Discuss Scratch

duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

cheddargirl wrote:

Econinja wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Did you try reporting the mini-modding comments yet?

That'll take eternity to do.
Not really. It helps to have a record.

Anyways, I thought the ST allowed mini-modding?
It depends. Example 1 and 3 in the original post doesn't bug us as much (though we prefer if you don't do it), but Example 2 would bother us a lot and real moderators would see that as being disrespectful.
Huh. Not what I was expecting. I did say that if the ST said this it was preferred not to do this, then I'd stop, so I suppose I'll follow this suggestion.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just leave a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but my newest project is Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but with two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Now that I have saw this topic, I saw the error of my ways, the “mini-modding” and am now resolving for change.

I completely agree that mini-modding is not helpful and can often be considered rude and disrespectful. Even if the “tone” of their post is nice, it still takes up space and it's just better to leave the work for the ST (instead of little kids like me )

Has anyone read The Outsiders? This kind of reminds me of Ponyboy's brother, Darry, who always nags at him for every little mistake he makes. This is an example of a typical mini-mod. Always telling users to do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that…and so on. This will especially tick off newcomers in the forums. They make a simple mistake, and BAM! Ten mini-modders come in and tell them that they were reported for breaking a forum convention (not actually rules).

To summarize, mini-modding has absolutely no benefit; the purpose of the Suggestions forum is to discuss features that should be added to Scratch, not telling users what (not) to do.
awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

As per above, that's why I can't support this topic.

I'm not saying I'm at no support, but seriously…

If I support this, I'll be considered indecisive

If I don't support this I'll be considered a mini mod.

I'm running a small experiment, mind taking this?
(╭☞¬ω¬)╭☞ Hello, I'm mostly dead
Oop, and apparently so is that link-
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

No support. While minimods may be annoying, they aren't breaking the rules, unless they humble their offenders.

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support. While minimods may be annoying, they aren't breaking the rules, unless they humble their offenders.
which is why this is a suggestion that the rules should be changed

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
WaffleChurro
Scratcher
100+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Most of them are arrogant people who make you feel very uncomfortable.

Lets ban Minimods together.
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Would calling out duplicates with a link of the original be minimodding?

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
Econinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

If there isn't anything else on your post (exculding other of that minimod stuff), yup.

“Honestly, is he serious?” ~ Stoffel Vandoorne
“GP2 Engine, GP2, AAARGH!” ~ Fernando Alonso
“I've tried already, try yourself” ~ Fernando Alonso
“Now we can fight!” ~ Fernando Alonso
Proud McLaren Renault Fan rip alonso

please note: I've essentially left the website to do other stuff full time. please do not message me about anything on my Scratch profile or bother me about Scratch elsewhere, I will probably not respond.
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

Depends how you go about it. If you simply mark it as a duplicate, that'd be fine. But if you try to moderate the user that created the thread that's not so good.

Sigton

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Econinja wrote:

jji10 wrote:

If there isn't anything else on your post (exculding other of that minimod stuff), yup.
I would say pointing out a duplicate is always a good idea. It means that if someone finds the closed topic, they can follow the link to the open one. Yes the ST could post the link, but since the user had to find the link in the first place they might as well post it there to save the ST's time.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

What I hate about this forum is that everyone here tries too much to appear professional, and we could be more helpful if we tried to be ourselves

Last edited by dave4681 (May 7, 2017 18:03:35)

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

I'm partially neutral to this, as mini-modding is pretty irritating, but doesn't harm the community entirely. I'm not defending anyone, but unless they're intentionally posing as the ST, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I agree with opposing against the following scenario:
(BAD WORD)
Hey, you said a bad word. Be sure to read the CG next time!
So did I. Please respect the community too!

But I typically just inform the OP, such as in the event of an (un)intentional name-and-shame, that it's not allowed and they should avoid doing it in the future in a kind of casual/personal kind of way, but not in the way where I look like a ST member.

7500+ posts (19th)
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Austinato wrote:

I'm partially neutral to this, as mini-modding is pretty irritating, but doesn't harm the community entirely. I'm not defending anyone, but unless they're intentionally posing as the ST, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I agree with opposing against the following scenario:
(BAD WORD)
Hey, you said a bad word. Be sure to read the CG next time!
So did I. Please respect the community too!

But I typically just inform the OP, such as in the event of an (un)intentional name-and-shame, that it's not allowed and they should avoid doing it in the future in a kind of casual/personal kind of way, but not in the way where I look like a ST member.
The problem is that it's quite hard to sound casual without sounding annoying/disrespectful.

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

jji10 wrote:

The problem is that it's quite hard to sound casual without sounding annoying/disrespectful.
Kind of true.

7500+ posts (19th)
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

duckboycool wrote:

Just wanted to mention the way the ST replies to mini modding. For a duplicate suggestion, it would look like this;

ST member wrote:

Mini-mod wrote:

Duplicate
Thanks for the link! It does look like this is a duplicate topic so I'll close it to keep the conversation all in one place.

