Discuss Scratch

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Econinja wrote:

I find it really interesting that the minimodders are actually posting no support on this topic…. Huh.
Ironic right.

WolfCat67 wrote:

I feel that explaining something to a user (especially if it's correct) that's actually a rule makes it easier for the Scratch Team.
but its really annoying

Sigton

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

This is addressed on Sigton's sticky in a short part.

Ironically lots of mini-mods treat that sticky as a lifeline. So:

A. They're contradictory to their ways
B. Them no supporting this topic is kind of obvious since they want to be able to post as much as possible, and be able to boss people around. Basically the mindset of most mini-mods.
C. I remember at one point when people said:

If you see something wrong:

Don't respond, report.
Why is this no longer a thing? Why do people have the tendency to call others out on breaking the rules instead of getting the ST to deal with it?
Isn't that the whole paradox of this?

I strongly support. I did do some of these things, but I stopped. Why? Mainly because:

What are you helping if you just give the ST more to remove/edit?

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

duckboycool wrote:

No support.

A ST member will often look for a post giving the link to a duplicate topic in a previous post in the suggestions forum. If this isn't allowed, how will the ST know which topic? Putting the link in the report? That's a lot less intuitive than clicking quote and putting in the little statement.

It is also much better for Scratchers to make the statement since they have more time to look at the specific situation than the ST, so they usually can make a more helpful/appropriate response.

It doesn't really hurt anybody anyway. What problems arise from somebody doing this?
What problems?

1. Mini-mods tend to not care if one of them already responded to a person, they'll make another post, not only derailing the topic, but giving ST more work if the post was bad, so needing to edit all the quotes, etc.
2. Derailing topics. It happens so often, and it's so frustrating. I don't see topics getting far sometimes because it's all split up between real discussion and mini-mods making posts over someone saying something a little wrong
3. Alienating new forumers, I've see so many users get really frustrated and angry because they get tons of mini-mods telling them what they did was wrong and were reported. This helps make people feel uncomfortable and unsafe to post, or they'll get alerts for hating on mini-mods because they felt like the mini-mods hated on them.

Also, if all the mini-mods took a good read of the Constructive Recommendations Sticky (which many obviously haven't or dont understand that it updates) we might not have such a big issue.

Think before you act.

hi there fella
Ex0gen
Scratcher
82 posts

Moderate mini-mods

Honestly there is no reason to notify someone that you have reported their post to be moved, all the people to do this have a sort of ‘Passive-Aggressive’ air about their posts, they usually patronise people as well.

If you see a post thats in the wrong section, misleading or generally against the rules:

Scratch-Team wrote:

Don't respond, report!.

Manager of Jet-Monkey Studios
Iditaroid
Scratcher
500+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Support. I think a general “don't respond, just report” rule is a good idea, it would discourage not only mini-modding but also flamewars.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

How about this;
every time you see someone being a mini-mod comment on their profile with a link to the topic and “Don't respond, report!”
until they get annoyed enough by it to stop.

Sigton

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

How about this;
every time you see someone being a mini-mod comment on their profile with a link to the topic and “Don't respond, report!”

Sigton
hmm

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Sigton wrote:

How about this;

Sigton
hmm
Well it would tick me off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sigton

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Sigton wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Sigton wrote:

How about this;

Sigton
hmm
Well it would tick me off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sigton
Heh, I think explaining it once would do a probably not because being the wanna be Mod isbest

Think before you act.

hi there fella
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Just wanted to mention the way the ST replies to mini modding. For a duplicate suggestion, it would look like this;

ST member wrote:

Mini-mod wrote:

Duplicate
Thanks for the link! It does look like this is a duplicate topic so I'll close it to keep the conversation all in one place.

Please use the existing topic in the link above.
Call it simply the ST wants to be nice to users, but they clearly seem to appreciate people doing this in their response.

If it truly hurt the ST, they would say something about it. If they did, I would be all for stopping my habit of Mini-modding, but it just doesn't seem to hurt the the ST at all, and possibly helps them.

I also want to state that nobody has replied to my original post, so I don't know what's so wrong about my argument.

This topic has just started, and it nearly has the tension of Remove Restrictions on Cartoon and Unrealistic Violence. I don't see much good coming from this argument.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just leave a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but my newest project is Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but with two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

Econinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

duckboycool wrote:

Call it simply the ST wants to be nice to users, but they clearly seem to appreciate people doing this in their response.
Wait, since when was the ST nice to all of us? Anyways, we need to pay more attention to this:

MathlyCat wrote:

1. Mini-mods tend to not care if one of them already responded to a person, they'll make another post, not only derailing the topic, but giving ST more work if the post was bad, so needing to edit all the quotes, etc.
2. Derailing topics. It happens so often, and it's so frustrating. I don't see topics getting far sometimes because it's all split up between real discussion and mini-mods making posts over someone saying something a little wrong
3. Alienating new forumers, I've see so many users get really frustrated and angry because they get tons of mini-mods telling them what they did was wrong and were reported. This helps make people feel uncomfortable and unsafe to post, or they'll get alerts for hating on mini-mods because they felt like the mini-mods hated on them.
I'm going to focus on 3 here because IMO the ST has a heavy bias to the minimods when it comes to alerts. Say ‘what are you on’ or put stuff in big and bold? Get a alert. Become passive-agressive and do some flamebait stuff as a minimod? Perfectly fine.

