Discuss Scratch

NickyNouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

MinecraftM153 wrote:

Other than that, is there gonna be a dark theme for Scratch 3? Cause some people might me coding at night, and now YouTube has an official dark theme to support this issue.
Even if they don't, the new scratch is user-themeable
MinecraftM153
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

NickyNouse wrote:

MinecraftM153 wrote:

Other than that, is there gonna be a dark theme for Scratch 3? Cause some people might me coding at night, and now YouTube has an official dark theme to support this issue.
Even if they don't, the new scratch is user-themeable
huh

I like to make drawings move elsewhere, but on here I do mainly coding experiments. Check them out if you want!
pig9992005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Greenduck54 wrote:

So, is the new design for the Messages page (and what the Front Page has been for a long time now) what the 3.0 website's general design will be?
I really hope so!

HELLO PEOPLE!

I'm Pig! :)
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

MinecraftM153 wrote:

This would be neat, but I've seen one being mentioned periodically.

7500+ posts (19th)
Scratch137
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Support

Last edited by Scratch137 (Sept. 10, 2017 16:12:00)

kingof555
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Scratch137 wrote:

Support
it's not really a suggestion

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

The blocks are actually a good size for a phone.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

infinitytec wrote:

I agree but that doesn't mean that desktop users are all going to use their meaty thumbs to click blocks as well. I can just see a desktop with the cursor set as a large meary thumb.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

TheUltimatum wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

I agree but that doesn't mean that desktop users are all going to use their meaty thumbs to click blocks as well. I can just see a desktop with the cursor set as a large meary thumb.
I agree.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

Greenduck54 wrote:

So, is the new design for the Messages page (and what the Front Page has been for a long time now) what the 3.0 website's general design will be?
maybe the 3.0 website will have a discuss button :O
There will be no Scratch 3 new website. It will just be this website.
I think he is talking about the site's design.
ik. I guess. I hope there wont be anything from the old theme left
(this is late) I don't honestly like how everything else looks now that I'm used to the new design

Last edited by Greenduck54 (Sept. 11, 2017 21:33:46)

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
stymphalianbirb
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

TheUltimatum wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Lol. Now I am just going to picture this thumb cursor all the time… : )

delete this clone
kingof555
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

stymphalianbirb wrote:

TheUltimatum wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MAKE IT!!!

Last edited by kingof555 (Sept. 11, 2017 23:02:09)

AcousticGuy
Scratcher
87 posts

Scratch 3.0

I really hope that Scratch 3.0 has a lot more blocks. Another suggestion for the paint editor would be having way more fonts and RGB color selection. I just wanted to put my ideas here even though they will probably never change.

You can click on one of my games or you can go HERE for a complete list!

stymphalianbirb
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

kingof555 wrote:

stymphalianbirb wrote:

TheUltimatum wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MAKE IT!!!

Off topic, this should be in the Suggestions forum! ! !
/just kidding ; )

delete this clone
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Recently I've been working on making a text rendering engine in Scratch, and have run into a bit of an issue: It's impossible to detect whether a letter is capital or lowercase in any sort of simple way. (Check it out!) The current methods involve forcing particular costume names, or adding an obscene number of variables (plus some hacked blocks) to the project.

I'd rather avoid forcing users of my custom block to give their sprite's costumes weird names, and I don't want to use hacked blocks if I can help it (in accordance with the ST's own sugguestions!)

This has led me back to thinking about the wonderful new “contains” block in 3.0. Should the “contains” block be case-sensitive?

Currently it isn't, and there are a lot of great cases to be made for keeping it that way. Making the block case-insensitive keeps it consistent with the = block and helps new Scratchers avoid difficult-to-understand bugs (particularly, I would imagine, when using the “contains” block in conjunction with the “answer” block). However, I would really like to see this changed. Giving users a variety of options, rather than sticking to consistency between the = and “contains” blocks, would allow for more programs to be made more easily.

For instance, here is a case detection script written with a case-sensitive “contains” block:

if <[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ] contains (letter) ::operators> then
set [uppercase? v] to [true]
else
set [uppercase? v] to [false]
end

It's dead simple!

I understand that there are a lot of downsides to making the “contains” block case-sensitive, but there are also some considerable benefits. I'd be curious to know whether the Scratch team has already had a discussion about this, and what they think. (As well as the opinions of all of you fine folks here on the forums! )
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

PullJosh wrote:

Recently I've been working on making a text rendering engine in Scratch, and have run into a bit of an issue: It's impossible to detect whether a letter is capital or lowercase in any sort of simple way. (Check it out!) The current methods involve forcing particular costume names, or adding an obscene number of variables (plus some hacked blocks) to the project.

I'd rather avoid forcing users of my custom block to give their sprite's costumes weird names, and I don't want to use hacked blocks if I can help it (in accordance with the ST's own sugguestions!)

This has led me back to thinking about the wonderful new “contains” block in 3.0. Should the “contains” block be case-sensitive?

Currently it isn't, and there are a lot of great cases to be made for keeping it that way. Making the block case-insensitive keeps it consistent with the = block and helps new Scratchers avoid difficult-to-understand bugs (particularly, I would imagine, when using the “contains” block in conjunction with the “answer” block). However, I would really like to see this changed. Giving users a variety of options, rather than sticking to consistency between the = and “contains” blocks, would allow for more programs to be made more easily.

For instance, here is a case detection script written with a case-sensitive “contains” block:

if <[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ] contains (letter) ::operators> then
set [uppercase? v] to [true]
else
set [uppercase? v] to [false]
end

It's dead simple!

I understand that there are a lot of downsides to making the “contains” block case-sensitive, but there are also some considerable benefits. I'd be curious to know whether the Scratch team has already had a discussion about this, and what they think. (As well as the opinions of all of you fine folks here on the forums! )
No, but there should be these:
<case sensitive [] contains []? :: operators >

<case sensitive [] = [] :: operators >

Last edited by Charles12310 (Sept. 12, 2017 01:23:09)

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

another option for the boolean

<[] is capital? ::sensing>

some other threads
(should this be moved here?)
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

walkcycle wrote:

another option for the boolean

<[] is capital? ::sensing>
I like this block, but the naming is ambiguous:
<[happiness] is capital? ::sensing>
<[UPPERlower] is capital? ::sensing>
<[123] is capital? ::sensing>
<[._.] is capital? ::sensing>

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

How about… You just right-click something, and set it to “case-sensitive” using a drop-down… Then, a dot appears next to the block, showing that it's case-sensitive?

For example…
<[] contains []? :: operators> // Not Case-Sensitive

<[] contains []? • :: operators> // Case-Sensitive

Last edited by WolfCat67 (Sept. 12, 2017 03:23:09)

TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

PullJosh wrote:

-snippety snip-
I agree. WolfCat has a great idea as well. His makes more sense from a UI/UX perspective though.