Discuss Scratch

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Programming Weekly -- Scratch and Technology News!

cheeseeater wrote:

Well guess what guys?! It's online! http://programmingweekly.raspctl.com/ With NO www. I think it's because no one really uses www. anymore so they didn't use it on out site. With www. it won't work. The site by me is temporary, as I think Surge is making a better one. I know there are some bugs with the site as on this page the Raspberry Pi host link does not go anywhere. That page is not made yet. The site should be up most of the time but there probably will be, power fails, maintainance on the Pi, slow connection (the cheeseeater house's TV likes to stream football! ) and sometimes the router will be off (if on holiday) and at night (nightime scratching is not a good idea). Lol, it seems like a long list, but those don't happen often (apart from the football). Lol, i'm quite please with myself. This like this don't go right often! Thanks Programming Weekly for the amazing oppertunety! (<— Ouch! My spelling is bad!)

BTW: Please, please, please tell me if something is not working as it should, or I need to update. If you can use HTML and you have cool ideas (not a live HD film streaming) about what I could add/take away, I'll take the tips. After all, it's the whole collab's site!
Excellent work, Cheese. I will look at it when I have the opportunity.

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

Surge is my imaginary husband - he's the guy in my icon!
jkl0l
Scratcher
500+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Well guess what guys?! It's online! http://programmingweekly.raspctl.com/ With NO www. I think it's because no one really uses www. anymore so they didn't use it on out site. With www. it won't work. The site by me is temporary, as I think Surge is making a better one. I know there are some bugs with the site as on this page the Raspberry Pi host link does not go anywhere. That page is not made yet. The site should be up most of the time but there probably will be, power fails, maintainance on the Pi, slow connection (the cheeseeater house's TV likes to stream football! ) and sometimes the router will be off (if on holiday) and at night (nightime scratching is not a good idea). Lol, it seems like a long list, but those don't happen often (apart from the football). Lol, i'm quite please with myself. This like this don't go right often! Thanks Programming Weekly for the amazing oppertunety! (<— Ouch! My spelling is bad!)

BTW: Please, please, please tell me if something is not working as it should, or I need to update. If you can use HTML and you have cool ideas (not a live HD film streaming) about what I could add/take away, I'll take the tips. After all, it's the whole collab's site!
D: It's not working on my computer. My computer can't connect to the server.

This made me cry. NO!!! NOT THE BOW TIE!!!
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@SCC Thanks!
@jkl0l What time did you try and get on? My Pi stays on all night, but the router switches of late at night, and comes back on
early in the morning. It might be that you tryed to get on when the router was off. Though maybe if you live in another country to me
you can't connect for some reason only know to people who know what they are doing?
I'll look into it, and see if there is a bug to step on!
TheGeek56
Scratcher
100+ posts

It works~!
Need some help with the layout and design though? xP

logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

Sorry about the last collab I was helping with over the summer - I had a bit of a problem so have been inactive with Scratch. But I'm back now and ready to help again!

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): logi, logiblocs etc.
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): Now hopefuly a 7
Job(s) you would like to have: Programmer, reader designer, tutorial writer (main) writer, editor, music picker (secondary)
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: I do
Tell us a bit about yourself: I'm a Scratcher who is decent at programing, have a passion for coding and technology. I'd love to help design an even more full-featured reader than my SW one with even more cool features and navigation and design! I'd also love to write tutorials to programming languages that I love (such as ruby).

I hope this collab can survive and prosper as a successful one.

New sig WIP
logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

I can also design a ruby on rails app to act as an editor hub and CMS if there is a need for that to run on your pi (if you want).

New sig WIP
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@The_Geek: Yay! Yep, I do need help!
@logiblocs: Great that your back on Scratch! Your idea interests me, could you explain what Ruby on rails is, and how it
would work?

Thanks, cheese
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Design a Fave Icon!
Yep! I now know how to make a fave icon on our site (a fave icon is the little icon next to the URL).
At the moment it's just an odd icon of a folder that came default with Apache web server. I'm rubbish at art, so I'm going
to ask anyone who want to to design an icon.

It must have/be:
.gif or .png format.
Be the same size as the scratch fave icon.
Not be animated.
Be something to do with the collab.

@Surge: Would you like to be judge?
logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

Ok cheeseater, ruby on rails is a web framework which I know. Its just a way of developing a web application - it's similar to Django which Scratch runs on. I have a better idea though, if you already have php set up on your pi we can set up Drupal - It's a CMS (content management system) like wordpress but more suited to collaboration - we could share articles so that we can edit each others for proofreading - If you only have apache set up on your pi adding php support is not too dificult - you just have to apt-get install a couple of packages.

