Discuss Scratch

mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

I suggest that you can have nested lists because using these:
(join (letter () of [world]) [world])
Creates massive Boolean statements that lag the project editor when attempting to change or add to them. That lag occurs even when I use fast computers.

What are they?
Lists inside lists, nested lists, first class lists, multidimensional lists.

What are they for?
Storing lots of data about lots of clones or pen objects (eg their size, score and X position).

Shouldn't scratch be for all ages?
That includes us supporters. Also, here are some other complicated blocks.
define (Run without screen refresh)
All advanced maths including trig
(() mod ())

What will it look like and how will it work?
Possibly like Snap!'s representation:

A few block ideas:
(item (1 v) of [list v] nested: (item (1 v) of [sublist v] nested: [none v] :: list) :: list)
(item (nested (1) (1) :: list) of [list v] :: list)
Please suggest yours!

Last edited by mrbobbygreathead (Aug. 5, 2016 18:34:09)


We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!
-Addify-
Scratcher
54 posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

I suggest that you can have nested lists (lists inside lists) because using these:
(join (letter () of [world]) [world])
Creates massive Boolean statements that lag the project editor when attempting to change or add to them. That lag occurs even when I use fast computers.
Multi-dimensional arrays sund good bbut they require first class lists. ^.^

Support!

I am the new account that @jokebookservice1 is moving to.
mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

-Addify- wrote:

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

I suggest that you can have nested lists (lists inside lists) because using these:
(join (letter () of [world]) [world])
Creates massive Boolean statements that lag the project editor when attempting to change or add to them. That lag occurs even when I use fast computers.
Multi-dimensional arrays sund good bbut they require first class lists. ^.^

Support!
Alternatively, we could have arrays as a data type in their own right.

We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

-Addify- wrote:

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

I suggest that you can have nested lists (lists inside lists) because using these:
(join (letter () of [world]) [world])
Creates massive Boolean statements that lag the project editor when attempting to change or add to them. That lag occurs even when I use fast computers.
Multi-dimensional arrays sund good bbut they require first class lists. ^.^

Support!
Alternatively, we could have arrays as a data type in their own right.
Aka first class lists

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
Post count: more than 6
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

This will return false in your favourite programming language (…except Scratch):
(1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324) == (1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324)
Gaza101
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Support. I'd want to see this implemented as multidimensional lists since it would likely be easier for young coders to grasp.

Gaza101: retired member of the Scratch 2.0 Transition Team


LP_Play
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Support.

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

So basically like first-class lists?
SUPPORT

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

I have a great idea for a use of this.

Support.

(The idea: Make a text engine, store x coords, y coords, and text in a 3D list. And have the engine go through the list and print the text at all the x,y coords.)
Studio42
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Support! I would love to have arrays!

mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

It's great to have so much positive feedback so I'd like to bump this up. 7 supporters so far.

We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!
mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Bump.

We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!
JavierR100
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!


(image from “Snap!”)
Support

My customs Blocks on “Snap!” || search in google HN54FyF4KW27o*YWAD94qjEMLV62+]59 to find all my posts. || “Fantasy Tank Builder” Topic || Diep.io | Official Thread || Geometry Dash name account: "JavierR100". || Geometry Dash Official Topic

Actually, [B]en is my legal name!- Pen, BFB 5

Sorry, I'm gone to roblox now, so Im not able to reply anymore!

Ziggy741
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?

Last edited by Ziggy741 (Aug. 5, 2016 01:26:50)


Just so that you're aware, most, if not all, of the posts of this account were done a long time ago.
Please check out my rating stand!!! Here!
mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It would be used for clones/pen objects which you want to have multiple properties for. It means you could have (eg) a list called ‘bananas’ and each item would be a list containing their size, X position, Y position and their tastiness.

We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It looks quite self-explanatory. It's a list in a list:
1)
2)
a)
b)
c)
3)
If you can have strings, numbers, and booleans in lists (which are all different data types), then why not have lists inside lists?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
Post count: more than 6
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

This will return false in your favourite programming language (…except Scratch):
(1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324) == (1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324)
Ziggy741
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It would be used for clones/pen objects which you want to have multiple properties for. It means you could have (eg) a list called ‘bananas’ and each item would be a list containing their size, X position, Y position and their tastiness.
Do you even read the Community Guidelines? "Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities."

Last edited by Ziggy741 (Aug. 5, 2016 13:38:04)


Just so that you're aware, most, if not all, of the posts of this account were done a long time ago.
Please check out my rating stand!!! Here!
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Ziggy741 wrote:

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It would be used for clones/pen objects which you want to have multiple properties for. It means you could have (eg) a list called ‘bananas’ and each item would be a list containing their size, X position, Y position and their tastiness.
Do you even read the Community Guidelines? "Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities."
Did you? Because it also said to be respectful.

Sheep_maker wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It looks quite self-explanatory. It's a list in a list:
1)
2)
a)
b)
c)
3)
If you can have strings, numbers, and booleans in lists (which are all different data types), then why not have lists inside lists?
Yeah, like that. It's like you're writing an outline for a speech or presentation of some sort. Like:

I. Main point (first list)
A. Sub point (list inside the first list)
1. Sub point (list inside of the second list inside of the first)
a. Details (list inside of the third inside of the second inside of the first)
II. Another main point
III. Closing remarks
Ziggy741
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Scratcher1002 wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

mrbobbygreathead wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It would be used for clones/pen objects which you want to have multiple properties for. It means you could have (eg) a list called ‘bananas’ and each item would be a list containing their size, X position, Y position and their tastiness.
Do you even read the Community Guidelines? "Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities."
Did you? Because it also said to be respectful.

Sheep_maker wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It looks quite self-explanatory. It's a list in a list:
1)
2)
a)
b)
c)
3)
If you can have strings, numbers, and booleans in lists (which are all different data types), then why not have lists inside lists?
Yeah, like that. It's like you're writing an outline for a speech or presentation of some sort. Like:

I. Main point (first list)
A. Sub point (list inside the first list)
1. Sub point (list inside of the second list inside of the first)
a. Details (list inside of the third inside of the second inside of the first)
II. Another main point
III. Closing remarks
I was just showing how this suggestion would be good for younger kids who are learning to program.

Just so that you're aware, most, if not all, of the posts of this account were done a long time ago.
Please check out my rating stand!!! Here!
space_elephant
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Sheep_maker wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It looks like that it is not for kids that are learning to program. The picture in JavierR100's post looks extremely strange and mysterious. I cannot think of any use for it, and what would it even do?
It looks quite self-explanatory. It's a list in a list:
1)
2)
a)
b)
c)
3)
If you can have strings, numbers, and booleans in lists (which are all different data types), then why not have lists inside lists?
lists should be datatypes but they are not.
support

red link
[url=redlink.com][color=red][u]red link[/u][/color][/url]
mrbobbygreathead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lists within lists - add the essential programming feature!

Front post is updated. It answers all Ziggy's questions. Try and avoid a flame war we're trying to accomplish something here.

We need you to tell the scratch team we want nested lists! (Also known as first class lists, multidimensional lists or just lists inside lists). Support now!
Please try out SSMS, the radical new approach to Scratch music! Compose, share and use music all inside scratch!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile