Discuss Scratch

jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
I hate to mini-mod in a anti mini-mod suggestion, but your image breaks the no-names rule.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
I hate to mini-mod in a anti mini-mod suggestion, but your image breaks the no-names rule.
lol those posts were jokes.

Sigton

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
How?

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

jji10 wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-

Sigton
Even if they weren't jokes, they didn't break the rules. You can mention names on the forums lol.

WaffleChurro
Scratcher
100+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

nickeljorn wrote:

0% support. What you call “mini mods” are, in my perspective, “helpers.” They're preparing for a possible future job, helping the Scratch Team, and showing the right thing to do.
They most likely will never get a job if they spend their life on Scratch

Lets ban Minimods together.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

WaffleChurro wrote:

nickeljorn wrote:

0% support. What you call “mini mods” are, in my perspective, “helpers.” They're preparing for a possible future job, helping the Scratch Team, and showing the right thing to do.
They most likely will never get a job if they spend their life on Scratch
The ST doesn't look to hire people who mini-mod the best.

They hire people willing to support Scratch, and lots of other things that don't really require forum arrogance mini-modding

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

forum arrogance mini-modding
Subtle.

Sigton

Last edited by Sigton (May 10, 2017 20:19:48)

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

subtle

Sigton
U r not constructive
Plz chang or else report

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

Sigton wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

subtle

Sigton
U r not constructive
Plz chang or else report
okya i chanegd plas n oreprt

Sigton

jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

jji10 wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
How?
Oh, didn't realize it was a joke. Nevermind, ignore everything I said. Ignore all 1000+ posts that I have.

Last edited by jji10 (May 10, 2017 22:52:12)

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Does this need a bump?

Too bad, I've made one anyways.

I'm running a small experiment, mind taking this?
(╭☞¬ω¬)╭☞ Hello, I'm mostly dead
Oop, and apparently so is that link-
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

No Support. As annoying as this may be for some Scratchers, I really don't see what is wrong about minimodding.

woah, haven't been on here in a while
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Edit: Let's make this extremely clear: I'm not asking to remove reporting. Reporting is important and it would still exist

I'll leave it to others to define the term

We see this a lot on Scratch.
I'll list some typical examples here. Note however that usually mini-mod posts are a bit less concise; I've made my examples short because imitating large mini-mod paragraphs is difficult.

Mini-mod wrote:

OP wrote:

<some post in the wrong forum section>
Hey OP, it looks like this post is in the wrong forum section! I've reported it to be moved to <xyz> for you.
It's OK to ask the ST to move a topic to what you think is the appropriate section, but there's no reason to post about it. This is almost spam.

Mini-mod wrote:

OP wrote:

<some inappropriate thing or blockspam>
Your post appears to break the CG and I've reported it for <bad content>.
There's absolutely no reason to ever post something like this. It's not helpful to tell someone you've reported their post. Leave moderation to the ST.

Mini-mod wrote:

OP wrote:

<some rejected suggestion>
Hello, it looks like you've made a rejected suggestion. Remember to read the stickies!
quote of sticky
I think you get the idea.

Nobody appreciates when mini-mods appear and pretend to be the ST. And nobody appreciates the clear negativity from every other Scratch forum post being criticized by mini-mods for some reason or another. Mini-mods probably are trying to be helpful, but the most helpful thing to do is to stop mini-modding and leave it to the experts (by experts I mean the ST, in case you haven't guessed yet). It's only a matter of time before some mini-mod will make a bad judgement and incorrectly reprimand a poster, resulting in hurt feelings.

What people should do is report posts. Reporting is a very effective way to bring moderator attention to a problem. Nothing besides a report (or perhaps a Contact Us message) is necessary.

TDLR mini-modding needs to be stopped and the ST needs to take a harder stance against it.

Edit 2:
Fully support. I'm glad someone finally said something about the rampaent mimi modding on Scratch! 100% support. I hope you suceed in changing this culture of mimi modding in the fourms. I know if we work hard enough that we can bring the fourms back to there glory days.

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

stickfiregames wrote:

I think the rules should be up to the ST.
IMO the worse type of minimodding is when people push things as if they were rules when actually they're just community conventions
I agree

Sigton wrote:

They are pretty annoying. Tbh I could probably deal with it as long as they were generally nicer about correcting everyone…

Sigton
uh..sigton
no offence

Sigton wrote:

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

If you put a restriction on mini mods, trust me, the spam rate would just go through the roof.
So because they respond to the spam, there's less of it?
They're not doing anything to prevent it in the first place.

