Discuss Scratch

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Skycoon Collaborative Project - Multiplayer Tycoon Game - Now Hiring Advertisers!

Dvd00 wrote:

-Collab- wrote:

Dvd00 wrote:

Hey! This looks like a very interesting project. I know that the Coder positions are filled, but if you need any help (or if any spots open up) I would love to help.

I can probably open a slot for you.
Thank you!

np

TheSuperiorNootNoot
Scratcher
31 posts

Skycoon Collaborative Project - Multiplayer Tycoon Game - Now Hiring Advertisers!

Seriously I am getting bored. I want something to do!

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[Coder] = [Getting bored]> then
set [Assignment] to [anything, absolutely ANYTHING]
end
end

La meilleure vengeance est le succès maître
Translated to
The best revenge is master success
TheSuperiorNootNoot
Scratcher
31 posts

I might not be on as often this weekend. or at all.

Good night

Last edited by TheSuperiorNootNoot (Jan. 20, 2017 00:19:56)

Translated to
CantStopWishiwashi
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheSuperiorNootNoot wrote:

Seriously I am getting bored. I want something to do!

when green flag clicked
forever
if <[Coder] = [Getting bored]> then
set [Assignment] to [anything, absolutely ANYTHING]
end
end

He added assignments, and he's got something for you to do.

Last edited by CantStopWishiwashi (Jan. 20, 2017 01:10:18)

hedgehog_blue
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Recently, I've been sort of busy working on cloud things that could work if they got the cloud back up. You wan't Mole_Gaming to do that for this project but I could help with that.

I have 3 different drawings in progress for this game, my first priority is now art for the menu, which I will put in once somebody remixes the original project and adds a main menu.

I think Mole has a good idea for the cloud, I'm still only working on my first cloud project so I think that I shouldn't help with cloud.

I can make the menu now, but for later I want to know what kinds of ships to make, which buildings to make, and which inventory items to make. I also want to know a little more about how the map will work.

Last edited by hedgehog_blue (Jan. 20, 2017 01:50:17)

Mole_Gaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think I may have come up with a thing for my assignment. It works in theory, but I have just one question:

How big will the inventories be? I ask because I might have to implement a scroll feature, which wouldn't be hard, but it would be nice to know.

I can work on the could stuff now: So here's my plan: If you find a problem with it, it would be helpful to know, because I might have to redesign the thing.

When it will lag:
- Searching for players, mainly because it will update the cloud list every few seconds
- Trading, because it has to load
- Rendering inventory items, because it will probably use clones (if we want to be able to click on them and stuff)

I'll walk through how it works then get working on it.

There will be three lists; one for players, one for their inventories, and one for trade offers
The players list will be just a list of the players
The inventories list will hold what I call “alphadecimal values” for their items. “Alphadecimal values” are basically 0-9 and a-z, to represent a different item in each slot of the inventory. i.e 9 = 9, 10 = a, 11 = b, etc. so an item with an id of 11 would be represented by the letter b. This will only work for 36 different items, but I will probably make it use two characters instead of one, increasing it to 1296 items.
The list for trade offers will store the values of four items, two for the items each member is offering, and two for what they want for that item.
That's all cloud storage stuff, the rest is more simple.

I'll get working on it immediately!
~Mole

am can program above good
Mole_Gaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

It would also be kinda nice to see what the trading screen is supposed to look like, so nobody has to look through my code to fix stuff with item placement and such.

Here are my ideas for it:

- both parties can view each others and their inventories
- each person can select an item they offer, and an item from the other player that they want for it. This would make it so they wouldn't have to communicate with words, which the ST doesn't really like for some reason

I have the cloud engine done, so we can now save lists to the cloud. Everything is set up for the cloud things, I just need to make code for what to put in the lists and such.

I should probably get going soon, I will resume tomorrow with the trading engine

Last edited by Mole_Gaming (Jan. 20, 2017 02:08:33)

Dvd00
Scratcher
13 posts

Hard to make scripts without any art, but this is what I have for now. I have to get going now, but I will continue to work on it later.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/140605223/
TheSuperiorNootNoot
Scratcher
31 posts

I will try to do the “pirates” and “biomes” thing, but someone will need to create the sprites afterwards.

Translated to
Mole_Gaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey guys, they're redoing the cloud var stuff, so it's just in fallback mode for now, and cloud stuff won't work until they finish

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/119629398/

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mole_Gaming wrote:

Hey guys, they're redoing the cloud var stuff, so it's just in fallback mode for now, and cloud stuff won't work until they finish

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/119629398/

So basically you can't work on it until this gets fixed? If that is the case then just chill and as soon as the cloud is fixed, then work at your own pace!

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mole_Gaming wrote:

It would also be kinda nice to see what the trading screen is supposed to look like, so nobody has to look through my code to fix stuff with item placement and such.

Here are my ideas for it:

- both parties can view each others and their inventories
- each person can select an item they offer, and an item from the other player that they want for it. This would make it so they wouldn't have to communicate with words, which the ST doesn't really like for some reason

I have the cloud engine done, so we can now save lists to the cloud. Everything is set up for the cloud things, I just need to make code for what to put in the lists and such.

I should probably get going soon, I will resume tomorrow with the trading engine

I was imagining something similar to the Pokemon Link Trading interface, where you see your inventory but not the other person's. I think that showing both player's inventories would take up too much space on the screen, unless you want to implement a scrolling feature for viewing your surplus resources. About half the screen should be showing your offer and the other player's offer, and the other half should show inventory(s).

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

I will try to do the “pirates” and “biomes” thing, but someone will need to create the sprites afterwards.

Are you making the scripts or art? If you are making scripts, then please don't yet, we need something to build off of first, just do the menu. Try to outdo @Dvd00 . Think of it as some friendly competition! If you are making art, then just tell me, we could use some more artists.

Mole_Gaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

-Collab- wrote:

I was imagining something similar to the Pokemon Link Trading interface, where you see your inventory but not the other person's. I think that showing both player's inventories would take up too much space on the screen, unless you want to implement a scrolling feature for viewing your surplus resources. About half the screen should be showing your offer and the other player's offer, and the other half should show inventory(s).

I think showing both inventories would be best, and implement a scrolling mechanism. This way, the two players won't have to communicate, which we probably won't let them anyway.

If you could only see your inventory, there's no real way of communicating what you want from them

TheSuperiorNootNoot
Scratcher
31 posts

I created a “pirate” script, but I am still doing the Biome one. I have to peek around the code to see what is going on first. The pirates take half your resources, and come around every 10 to 15 minutes. Please tell me how you want this to work, i.e You can stop the pirates, or they take a set amount, something like that.

Translated to
AiyanMind
Scratcher
100+ posts

Darn! The spots are filled. Oh, well.

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

AiyanMind wrote:

What position did you want?

-Collab-
Scratcher
100+ posts

I created a “pirate” script, but I am still doing the Biome one. I have to peek around the code to see what is going on first. The pirates take half your resources, and come around every 10 to 15 minutes. Please tell me how you want this to work, i.e You can stop the pirates, or they take a set amount, something like that.

Well, if you have the script completed, share the project so I can see it. Also, if you can't find the assignments, they are always on the original post. Your current assignment is to make a main menu script. Not any other menus, like options, or credits, just the main menu that appears when you start the project.

Mole_Gaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

-Collab- wrote:

So basically you can't work on it until this gets fixed? If that is the case then just chill and as soon as the cloud is fixed, then work at your own pace!

I can work on it, but it won't be able to be tested properly.

AiyanMind
Scratcher
100+ posts

-Collab- wrote:

AiyanMind wrote:

What position did you want?
I wanted some sort of coder position.