Please use the existing topic in the link above.
Call it simply the ST wants to be nice to users, but they clearly seem to appreciate people doing this in their response.

If it truly hurt the ST, they would say something about it. If they did, I would be all for stopping my habit of Mini-modding, but it just doesn't seem to hurt the the ST at all, and possibly helps them.

I also want to state that nobody has replied to my original post, so I don't know what's so wrong about my argument.

This topic has just started, and it nearly has the tension of Remove Restrictions on Cartoon and Unrealistic Violence. I don't see much good coming from this argument.
Well first off:

1. You ignore my post responding to you.
2. Your only evidence against me is that mini-mods help with duplicate links, which I'm pretty sure the topic is not about

WaffleChurro wrote:

Which sadly happens to be some of the people defending the topic.
Can't expose names .__.

Last edited by MathlyCat (May 8, 2017 01:46:41)

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
2. Your only evidence against me is that mini-mods help with duplicate links, which I'm pretty sure the topic is not about
1. I think I posted that before you did, but you only replied to the bottom little question, not my argument. Although since a ST member has confirmed mini-modding is hurtful from them, I have stopped doing it, aside from in duplicates because…
2. It was something that I thought was addressed here, but whether it is or isn't, I will still do this instance as it is clearly required for the entire duplicate reporting idea to work. This was also only my second post, so I had different things in my first one.

But again, the official ST response changes my standpoint.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just leave a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but my newest project is Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but with two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Okay, I'm gonna be a complete hypocrite here.

Yes. I'm a minimod.

Yes. I do support this idea - but not in the extreme. Minimods should be kept in check, but not eradicated. There are some who are disrespectful or blunt when they minimod, and in the earlier, they deserve reprimand. In the latter, the post should at least be removed.

There's nothing wrong with minimodding if you do it in a polite, professional, and civilized manner, much like how the ST respond to duplicates, rejected posts, and the like. (that said if you really do something horribly wrong, pretty much anyone's gonna be condescending, even the ST, provided you deserve it.)

Here's what I say is okay:
Sorry, but someone suggested this idea before you. Please continue it here so all of the statements, evidence, debates,
and speculation are all in one place.
Sorry, but this suggestion has been suggested before and has gotten a definitive response from the ST and thus does not need to carry on until further notice. Please read the stickies before posting, but don't stop coming up with ideas. There are some things that you might see missing that passed under everyone else's radars, and vice versa - it's what the whole forum is about.
Please don't spam. It clogs up the topic, makes the page longer, and may hurt others' forum experiences.

The latter would be the catchall for minimodding the straight ‘duplicate’ posts as well as the ‘rejected’ posts.

Basically, I think that the mini-modders should take a bit of inspiration from the ST and actually make it so that it genuinely feels like they care about the forums, not about getting noticed or post counts.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

duckboycool wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. I think I posted that before you did, but you only replied to the bottom little question, not my argument. Although since a ST member has confirmed mini-modding is hurtful from them, I have stopped doing it, aside from in duplicates because…
2. It was something that I thought was addressed here, but whether it is or isn't, I will still do this instance as it is clearly required for the entire duplicate reporting idea to work. This was also only my second post, so I had different things in my first one.

But again, the official ST response changes my standpoint.
The ST response, when I read it, came off as a ‘it doesn’t necessarily always hurt, but it generally does because of how people do it'.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

Supporting this would make me a bit of a hypocrite considering I've done this in the past but not supporting it would mean I'm lying… decisions decisions.

WaffleChurro
Scratcher
100+ posts

Moderate mini-mods

dave4681 wrote:

What I hate about this forum is that everyone here tries too much to appear professional, and we could be more helpful if we tried to be ourselves
Everybody wants to make a good impression on the internet, so that is why it happens.

MathlyCat wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

Just wanted to mention the way the ST replies to mini modding. For a duplicate suggestion, it would look like this;

ST member wrote:

Mini-mod wrote:

Duplicate
Thanks for the link! It does look like this is a duplicate topic so I'll close it to keep the conversation all in one place.

Please use the existing topic in the link above.
Call it simply the ST wants to be nice to users, but they clearly seem to appreciate people doing this in their response.

If it truly hurt the ST, they would say something about it. If they did, I would be all for stopping my habit of Mini-modding, but it just doesn't seem to hurt the the ST at all, and possibly helps them.

I also want to state that nobody has replied to my original post, so I don't know what's so wrong about my argument.

This topic has just started, and it nearly has the tension of Remove Restrictions on Cartoon and Unrealistic Violence. I don't see much good coming from this argument.
Well first off:

WaffleChurro wrote:

Which sadly happens to be some of the people defending the topic.
Can't expose names .__.
xD

stickfiregames wrote:

Econinja wrote:

jji10 wrote:

I would say pointing out a duplicate is always a good idea. It means that if someone finds the closed topic, they can follow the link to the open one. Yes the ST could post the link, but since the user had to find the link in the first place they might as well post it there to save the ST's time.
It's helpful too, but really we should leave it to the administrators.

Lets ban Minimods together.