Discuss Scratch

Tunde123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Bump. Not sure what page this was on.

King of the page with edit

Last edited by Tunde123 (May 3, 2022 15:11:02)

This is a SIGNATURE. This is seperate from a normal post ^
Forum Posts: 2600+/3000
Highlight + Shift + Down Arrow = To see whole signature.

Want to friend me on Roblox? My username is BaconvsRoblox121314 if you want to friend me!

–v More Information v–
New Scratchers - Introduce yourself here!

Questions about Scratch - Ask questions related to scratch here!

Help with Scripts - get/provide help here!

Suggestions - Suggest blocks, features, and more here!

Bugs and Glitches - Report bugs/glitches here!

Last edited by Tunde123 (May 17th, 2022 10:18 AM EST)
scratchering_coder
Scratcher
500+ posts

Pause/Resume

1+ Support, bump.
thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

I'd like to add that this is impossbile to make a workaround for. This is because some blocks such as wait blocks take time to finish running and there is currently no way to pause in the middle of these blocks.

can we not just spam “use contact us” all over questions about scratch? it's really not helpful.
MonterAdventures768
Scratcher
23 posts

Pause/Resume

scimonster wrote:

Starting from here, the “How delete all clones?” topic turned more into a “pause/resume” topic. So, i'm creating a new topic for this.

Some points from the old topic:

mrsteve wrote:

Okay so here is a suggestion “Pause/Resume Button” next to the Green Flag and Stop Sign.

I was looking at the project “Day Dream“ (absolutely beautiful) and hit the ”Stop Sign“ half way through and realized I had to go back and rewatch all I already saw (which wasn't so bad).

Anyway, a ”Pause/Resume” may solve my issue while watching daydream and my issue when running a simulation.

Of course does Pause pause everything, including Events? or only currently executing scripts?
I could envision wanting to Pause my currently executing scripts, but still want to be able to:
a) capture a screenshot (various stages of the simulation preserved in my cloud data for later review, which I am not sure I can do within scratch, but would be nice in a future version )
b) data captures to the cloud at various points (of course I could do this other ways, so a non-issue)

Need to think some more …Thanks for letting me think out loud

BoltBait wrote:

If you hit the pause button, would it pause the timer?

Would it pause updating cloud variables?

Would it pause the date and time blocks?

mrsteve wrote:

he he he, In spite of all I do Time marches on, I would expect the same in Scratch.

Hardmath123 wrote:

We just copy whatever BYOB does. I would say pause everything.

What does BYOB do, BTW?

I think:
It should pause all currently running scripts. The timer would be paused, but the Stage watchers of the date/time blocks wouldn't. Cloud variables would take a rest.

*** Note from the Scratch Team ***

Please don't add links to browser extensions, userstyles or userscripts - that's going against this policy.

I also would like that, it would be like TurboWarp.org, since they do have that there.

when green flag clicked
forever
say [Work smarter, not harder]
end

MonterAdventures768
Scratcher
23 posts

Pause/Resume

thugatwoary wrote:

I'd like to add that this is impossbile to make a workaround for. This is because some blocks such as wait blocks take time to finish running and there is currently no way to pause in the middle of these blocks.

Actually i think it's possible, since TurboWarp allows for things like that to happen. I put a wait 1 second block in a sprite, tested it there, paused midway through the 1 second wait, i resumed the project and it waited the last few miliseconds of that block.

when green flag clicked
forever
say [Work smarter, not harder]
end

thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Pause/Resume

MonterAdventures768 wrote:

thugatwoary wrote:

Actually i think it's possible, since TurboWarp allows for things like that to happen. I put a wait 1 second block in a sprite, tested it there, paused midway through the 1 second wait, i resumed the project and it waited the last few miliseconds of that block.
yeah, obviously it's possible to code it if you mod scratch, i'm saying that it's impossible to make it using only Scratch blocks, meaning it's impossible to workaround in Scratch.

can we not just spam “use contact us” all over questions about scratch? it's really not helpful.
eikh2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Abracadabra.
The topic is now on the first page.

ruler3
Scratcher
21 posts

Pause/Resume

scimonster wrote:

Starting from here, the “How delete all clones?” topic turned more into a “pause/resume” topic. So, i'm creating a new topic for this.

