Discuss Scratch

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

Supporting this would make me a bit of a hypocrite considering I've done this in the past but not supporting it would mean I'm lying… decisions decisions.
Well I did it in the past, and I gave up my ways because I noticed how arrogant I sounded and the amount of alerts I would get.

You're not necessarily doing something you're actually not when you support or don't support. If someone preemptively judges you then ignore them or report them if they're being rude.
– –
I'd also like to point out the difference here between:

Forum Helper and Forum Mini-mod.
I'm trying my best not cringe when typing this, please pardon me

Someone who helps on the forums is going to be welcoming to users, and give constructive and helpful feedback, as well as find duplicate posts if that's a thing.

Forum Mini-Mods can also/sometimes be Helpers, but mini-mods try to moderate people, finding when they're doing some wrong and pointing it out, telling them they've been reported. Mini-modding doesn't always occur on the forums either. It can occur on projects and profiles.
– –
On a less serious note
OMG LOOK AT THIS MINIMOD

Last edited by MathlyCat (May 8, 2017 12:47:33)

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Please don't spam. It clogs up the topic, makes the page longer, and may hurt others' forum experiences.
And then you posting that clogs it up even more.

Sigton

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Please don't spam. It clogs up the topic, makes the page longer, and may hurt others' forum experiences.
And then you posting that clogs it up even more.

Sigton
Which is the irony in minimodding

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

WaffleChurro wrote:

Everybody wants to make a good impression on the internet, so that is why it happens.
I'd think much higher of someone if they were nice rather than overly professional.

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Which is the irony in minimodding
Another irony here is you recognise that that example post is unhelpful, yet you put it as one of the posts you think is okay…

Sigton

WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Hmm…

I feel as though some sorts of mini-modding is good, after all it can save the ST time. Instead of having to write out where the duplicates are, and have a different post each time, they can simply quote a mini-mod, copy and paste a random message, and go to another message. If it's a rejected suggestion, same thing. However, some kinds of mini-modding should not be allowed, like quoting a post and saying “you said a bad word I'll report you”. I feel like that's a little over-the-top, no?

Furthermore, I'm sorry if I sound a little bit too professional inside of my posts; I try to be polite, but sadly I talk this way in real life, so there's really no helping it on Scratch.

And although I've already given my opinion on this, I've decided to change it up a little bit and rephrase what I said in a more polite manner.

nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

0% support. What you call “mini mods” are, in my perspective, “helpers.” They're preparing for a possible future job, helping the Scratch Team, and showing the right thing to do.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

nickeljorn wrote:

0% support. What you call “mini mods” are, in my perspective, “helpers.” They're preparing for a possible future job, helping the Scratch Team, and showing the right thing to do.
As far as some of them are concerned they already have that job, all they're missing is the asterisk beside their name.

Sigton

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

I think it depends on the situation, somethings are going to be more helpful than others. I don't think informing someone that something is in the wrong section or that something has already been rejected, as harmful, especially if they are already going to make a post relevant to the topic as long as they are not rude or arrogant but helpful.

Witty signature.

jakel181
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

No support it seems (not saying they do) like the st supports mini mods https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/3688309/

Disco Calculator | Is it Prime?
Translate The SDS | The Scratch Wiki

define How to scratch
think [Creative]
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons
;
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jakel181 wrote:

No support it seems (not saying they do) like the st supports mini mods https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/3688309/
They aren't exactly mini-mods, although we do some similar things..

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jakel181 wrote:

Just cause a studio exists doesn't mean they support it

Sigton

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

all they're missing is the asterisk beside their name.
I think there's a reason for that…

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
jakel181
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

jakel181 wrote:

Sigton

Sigton wrote:

jakel181 wrote:

Sigton
Paddle2see supported the studio it is in the description

Disco Calculator | Is it Prime?
Translate The SDS | The Scratch Wiki

define How to scratch
think [Creative]
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons
;
KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Here's my two cents.
I'd think I'm inclined to support. There are several instances of Mini-Modding where it's completely useless and pretty ironic, and there's times where its helpful. Each scenario has different responses that would have good or bad responses. I'll separate them here.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Scenario 1
Scratcher makes a duplicate suggestion.
Good

MiniMod wrote:

Hello! Your suggestion has an active thread here. Please feel free to voice your support there.
or, better yet

MiniMod wrote:

There's a similar suggestion thread here
This leaves the decision of the linked thread's relevance up to a moderator or other Scratchers.
Bad

MiniMod wrote:

