Discuss Scratch

SuperRedCoder
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

GamingChater wrote:

scratchyone wrote:

I don't like the “cute”, scratchJr style blocks. I like the complex shapes, and shadows scratch 2.0 has.
Ya i also dont like this style its really bad.

Agreed.

From: SuperRedCoder, a fellow scratcher. Have a nice day!

Love food? Really?

—– https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/160612248/ —–

It awaits your click.

#bring_it_back
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

SuperRedCoder wrote:

GamingChater wrote:

scratchyone wrote:

I don't like the “cute”, scratchJr style blocks. I like the complex shapes, and shadows scratch 2.0 has.

Agreed.
I don't just have an issue with the padding, but the style as well. The blocks look too childish, which, as many have shown before, actually DETERS children from using it. If it looks more like an adult tool, children will feel like it's more of a challenge even though there's no difference, and thus will enjoy it more. Kids are always interested in what older people use, after all.

Also the colours are ugly. Just throwing it out there.

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

WolfCat67 wrote:

I think, to actually be constructive and helpful, you'd need to clarify that. Just saying “they're ugly” makes it really difficult to see why they're ugly, and how to improve them.

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

_nix wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

I think, to actually be constructive and helpful, you'd need to clarify that. Just saying “they're ugly” makes it really difficult to see why they're ugly, and how to improve them.
Yes.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

TheUltimatum wrote:

_nix wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

Yes.
How to improve colour? Change them?
In all seriousness, though, I like the 2.0 colours better. Unfortunately with the new ones, there seems to be an excessive amount of orange for my taste. I'm not the biggest fan of orange, so seeing it EVERYWHERE is extremely annoying. If it were on only a few blocks (just variables) like in 2.0, then it would be fine, as there'd be a bit more variety. But now, control, events, AND variables all have an orange-y kind of colour to them.

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

WolfCat67 wrote:

In all seriousness, though, I like the 2.0 colours better. Unfortunately with the new ones, there seems to be an excessive amount of orange for my taste. I'm not the biggest fan of orange, so seeing it EVERYWHERE is extremely annoying. If it were on only a few blocks (just variables) like in 2.0, then it would be fine, as there'd be a bit more variety. But now, control, events, AND variables all have an orange-y kind of colour to them.
This discussion might be relevant: https://github.com/LLK/scratch-blocks/issues/995

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

There is a language selector on /develop now.
It doesn't seem to be functional yet.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

I feel like the sensing blocks are not matching the rest of the color scheme well.

7500+ posts (19th)
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

WolfCat67 wrote:

The blocks look too childish, which, as many have shown before, actually DETERS children from using it. If it looks more like an adult tool, children will feel like it's more of a challenge even though there's no difference, and thus will enjoy it more. Kids are always interested in what older people use, after all.
I don't agree, I would expect the more skeuomorphic design of Scratch 2.0's blocks makes it easier for children to see the resemblance to lego bricks. And there's more contrast between the scripts and background in Scratch 2.0 so it's a bit easier to look at.

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
ninjagolloyd
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Jonathan50 wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

The blocks look too childish, which, as many have shown before, actually DETERS children from using it. If it looks more like an adult tool, children will feel like it's more of a challenge even though there's no difference, and thus will enjoy it more. Kids are always interested in what older people use, after all.
I don't agree, I would expect the more skeuomorphic design of Scratch 2.0's blocks makes it easier for children to see the resemblance to lego bricks. And there's more contrast between the scripts and background in Scratch 2.0 so it's a bit easier to look at.
I think you do agree, reread that

bean
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

ninjagolloyd wrote:

I think you do agree, reread that
No, I don't agree that it looks more childish and I don't agree that looking more childish is a bad thing

ninjagolloyd
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Am I the only one who likes the flat, bright design? It looks simpler and more modern. The shadows from 1.x and 2.0 seem a little… old. like windows 98 theme. I like the smoother, more modern feel of 3.0

bean
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

ninjagolloyd wrote:

Am I the only one who likes the flat, bright design? It looks simpler and more modern. The shadows from 1.x and 2.0 seem a little… old. like windows 98 theme. I like the smoother, more modern feel of 3.0
I'm with you on that.
Although I would like to see an option to make the blocks shorter (off by default to make it easy for touchscreen users) and have no rounded stage corners.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
scratchnic2008
Scratcher
46 posts

Scratch 3.0

I've got one question about Scratch 3.0. Is this new ‘Cosmicat’ design going to be used as the new Scratch cat for Scratch 3.0?
This is what he/she looks like:
MinecraftM153
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

scratchnic2008 wrote:

I've got one question about Scratch 3.0. Is this new ‘Cosmicat’ design going to be used as the new Scratch cat for Scratch 3.0?
This is what he/she looks like:
Problably just a variation of Scratch Cat.

In short, probably not. That Scratch Cat looks kinda bad.

I like to make drawings move elsewhere, but on here I do mainly coding experiments. Check them out if you want!
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

MinecraftM153 wrote:

That Scratch Cat looks kinda bad.
Cosmicat is sad

MinecraftM153
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Jonathan50 wrote:

MinecraftM153 wrote:

Cosmicat is sad
Let's just take him as… Scratch Cat's brother?

sad airhorn plays

I like to make drawings move elsewhere, but on here I do mainly coding experiments. Check them out if you want!
GamingChater
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 3.0

WolfCat67 wrote:

SuperRedCoder wrote:

GamingChater wrote:

scratchyone wrote:

Agreed.
I don't just have an issue with the padding, but the style as well. The blocks look too childish, which, as many have shown before, actually DETERS children from using it. If it looks more like an adult tool, children will feel like it's more of a challenge even though there's no difference, and thus will enjoy it more. Kids are always interested in what older people use, after all.

i am 9 yrs old and i dont like it.
StrawbostatGames
Scratcher
22 posts

Scratch 3.0

scratchyone wrote:

Me too. It's like stepping backwards… 1.0 blocks=good 2.0 blocks=great! 3.0 blocks=SAY WHUT? Also, the horizontal code is just confusing…
when green flag clicked
forever
if <[scratch 2.0] = [neato]> then
broadcast [stick with 2.0 v]

else
broadcast [change to 3.0 v]
when green flag clicked
forever
set [scratch 2.0 v] to [neato]

end

SIGGYSIGGYSIGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!SIGSIGSIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THE GREATEST SIG THAT EVER HAS LIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I receive [kumquat security breach!!! v]
(O_O) Lord commander Jeff is is in charge of the anti-kumquat defence network
(o_o) Bob protects the eternal sig from the predations of the nascent kumquat empire
<-_->Randall is a master of disguise. He guards my secret stash of discuss tabs from evil kumquat mercenaries

join the 11/11! We will build a time machine that can only go back to dates with an 11 in them, then we will go back in time to 11:11 on the 11th of the 11th 1111 AND WE SHALL TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!! JOIN US!!!
MinecraftM153
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Jonathan50 wrote:

MinecraftM153 wrote:

Cosmicat is sad
OH WAIT I DIDN'T MEAN THAT