Some points from the old topic:

mrsteve wrote:

Okay so here is a suggestion “Pause/Resume Button” next to the Green Flag and Stop Sign.

I was looking at the project “Day Dream“ (absolutely beautiful) and hit the ”Stop Sign“ half way through and realized I had to go back and rewatch all I already saw (which wasn't so bad).

Anyway, a ”Pause/Resume” may solve my issue while watching daydream and my issue when running a simulation.

Of course does Pause pause everything, including Events? or only currently executing scripts?
I could envision wanting to Pause my currently executing scripts, but still want to be able to:
a) capture a screenshot (various stages of the simulation preserved in my cloud data for later review, which I am not sure I can do within scratch, but would be nice in a future version )
b) data captures to the cloud at various points (of course I could do this other ways, so a non-issue)

Need to think some more …Thanks for letting me think out loud

BoltBait wrote:

If you hit the pause button, would it pause the timer?

Would it pause updating cloud variables?

Would it pause the date and time blocks?

mrsteve wrote:

he he he, In spite of all I do Time marches on, I would expect the same in Scratch.

Hardmath123 wrote:

We just copy whatever BYOB does. I would say pause everything.

What does BYOB do, BTW?

I think:
It should pause all currently running scripts. The timer would be paused, but the Stage watchers of the date/time blocks wouldn't. Cloud variables would take a rest.

*** Note from the Scratch Team ***

Please don't add links to browser extensions, userstyles or userscripts - that's going against this policy.
A pause resume button wou,d help me so much its so annoying not having one when ur watching an animation!

☆ Cool ☆ Your ☆ Jets! ☆
~Keith Salford (So Awkward)
HurricaneMitch1998M
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

bumpi (bring up my post asap)

My studio

when green flag clicked
forever
stay up until 1am questioning my existence
end
IVED
Scratcher
500+ posts

Pause/Resume

Hey… Im new to this post thread. How to make waiting in seconds that allows pause?
wait () secs

I am a scratcher IVED, wish you have a nice time in scratch.
IVED
Scratcher
500+ posts

Pause/Resume

bump

I am a scratcher IVED, wish you have a nice time in scratch.
qwerty_wasd_gone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

bump

shift+ctrl+down arrow to scroll
I may sometimes make mistakes, change my mind, etc., and edit my posts
When (::red) clicked :: events hat
repeat until <key [all v] pressed?>{
destroy this sprite::control cap
when @greenFlag misclicked::events hat
become idiot::custom}::control
(╯°□° ╯︵ ┻━┻::red)::#000000 reporter//this is brad, he creates cursed scripts like the one you saw above
(ㆆ_ㆆ)//this is max, he stares at you with that expression if you say you don't support my suggestion

You found me
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

I support! This will make project pausing easier than just stopping it or using workarounds.

Bump.

Last edited by PaperMarioFan2022 (May 16, 2023 16:56:45)

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

INSERT-USER_NAME wrote:

holy heck this topic is ancient

Ikr? lol.

Anyway, this should be added because stopping projects just starts the game or animation, or whatever made over.

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Bringing this topic up.

PaperMarioFan2022 wrote:

INSERT-USER_NAME wrote:

Ikr? lol.

Anyway, this should be added because stopping projects just starts the game or animation, or whatever made over.
Them saying that makes me feel old because I remember being on the internet before this topic.

NEW: Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Fun_Cupcake_i81: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/850535211/
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @ straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

Bringing this topic up.

NEW: Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @ straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

PaperMarioFan2022 wrote:

INSERT-USER_NAME wrote:

Ikr? lol.

Them saying that makes me feel old because I remember being on the internet before this topic.

I agree, but dang this topic is very ancient.

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

IVED wrote:

Hey… Im new to this post thread. How to make waiting in seconds that allows pause?
wait () secs

You can't :/

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pause/Resume

bump because of dupe

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - github - github pages site - tamaNOTchi
stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!