Discuss Scratch

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Tommy0924 wrote:

Flowermanvista wrote:

Ok let's get back on topic here:

I think that when the person originally suggested this idea, they didn't mean a pause function in the code, but a pause button in the player that could pause the project while it was playing, and unpause it whenever. This may not be a good explanation, so here's a quick MS Paint mockup:

When clicked, the button pauses execution whereever it may be. When the button is clicked again, it unpauses, resuming the project where it was.
Yes. That is how I think it will work in scratch 3.0.
Now all I need is a time machine…
Neva gonna happen

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Tommy0924 wrote:

Flowermanvista wrote:

I think that when the person originally suggested this idea, they didn't mean a pause function in the code, but a pause button in the player that could pause the project while it was playing, and unpause it whenever. This may not be a good explanation, so here's a quick MS Paint mockup:

When clicked, the button pauses execution whereever it may be. When the button is clicked again, it unpauses, resuming the project where it was.
Neva gonna happen
Don’t be so sure

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

Pause/Resume

Wahsp wrote:

Duplicate
That's in Help with Scripts, not suggestions.

-DancerRJV-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

BLOKBUSTR_GD wrote:

What you could do is use some variables that do not reset at the beginning of the project. That way, you could stop (as in the red octagon to the right of the green flag) the project, then start it again and continue where you left off.
True… That seems like a good idea.

Thank you so much!

Signed,
-DancerRJV-

May the cries of your enemies be silenced by space's void.
(Does anybody remember that from two SWC sessions ago?)

Hey, another siggy scroller!

Hey, if you made it this far, you're a pretty dedicated siggy scroller.

Guess what? I'm a baker, dancer, Disney fan, enneagram lover, teen, who loves scratch, helping out in shops, and guiding new scratchers on their journey through scratch.

My sister is PFTV. If you don't know who she is, good luck finding her…

You know, you should really stop climbing down the stairs to my basement.

I told you to stop, there are some personal things down there!

Whoa whoa whoa, you better sllllllooooooooowwwww down.

You're still looking? Alright fine. Now you know. DON'T GO FURTHER

Come on, please?

… *sobs* pwetty pwese?

Alright fine. You went this far. I guess I've gotta give ya somethin'. Here ya go, I'm a potato. You heard it. now go to my profile and comment “chez puffs”.
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Wahsp wrote:

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Tommy0924 wrote:

Flowermanvista wrote:

Neva gonna happen
Don’t be so sure
The time machine, I meant.
“Sorry, you have to wait 60 seconds between posts.”
Dang it.

sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

mrsteve wrote:

scimonster,

I understand, my concern is that pausing timers could create unintended consequences and potentially change the behavior of existing projects (or new ones created in 1.4).

Ie: a “trick” to beat a game that uses a timer, where you pause and then move things around, then hit resume. Or a strategy game that times your moves and you pause to think about it to avoid the timer expiring or losing points.
It should be that when you pause, you may not interact at all with the Scratch project.

For the main post itself, so far, this is interesting. I can't really put my opinion out right now, since my mind is still thinking about it.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

But… there are workarounds. Just add an if block to all scripts and add a pause button to the stage

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
Dylan-The-Villain
Scratcher
41 posts

Pause/Resume

congyingzhou wrote:

But… there are workarounds. Just add an if block to all scripts and add a pause button to the stage
The workarounds wouldn't work because you can't pause and resume sounds. Also, just because there are workarounds doesn't mean it isn't a vaild idea. This feature would allow you to stop any project without the creator of the project implementing this feature.
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Dylan-The-Villain wrote:

congyingzhou wrote:

The workarounds wouldn't work because you can't pause and resume sounds.
See this.

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

WindOctahedron wrote:

See this.
they aren't talking about sound, this is for scripts and/or projects

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (July 15, 2019 14:09:17)

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

See this.
I was replying to this:

Dylan-The-Villain wrote:

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

WindOctahedron wrote:

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

See this.
I was replying to this:

Dylan-The-Villain wrote:

oh, ok

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Support, I want to be able to go to the bathroom in the middle of a game!

DerpyHead0
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

i think that pause should pause the timer, and let date/time continue, and let cloud variables continue because you literally can't pause them, that's not how the internet works

also, the pause blocks sound great
pause [enabled v] :: control

pause [disabled v] :: control // the pause button will be greyed out and not do anything

pause until <> :: control

Last edited by DerpyHead0 (Dec. 10, 2019 11:44:42)

when I start as a clone
delete this clone
-CodePro-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

I think this is a great idea if the creator could choose if it is available or not, that way any sort of animation or game that you could pause in would be able to choose if it is available while other projects could keep it disabled.

This is my signature, it appears below my every post. Want to change yours? Use the code below in your browsers console.
this.document.location = "https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/settings/" + Scratch.INIT_DATA.LOGGED_IN_USER.model.username

The more you do now, the less you need to do later. - Me, and a bunch of other people saying it in slightly different ways.
fireincarnate
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

Hardmath123 wrote:

We just copy whatever BYOB does. I would say pause everything.

What does BYOB do, BTW?
Now it's called “snap!”, and it's just a more advanced version of scratch. the website is here.

This post is brought to you by Fireincarnate's brain™ (Thanks to WindOctahedron)
I am Fireincarnate, an average scratcher on this site who likes gaming, animating, and just being creative.
I would appreciate a follow at My Profile if you haven't already.
vlpiscanc
Scratcher
500+ posts

Pause/Resume

support

roblox account
If you are interested in playing pokemon unite with me, my friend code is C981MAG.
BestUsernameSoFar
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

This is a feature in Snap!.

Who am I?
Hi I'm BestUsernameSoFar, but you can call me Besty.

(•~•::#30D5C8) // this is Busf, my pet scratchblock!

Please press Ctrl + Shift + Down to see the rest of my signature
or if you're on mobile simply highlight it and scroll down.

Paul wrote:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am an Scratcher that makes Games and Animations!
√ Minecraft
X Roblox
X Fortnite
√ Animal Crossing
√ Mario Galaxy
X Stardew Valley
√ Star Wars: Battlefront
qwertykid44
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

I will point out that forkphorus.github.io does this already, and runs Scratch projects rather nicely to boot, converting them into JavaScript.

As always, please be careful when exploring links and be sure that the websites that others link you to are safe, etc.

Qwertykid44: Currently transitioning.

I'm an INTP “Logician” personality with a passion for D&D. I'm largely retired in terms of attempting massive projects, but if you need something done, I do it or direct you to someone else who can do it.

Working on the DREAMCHILD collab.

Ace/Aroflux
She/Her
Col_Cat228
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Bumping this up, as i wanted to suggest it.
I would really like this feature. If you're watching a long animation, or playing a big game, it'd be very nice to pause it instead of stopping it and redo it from beginning. After all, forkphorus.github.io has it, and snap.berkeley.edu too.
This button would also mean that this block should be added:
pause [all v]::control
pause [this script v]::control
pause [all other scripts in the sprite v]::control
unpause [all v]::control
unpause [this script v]::control
unpause [all other scripts in the sprite v]::control

Last edited by Col_Cat228 (July 21, 2020 09:42:08)

“Everything in the universe is either an apple or not an apple”
-a smart guy