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

I personally don't view them as “mini-mods” more of “forum helpers” (no I'm not referring to the group either).
Doesn't matter what you call them they're still the same thing.

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

IMO they're an essential part to the forums.
Because they tell everyone off themselves instead of doing it the proper way and just reporting it? Allowing the ST to deal with the situation is much more effective.

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

They're pretty much the people that “whip the forum into shape”
I'd take an alert to heart much more than a scratcher ranting to me about spam tbh…

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

As per above I'm pretty sure the mini mods help the ST quite a lot. Being that there are only two active forums mods that I know of.
Do you know what helps the ST? Reporting. Do you know what makes no difference to the ST? Telling people that you've reported them.
Honestly, these mini mods do nothing but spread all of the spam etc, because when they post on the topics they bump them up to the top of the forum. If you find it, just report it and the ST will deal with it no differently than if you told that person off. I think that the ST would appreciate it if people just reported posts rather than getting at the offenders.

Sigton
Despite that I do agree with you here.

Last edited by Digital_Gaming (May 15, 2017 05:17:28)

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
iamunknown2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Won't moderating mini-mods create even more work for the ST anyway?

If someone can show me that it's worth the hassle for the ST to moderate mini-mods, I support.

Edit: What if…
  1. Posts on a topic are closed to the user who reports the original post, and
  2. The “quote” button would either be greyed out or be hidden for a user who has reported that post
That could perhaps be more a less ST-resource-consuming approach.

Last edited by iamunknown2 (May 15, 2017 10:15:11)

| My website | Using Geany | A Christian | Running Ubuntu MATE 14.04 with Flash 18.0 (release 0) | Search this with quotation marks on Google to view my posts: “ellipsepostpianolizard” (some posts may not show up) |

Moving on from Scratch? Learn Python/a scripting language (e.g Perl, JavaScript), then move on to a C derivative
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Digital_Gaming wrote:

Sigton wrote:

They are pretty annoying. Tbh I could probably deal with it as long as they were generally nicer about correcting everyone…

Sigton
uh..sigton
no offence
I'm guessing why this was added:
Seventh Suggestion:

People who only warn Scratchers on the forums for doing something against these suggestions. I'd like to say something:

That's utterly counter intuitive.

The point of this sticky is to give you suggestions on what to and not to do. Simply warning someone is not adding to discussion, which is one of the main points here. Please, if you find someone doing:

1. Breaking a Guideline

Don't respond, just report it and move on.

2. Rejected Suggestion

Just make a long enough post explaining kindly that it's rejected and linking the sticky

3. Someone who isn't using one of these Suggestions

Inform them of this sticky, and after being constructive and ‘warning’ them, add to discussion
That sticky is full of recommendations ,not something encouraging people to savagely demand anyone who doesn't follow.

But all your other points are great, though.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

dave4681 wrote:

Digital_Gaming wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
uh..sigton
no offence
I'm guessing why this was added:
Seventh Suggestion:

People who only warn Scratchers on the forums for doing something against these suggestions. I'd like to say something:

That's utterly counter intuitive.

The point of this sticky is to give you suggestions on what to and not to do. Simply warning someone is not adding to discussion, which is one of the main points here. Please, if you find someone doing:

1. Breaking a Guideline

Don't respond, just report it and move on.

2. Rejected Suggestion

Just make a long enough post explaining kindly that it's rejected and linking the sticky

3. Someone who isn't using one of these Suggestions

Inform them of this sticky, and after being constructive and ‘warning’ them, add to discussion
That sticky is full of recommendations ,not something encouraging people to savagely demand anyone who doesn't follow.

But all your other points are great, though.
The sticky has really nothing to do with mini-modding, especially if you read it. It's primarily directed at responding/making suggestions.

Which is not mini-modding.

Think before you act.

hi there fella
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

KingOfAwesome58219 wrote:

Sigton wrote:

jji10 wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-

Sigton
Even if they weren't jokes, they didn't break the rules. You can mention names on the forums lol.
No you can't. It's naming and shaming - if you name someone who exhibits something and then you use that name to describe them in a bad light (such as in this thread, calling them a minimod) it is not allowed and is reportable.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

iamunknown2 wrote:

Not if they stop by themselves.

Sigton

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

iamunknown2 wrote:

Not if they stop by themselves.

Sigton
You know that that won't happen - so the main argument to moderate the minimods - the fact it would save the ST some work - is contradictory and null. Also - what even would you punish them with? A ban? IP ban? Mute? Forum ban? Account deletion?

You get what I mean.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me