“Honestly, is he serious?” ~ Stoffel Vandoorne
“GP2 Engine, GP2, AAARGH!” ~ Fernando Alonso
“I've tried already, try yourself” ~ Fernando Alonso
“Now we can fight!” ~ Fernando Alonso
Proud McLaren Renault Fan rip alonso

please note: I've essentially left the website to do other stuff full time. please do not message me about anything on my Scratch profile or bother me about Scratch elsewhere, I will probably not respond.
WaffleChurro
Scratcher
100+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

100% support because Minimods need to get a life and stop getting their noses into other people's business.

Lets ban Minimods together.
bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Hey. so actually this is a duplicate of a post from 2009, mm'kay? I'm reporting it to be closed; I'm sure my friends at the ST can transfer the discussion from the old forums. Please read the forum rules before posting duplicates and use the search field on the archives. Thanks!

(/s)

Yeah, “report and don't respond” is generally the best for many reasons.

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
TealWashableMarker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

“It's only a matter of time before some mini-mod will make a bad judgement and incorrectly reprimand a poster, resulting in hurt feelings.”

Thanks for doing exactly what you want not to happen. The way you've said all this is extremely hurtful. Instead of being the mature person and explaining politely why you disagree with these people, you chose to bash them, use an offensive name, and basically shame them for what they do.

(In a post earlier)
“100% support because Minimods need to get a life and stop getting their noses into other people's business.”

Same as above.

Grow up, everyone.

Last edited by TealWashableMarker (May 6, 2017 22:15:21)

duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

A. They're contradictory to their ways
B. Them no supporting this topic is kind of obvious since they want to be able to post as much as possible, and be able to boss people around. Basically the mindset of most mini-mods.
C. I remember at one point when people said:
If you see something wrong:

Don't respond, report.
Why is this no longer a thing? Why do people have the tendency to call others out on breaking the rules instead of getting the ST to deal with it?
Isn't that the whole paradox of this?
A. How? Because they are trying to help the forums be more constructive?
B. If I wanted to post as much as possible, I would post frequently on multiple threads, and post new posts rather than editing. Not go around trying to help by explaining something wrong.
C. I haven't seen this, but I haven't been on the forums too much.

I'm going to bring this up again in response to C, as your argument in C is so general.

duckboycool wrote:

A ST member will often look for a post giving the link to a duplicate topic in a previous post in the suggestions forum. If this isn't allowed, how will the ST know which topic? Putting the link in the report? That's a lot less intuitive than clicking quote and putting in the little statement.

It is also much better for Scratchers to make the statement since they have more time to look at the specific situation than the ST, so they usually can make a more helpful/appropriate response.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just leave a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but my newest project is Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but with two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

TealWashableMarker wrote:

“It's only a matter of time before some mini-mod will make a bad judgement and incorrectly reprimand a poster, resulting in hurt feelings.”

Thanks for doing exactly what you want not to happen. The way you've said all this is extremely hurtful. Instead of being the mature person and explaining politely why you disagree with these people, you chose to bash them, use an offensive name, and basically shame them for what they do.
I'm a little bit confused. There's a difference between being intentionally rude
MINI-MODS SUCK THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!!!!
being overly polite and skirting around the topic in a way that doesn't convey what you mean
certain forum users can sometimes be hurtful
and what I said.

I believe what I said was not hurtful or overly rude. I've been mature about this and avoided directly bashing anyone. Can you explain why you think something I said was immature/hurtful and show me what you would have said instead?

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

I'm not sure, but I think they may have been talking about a place like;

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Nobody appreciates when mini-mods appear and pretend to be the ST. And nobody appreciates the clear negativity from every other Scratch forum post being criticized by mini-mods for some reason or another.

Where you could have said something more like;

It isn't good to just pretend to be a mod and boss people around. It's also unhelpful when mini-mods are rude to people simply since they made a post that didn't completely fit forum rules.

I am not entirely positive though. I think your original post was mostly fine, but some of the next support posts were being a bit more rude.

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Did you try reporting the mini-modding comments yet?

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
Econinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

cheddargirl wrote:

That'll take eternity to do. Anyways, I thought the ST allowed mini-modding?

“Honestly, is he serious?” ~ Stoffel Vandoorne
“GP2 Engine, GP2, AAARGH!” ~ Fernando Alonso
“I've tried already, try yourself” ~ Fernando Alonso
“Now we can fight!” ~ Fernando Alonso
Proud McLaren Renault Fan rip alonso

please note: I've essentially left the website to do other stuff full time. please do not message me about anything on my Scratch profile or bother me about Scratch elsewhere, I will probably not respond.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Econinja wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

That'll take eternity to do.
Not really. It helps to have a record.

Anyways, I thought the ST allowed mini-modding?
It depends. Example 1 and 3 in the original post doesn't bug us as much (though we prefer if you don't do it), but Example 2 would bother us a lot and real moderators would see that as being disrespectful.

Last edited by cheddargirl (May 6, 2017 23:58:51)

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.