There topic is a duplicate. Please do not make duplicate topics in the future
The Ugly

MiniMod wrote:

Use the search engine next time. Reported!
Scenario 2
Scratcher says something innapropriate

Good

MiniMod wrote:

MiniMod says nothing - they report and move on.
Bad

MiniMod wrote:

Please don't name and shame on the forums/say bad words.
The Ugly

MiniMod wrote:

Scratcher wrote:

Don't say that. Reported!
Scenario 3
Scratcher necrobumps a topic

Good

MiniMod wrote:

Once again, MiniMod says nothing - they report and move on.
Bad

MiniMod wrote:

Please don't necrobump old topics. Thank you!
MiniMod has just bumped a topic by saying “do not bump this topic.” There are a couple problems with that. Chances are, the scratcher who originally caused the necrobump won't be returning to the topic to see if anyone replied anyway.
The Ugly

MiniMod wrote:

Reported! Don't necrobump.
I think you get the idea. The best idea is always to report and move on, unless you can provide a helpful link. Mini-Modding doesn't help anyone, as cheddargirl has already stated.
Do not quote this post, you will regret everything

Last edited by KingOfAwesome58219 (May 9, 2017 17:05:23)

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

KingOfAwesome58219 wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

Hello! Your suggestion has an active thread here. Please feel free to voice your support there.
I like your post a lot, but I'm inclined to change this to

MiniMod wrote:

This way, the final judgement on whether it's a duplicate or not is up the ST like it should be.

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

This way, the final judgement on whether it's a duplicate or not is up the ST like it should be.
I like this better. Note the ‘active’ part thought - I feel like bringing up topics from 3 years ago is useless.

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

nickeljorn wrote:

No offense, but this argument has already been addressed, in fact, slightly earlier:

MathlyCat wrote:

I'd also like to point out the difference here between:

Forum Helper and Forum Mini-mod.
I'm trying my best not cringe when typing this, please pardon me

Someone who helps on the forums is going to be welcoming to users, and give constructive and helpful feedback, as well as find duplicate posts if that's a thing.

Forum Mini-Mods can also/sometimes be Helpers, but mini-mods try to moderate people, finding when they're doing some wrong and pointing it out, telling them they've been reported. Mini-modding doesn't always occur on the forums either. It can occur on projects and profiles.

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jakel181 wrote:

Paddle2see supported the studio it is in the description
They could just be following it to see what's going on, make sure everything is alright?

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Sigton wrote:

all they're missing is the asterisk beside their name.
I think there's a reason for that…
*a good reason

Sigton

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

On a less serious note
OMG LOOK AT THIS MINIMOD
http://i.cubeupload.com/5WIRKt.png
Hey look, it's me!

Since I've posted here I might as well voice my opinion.

I've never really seen mini-modding helping a forum situation, first of all, and I do think that mini-mods should be more moderated.

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Here's what I say is okay:
This is the exact sort of thing that clogs up the topic, makes the page longer, and may hurt others' forum experiences. It's best to report a spam post rather than call someone out on it.

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

^ This.

I also don't like this whole being-super-artificially-nice attitude; it comes off as catering to babies, and I haven't seen any ST members talk like that either.

jakel181 wrote:

From the description of that studio:
Welcome to The Forum Helpers! We are a group of people who help around on the forums, answering questions and helping users! We don't “police” the forums, but only help around!
This is very different from “mini-modding”, which is more like “policing” the forums.

thisandagain pls explain
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

__init__ wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

On a less serious note
OMG LOOK AT THIS MINIMOD
http://i.cubeupload.com/5WIRKt.png
Hey look, it's me!

Since I've posted here I might as well voice my opinion.

I've never really seen mini-modding helping a forum situation, first of all, and I do think that mini-mods should be more moderated.

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Here's what I say is okay:
This is the exact sort of thing that clogs up the topic, makes the page longer, and may hurt others' forum experiences. It's best to report a spam post rather than call someone out on it.

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

MiniMod wrote:

^ This.

I also don't like this whole being-super-artificially-nice attitude; it comes off as catering to babies, and I haven't seen any ST members talk like that either.

jakel181 wrote:

From the description of that studio:
Welcome to The Forum Helpers! We are a group of people who help around on the forums, answering questions and helping users! We don't “police” the forums, but only help around!
This is very different from “mini-modding”, which is more like “policing” the forums.
And as you point out already, everyone not supporting this topic is mostly:

a. Being contradictory
b. Re-stating argued points

Think before you act.

hi there fella