Discuss Scratch

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Programming Weekly -- Scratch and Technology News!

jkl0l wrote:

jkl0l wrote:

Hey, can I do an article on types of programming and how they're used? Please?
*Ahem*
Oh, sorry! Yes, you may.

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Welcome!
What should I do now? xD
Hmm… Your job gives me an idea. Do you know how to code CSS?
Yes!

cheeseeater wrote:

We need to start using these
He/She has a really cool idea!
Maybe you could do tutorials on CSS, then?

cheeseeater wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Welcome!
What should I do now? xD
Yes!

cheeseeater wrote:

We need to start using these
He/She has a really cool idea!
That's why I'm going to write an article about them!

BTW: @Surge - When do you think we have enough articles to publish the first paper?
I think we should work on the articles for now, and publish it on New Year's Eve as a sort of kick-off for the new year.

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

Surge is my imaginary husband - he's the guy in my icon!
jkl0l
Scratcher
500+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

I think we should work on the articles for now, and publish it on New Year's Eve as a sort of kick-off for the new year.
Awesome idea! I'll start my article.

This made me cry. NO!!! NOT THE BOW TIE!!!
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

Great idea! I think you might need to put the articles we've done onto a project now. Then if it's all done, we can just release the project on the day. At Christmas, I will be less active. I won't be on Scratch on new years eve too. (Just telling you, in case you think I've gone inactive!)
wbpx9201
Scratcher
100+ posts

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): wb, wbpx
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): 9
Job(s) you would like to have: Reporter
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: Yes.
Tell us a bit about yourself: I like gaming and programming. I started Scratch almost half a year ago and I'm learning Python in Codecademy.

MagicSparkle
Scratcher
13 posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Welcome!
What should I do now? xD
Yes!
Maybe you could do tutorials on CSS, then?

Sure! Do you mean a tutorial article? This is Rumanti by the way.

A test account of Rumanti
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicSparkle wrote:

This is Rumanti by the way.
Nope, she's lying. Just kidding. It is my alternate account. Can you update the member list now?

:wq
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

wbpx9201 wrote:

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): wb, wbpx
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): 9
Job(s) you would like to have: Reporter
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: Yes.
Tell us a bit about yourself: I like gaming and programming. I started Scratch almost half a year ago and I'm learning Python in Codecademy.
Welcome!
@Rumanti – Yes, if you would like. :3 And I will do.

Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

MagicSparkle
Scratcher
13 posts

@StarscreamClone: I just finished my version of ProgrammingWeekly interface.

A test account of Rumanti
Lord_Starscream
Scratcher
7 posts

Hello, Surge. Thanks for the profile image.
You still aren't off the hook.

Yes, I'm Starscream, 1st Lieutenant of the Decepticons. I'll answer any questions you may have, I suppose…
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lord_Starscream wrote:

Are you StarscreamClone? *gasp*
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Lord_Starscream wrote:

Nah, Screamy.

@Scream – Yeah. No problem.

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

Lord_Starscream wrote:

Nah, Screamy.

@Scream – Yeah. No problem.
lol! Sorry!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is the first part of the CSS tutorial. I predicted that the tutorial would be awfully long, and it would be hard to place all of them in one issue. I suggested to break tutorials into some parts, and put the different parts in different issues?

CSS : Make your website beautiful! Part 1 : Getting Started

What is CSS?
Do you know CSS? It stands for Cascading Style Sheets. With CSS, you can control how your website looks. (e.g. Make the heading red!) CSS is a style sheet language. With CSS, you could control the look of multiple elements at once. CSS is easy to learn, and is not too complicated!

All CSS code is placed in a CSS file type (.css) or in HTML, between the style tags (<style></style>) You could also add a CSS file to your HTML by adding this tag to your HTML:
<link href="awesome.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
Replace “awesome.css” with your CSS file name.

Why CSS?
Long ago, before CSS were invented, developers write all the styles on every elements one by one. What if suddenly, they need to change all the “home” buttons from the color blue to the color red? And there's hundreds of pages to edit… It would be a nightmare.
CSS solves it! With CSS, you could just change the colors of all the webpages, all the elements that needs it, with a single code! Practical, isn't it? :D
To be continued…

Also, look at it. We used a lot of [code] and bold texts. We're going to put the articles in a project, right? The paint editor don't support bold texts. We could make the bold texts capitals and the normal texts, well, just like another text. And I could make a design for the [code] texts. What do you all think?

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Awww! Your CSS article could have really helped with our website I was making! I was hosting it on a Raspberry Pi, without proper security. So unfortunately I read my web-stats and found a scanner had been searching it for faults. But that's another story. (lolololol - I've always wanted to say that!)

BTW: It's Christmas day in England, like, now!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Awww! Your CSS article could have really helped with our website I was making! I was hosting it on a Raspberry Pi, without proper security. So unfortunately I read my web-stats and found a scanner had been searching it for faults. But that's another story. (lolololol - I've always wanted to say that!)

What happened to the website? By the way, it is already Christmas in Indonesia too… Merry Christmas!

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

What happened to the website? By the way, it is already Christmas in Indonesia too… Merry Christmas!
This scanner, with a rude name was looking in my site for faults. I then I realise the the URL would not work. I could only connet via the server's IP address. I tryed updating the DNS stuff, but it still would not work. I think it might have been the scanner that did that, as when browsing though my Raspberry Pi's file system I found a file that the Pi and myself did not recognise. I tryed to delete it, but It would not budge! I used the Super User (the user that can do serious damage) to try and get rid of it, but it still would not move. But what gave away that that may have been something nasty was that the file was in the hosting/public folder… I decided to shut it down, as I didn't want anything getting nasty of doing something to my LAN. <— I think I could become a writer! lolololol!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

This scanner, with a rude name was looking in my site for faults. I then I realise the the URL would not work. I could only connet via the server's IP address. I tryed updating the DNS stuff, but it still would not work. I think it might have been the scanner that did that, as when browsing though my Raspberry Pi's file system I found a file that the Pi and myself did not recognise. I tryed to delete it, but It would not budge! I used the Super User (the user that can do serious damage) to try and get rid of it, but it still would not move. But what gave away that that may have been something nasty was that the file was in the hosting/public folder… I decided to shut it down, as I didn't want anything getting nasty of doing something to my LAN. <— I think I could become a writer! lolololol!
Aww, I don't have any understanding of Raspberry Pi.

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

We may be better off with starting small and having the site hosted (I think Weebly is reliable , and I've used Go Daddy before, but that costs money).
@Rumanti – Excellent~!

Okay, guys, since it's a holiday, feel free to get festive and go a little off topic if you want. :3

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

Okay, guys, since it's a holiday, feel free to get festive and go a little off topic if you want. :3
Off topic? O.O

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Off topic? O.O
Not too bad, okay? XD I've done this for another collab. We can get back in focus pretty quickly.