On another topic, I'm working on an interface now - I'm thinking we have colour-coding for sectons - Blue for programming news, orange for scratch, green for tutorials, yellow for commics, purple for fiction etc. Does that sound good? Also, what kind of features do you think I should include. I'm basing it off SC's but with a slightly different underlying code that should make it more extendible.

New sig WIP
logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

Interface first draft. Check the project notes for how to used and what will be implemented. Let me know here or as a comment if there's anything else to add apart from the stuff that I'd say I'd do. Starscream, it uses your idea but the scripts are more simmilar to my SW one back in August. I hope you like it

New sig WIP
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

logiblocs wrote:

Ok cheeseater, ruby on rails is a web framework which I know. Its just a way of developing a web application - it's similar to Django which Scratch runs on. I have a better idea though, if you already have php set up on your pi we can set up Drupal - It's a CMS (content management system) like wordpress but more suited to collaboration - we could share articles so that we can edit each others for proofreading - If you only have apache set up on your pi adding php support is not too dificult - you just have to apt-get install a couple of packages.
Yep, I've got php! I have Apache2 and Mysql if that helps. Does it involve installing anything, or is it all on the web?
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

logiblocs wrote:

Sorry about the last collab I was helping with over the summer - I had a bit of a problem so have been inactive with Scratch. But I'm back now and ready to help again!

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): logi, logiblocs etc.
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): Now hopefuly a 7
Job(s) you would like to have: Programmer, reader designer, tutorial writer (main) writer, editor, music picker (secondary)
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: I do
Tell us a bit about yourself: I'm a Scratcher who is decent at programing, have a passion for coding and technology. I'd love to help design an even more full-featured reader than my SW one with even more cool features and navigation and design! I'd also love to write tutorials to programming languages that I love (such as ruby).

I hope this collab can survive and prosper as a successful one.
Welcome to the team! And I'll take a look at your interface (the one I did is on the ProgrammingWeekly account if you want to see it), and we'll see how things go.

Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

@cheeseater - Well to get drupal you need to download it and extract it to your pi - you also need to set up the mysql - but with all that set up it should be easy. Though TBH I think wordpress would be easier for more people to understand. You still need to set up the database and everything - this should help. You don't need to its just a nice idea. You should also go find a theme that you like here. If you need any more help ask me - I've done it before.

@Surge Thanks - I tried to base my interface kinda after yours when I did it - theres a few things that are changed. If you don't like the way the new interface looks that's fine - if you want I can add the bits you like to yours. Also, what articles are you looking for - How about a tutorial for getting started in ruby?

New sig WIP
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A tutorial for Ruby sounds just fine, and I think the only things I'd change in your version are the icons and the title page, but otherwise I like it!

logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

Ok I'll fix that and try to write the article today.

New sig WIP
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@logiblocs: Ok, I'll look into it a bit more first. It's a great idea, but I think that I should get the hang of running the
server first. As a old saying goes “Don't try and run before you can walk”!
jkl0l
Scratcher
500+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

@SCC Thanks!
@jkl0l What time did you try and get on? My Pi stays on all night, but the router switches of late at night, and comes back on
early in the morning. It might be that you tryed to get on when the router was off. Though maybe if you live in another country to me
you can't connect for some reason only know to people who know what they are doing?
I'll look into it, and see if there is a bug to step on!
WOO! I LOVE SQUISHING TEH BUGGIES. I live in the united states, East coast. I'll try again.

This made me cry. NO!!! NOT THE BOW TIE!!!
logiblocs
Scratcher
57 posts

@cheese sorry I was being rather over-excited. Hoever, setting up wordpress is a good skill to know when running a server - but of course learn how to do html first :}

@SC new version up - it has got a contents button, updated icons and front page and music support. I'll do you the tutorial tomorrow. I copied the frontpage from your interface and have used nicer looking buttons.The contents page has links to all of the articles (you just dupe the button and edit the page number in the script). Also it has a quicklink to the comic and we can add more common features as buttons. I hope this looks a bit more like what you wanted. Again, if you find a bug or any new feature/fix just let me know.

New sig WIP
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Shorted url, so better to remember: http://tiny.cc/Pro-Weekly

Also just for fun, an QR code!
anguz110
Scratcher
46 posts

Read my comment in the studio.

Ample parking day or night, people spouting HOWDY NEIGHBOR!