levitate and some drawing ability thing and also the #1 scroll and on a turn I had like 8 energy and used a couple and then played like 9 blizzards in a row against the boss because so many of them were free. It was amazing.

{ insert non-original advertisement }
{ insert unique signature }
basilisk2004
Scratcher
80 posts

The wallfish is the absolute best.
When I go to shop, I always buy the wallfish if it's there.
basilisk2004
Scratcher
80 posts

imhungry21 wrote:

And what is that number in the top left of the card? For Aqua Blast, (the number being 2) does that mean if you attack twice you can't play that card?

The number means the energy you use when playing that card.
You have 3 energy per turn at default, but some abilities can give you more.
Archival
Scratcher
36 posts

basilisk2004 wrote:

imhungry21 wrote:

The number means the energy you use when playing that card.
You have 3 energy per turn at default, but some abilities can give you more.

That's why you need to get the #1 scroll. It is literally the best foundation ever.

{ insert non-original advertisement }
{ insert unique signature }
FireHorse27
Scratcher
100+ posts

Don't Nerf the Deep Freeze Please!!!
xlgamer789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

xlgamer789 wrote:

how about a “stun” card that costs 2 energy? (hopefully it's self explanatory what it does)

Stun is one of the most valuable (if not the most valuable status effect you could put on an ability. Just being able to skip the next move of an enemy of your choice is all you need to win the game if you can find a way to loop it (or just have a really thin deck). You'll notice that that's why all the abilities that stun an enemy or do something similar always have some crazy conditions. Leg Sweep only stuns if the enemy is intending to block, which isn't all that bad (mostly you want to stun an enemy when they're attacking for a ton). Geyser only stuns if it's the last ability in your hand (and it costing 2 energy makes this very unlikely). One broken deck build you can try right now (until I nerf it) is pick up deep freeze as soon as you have the chance to get it and keep your deck as thin as possible. What will happen is you'll be able to stunlock an enemy almost every turn because deep freeze is that good. So while I like the idea, that ability would either have to banish itself after being played, or have some other crazy condition to stun.

xlgamer789 wrote:

and an idea for the next character is “Solaro”, he would be the opposite of lunara. and other cards i'm thinking about are: Heat wave: like a fire version of cold wave, applying a “burn” effect instead of an “on fire” effect, Forcefield: costs 2 energy and blocks all damage of the next received attack.

The next character is already decided, but you may be happy about the elemental direction he's heading in
the stun card could be banished after use, so it's a one time thing until the next battle.

define (#a)^(#b)
set [Output v] to (#a)
repeat (#b)
end
XxPhantomDavexX
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apfellord wrote:

I'm gonna kick this one off with a question:
Have you guys beaten the game yet and if so, what ability was the one that carried you the most? Was there an ability you always loved to see?

Hey my “Crescent Slash” Isn't working properly “Deal 7 damage the choose a skill in your discard pile to add to your hand” I can't choose a card

I bet you 13946324587 dollars
you didn't read that number. You
just skipped right over it.
You didn't even realize I put a letter in it.
No, I didn't but you went back
and looked, I want a love !
-XxPhantomDavexX