Discuss Scratch

jgdoesscratch
Scratcher
29 posts

Scratch 3.0

I think WebGL was the right choice here. I made a pi calc using the test GUI and it seems not to lag!

say [PERFECT!]

when green flag clicked
forever
say [Hello!] for (2) secs
wait (2) secs
end

EDIT: FPS seems to drop a bit..

Last edited by jgdoesscratch (Oct. 1, 2017 01:13:58)

jgdoesscratch
Scratcher
29 posts

Scratch 3.0

1. Please increase the decimal digit limit! This will enable more precise calculation much more easily as the workaround is complex. (double float x = 2.124357561)
    Create predicate variables in the data section. (bool y = false)
Both have workarounds, but these changes would make Scratch much more like C++ and other text coded languages.
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

jgdoesscratch wrote:

1. Please increase the decimal digit limit! This will enable more precise calculation much more easily as the workaround is complex. (double float x = 2.124357561)
    Create predicate variables in the data section. (bool y = false)
Both have workarounds, but these changes would make Scratch much more like C++ and other text coded languages.
Why not use bignum as a workaround? I agree the rounding is somewhat annoying though.
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

jgdoesscratch wrote:

Does this help?

jgdoesscratch wrote:

Scratch isn't supposed to be like C++ and other text coded languages.
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

walkcycle wrote:

jgdoesscratch wrote:

Does this help?

jgdoesscratch wrote:

Scratch isn't supposed to be like C++ and other text coded languages.
Well, I don't see how this confuses a lot of users the first time they see this:
set [variable v] to ((variable) + (1))

// Workaround for:

change [variable v] by (1)

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Charles12310 wrote:

walkcycle wrote:

snip
Well, I don't see how this confuses a lot of users the first time they see this:
set [variable v] to ((variable) + (1))

// Workaround for:

change [variable v] by (1)
It shouldn't, but it makes Scratch a tiny bit slower, it's a bit more annoying to have to drag out two extra blocks, and some other programming languages have it

I don't really see any downside to having workaroundable blocks other than that they clutter up the block palette

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

DanFish wrote:

I hope there's a way to change the format back to the 2.0 format, while still keeping all the new blocks/features/etc. The new version looks too childish for me. (Yes, I know Scratch is for kids, but teenagers/adults use it too)
yeah, i'd like it too (since the 3.0 design seems to be pretty controversial)

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

What about

https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/

https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/develop/

or are they equally as slow?

Projects on Scratch won't normally have recursive custom blocks. But parity with Scratch 2.0 is expected of Scratch 3. Are there other situations where you're seeing a slow-down?
stymphalianbirb
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

truerealitys wrote:

Scratch 3.0 is slow, to the point where basic projects are unusable.
I tried running this very light project to test whether recursive custom blocks work.
It runs at about half the speed as scratch 2.0.
If you don't believe me, take a look: https://llk.github.io/scratch-vm/#138094831

I am in doubt of whether more intensive projects, even simple low-res raycasters will be playable in scratch 3.0.

Hi,

Scratch 3.0 is still in active development. The functionality, features, and performance you see now are not necessarily the final product. In the case of performance, we will be working on improving it.

When you do find differences in project behaviour in 2.0 vs. 3.0, it's useful to let us know - thanks for including the link. : )

Thanks.

- Julia

delete this clone
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

truerealitys wrote:

I tried running this very light project to test whether recursive custom blocks work.
If you don't believe me, take a look: https://llk.github.io/scratch-vm/#138094831

I am in doubt of whether more intensive projects, even simple low-res raycasters will be playable in scratch 3.0.
What browser are you using?

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

infinitytec wrote:

truerealitys wrote:

What browser are you using?
Yeah… That runs at a pretty good fps for me 30-37.
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 57.0, Flash 27.0 (release 0)
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

truerealitys wrote:

There is still a lot of optimization work to be done (particularly with custom blocks). Our goal is for 3.0 to be as fast or faster than 2.0. In many areas this is already true, but we still have quite a bit of time before release to iron out some of these kinks.
Neutronz
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

I wish there was an x button on the box where you choose the type of block (motion, looks, sound, etc.).

:)

StrawbostatGames
Scratcher
22 posts

Scratch 3.0

It'd be good to see
<key [ v] pressed for () secs>

SIGGYSIGGYSIGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!SIGSIGSIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THE GREATEST SIG THAT EVER HAS LIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I receive [kumquat security breach!!! v]
(O_O) Lord commander Jeff is is in charge of the anti-kumquat defence network
(o_o) Bob protects the eternal sig from the predations of the nascent kumquat empire
<-_->Randall is a master of disguise. He guards my secret stash of discuss tabs from evil kumquat mercenaries

join the 11/11! We will build a time machine that can only go back to dates with an 11 in them, then we will go back in time to 11:11 on the 11th of the 11th 1111 AND WE SHALL TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!! JOIN US!!!
AcousticGuy
Scratcher
87 posts

Scratch 3.0

I would like:

(cloud list :: list)

I think that would be cool. I know the problem with chatting and filters but I think you could figure it out!

You can click on one of my games or you can go HERE for a complete list!

NitroCipher
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

A new category has been added to the editor!

Not too big, but it is called “top” and it includes the following:

when gf clicked ::#FFD500

when [space v] key pressed ::#FFD500

when this sprite clicked ::#FFD500

move (10) steps ::#4C97FF

turn cw (15) degrees ::#4C97FF

play sound (meow v) until done ::#D65CD6

change [color v] effect by (1) ::#9966FF

repeat (10) ::#FFAB19
end

wait (1) secs ::#FFAB19

pick random (1) to (10) ::#40BF4A

I hope my post helped you in some way! Post count: 500+

Current project: [s3Blocks: scratchblocks rewritten for Scratch 3.0] ::#4b4a60 //https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/290031/ Basically done!
This is my signature identifier “aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=”
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

NitroCipher wrote:

end

Cool it'd be even cooler if it used statistics from the highest used blocks page to suggest which blocks should go there!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

TheUltimatum wrote:

NitroCipher wrote:

snip::grey
Cool it'd be even cooler if it used statistics from the highest used blocks page to suggest which blocks should go there!
or if the blocks were based off the blocks you use

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Sheep_maker wrote:

TheUltimatum wrote:

NitroCipher wrote:

snip::grey
or if the blocks were based off the blocks you use
Yes! That would be even better! What if you could pin a block to the top? That would be awesome!
Probs should move this to suggestions now. XD
NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

TheUltimatum wrote:

NitroCipher wrote:

end

I believe this list is based on that (or similar) data, tho I don't think they're planning on having it automatically update when that page changes