Discuss Scratch

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Programming Weekly -- Scratch and Technology News!

StarscreamClone wrote:

Epic!

Actually, we can get started today with articles and such if you guys want.

ALSO, we should start working on a new template for this. I got inspired by thejuki's update projects, so we could do something along those lines.
K! I'll get writing a Raspberry Pi article.
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Epic!

ALSO, we should start working on a new template for this. I got inspired by thejuki's update projects, so we could do something along those lines.
Awesome! Thanks, Cheese!

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

Surge is my imaginary husband - he's the guy in my icon!
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Epic!

Awesome! Thanks, Cheese!
No problem, Surge! (That's still your nickname, right?)
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yesh, it is. :3 But don't tell Surge that. He'll say it's identity theft.
Surge: “Well it IS!”

Okay, so what we'll need this issue:
- The usual game review (which doesn't necessarily have to be a Scratch game)
- Any Scratch updates (not much)
- Raspberry Pi article

And then anything else that can be come up with. I'll do a report for Portal Wars, and a brief one on Codecademy.

Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

TheGeek56
Scratcher
100+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

Epic!

Since minecraft is such an obsession these days should we do some posts showcasing servers, mods, and updates?

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheGeek56 wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

Epic!

Since minecraft is such an obsession these days should we do some posts showcasing servers, mods, and updates?
Yeah, sure!

wolves4ever10
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oooh, reminds me of msdn magazines. I love them.
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

wolves4ever10 wrote:

Oh, what is that? :3

wolves4ever10
Scratcher
100+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

wolves4ever10 wrote:

Oh, what is that? :3

“The microsoft journal for developers”

MSDN Magazine
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm going to write all the Pi articles from scratch! Publisher note: You might want to note that some info is only correct in the UK.
The Raspberry Pi
You've probably heard of the Raspberry Pi, well, you should have because it's been all over the news latey. It's now quite famous, it's been on the BBC, and in papers! But what is this Raspberry Pi?

What is this Raspberry Pi?

A Raspberry Pi (often refered to a a Pi) is a credit card size computer, don't laugh, there is an extreme amound of things you can do with it! It has a HDMI and RCA video output sockets, so plugs in easyly to TV's! It depends what modle you get (We are talking about B) but it also comes with a LAN socket and two USB sockets. It also comes with GPIO pins, that allows you to connect LEDs, sensors and that kind of stuff. You can then control them using Python, Scratch and other things too! Model A is the basic model, perfect if you want to build a tablet Pi that does not need the extra things. Model B is best for desktop use.

What's It's purpose?

I take this off the raspberrypi.org website: "The idea behind a tiny and cheap computer for kids came in 2006, when Eben Upton, Rob Mullins, Jack Lang and Alan Mycroft, based at the University of Cambridge’s Computer Laboratory, became concerned about the year-on-year decline in the numbers and skills levels of the A Level students applying to read Computer Science. From a situation in the 1990s where most of the kids applying were coming to interview as experienced hobbyist programmers, the landscape in the 2000s was very different; a typical applicant might only have done a little web design." This was mostly because of the ICT curriculum teaching children Word, Publisher and most of the Microsoft Office software. Children were not getting to see the actual side behind the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Thus not knowing what computer actualy were, and how they worked.

So how does it make you learn?

Well, when you install Raspbian, (The recomended OS for the Pi) it comes loaded with Scratch, and Python. Both great easy-to-learn programming langages for children. You can also use a CLI (Command Line Interface) as well as a GUI (Graphical User Interface). This is helpfull for installing software, and completing important tasks.

Sounds awesome! Though it probably cost loads!

Not at all! Model B, on Amazon cost only £28.95 or $46.38! A only costs $25, or £15.60. NOTE: Prices may be subject to change! The prices given were converted in a converter as the Pi website don't seem to give a GBP price!

I've now got one and I want to know more!

Fear not, because Programming Weekly will be writing an awesome article every publication! And also if you are feeling really awesome, and you can wait till next issue, then read though all the Magpi issues! (www.themagpi.com)

Written by cheeseeater

Last edited by cheeseeater (Nov. 10, 2013 08:43:14)

Lythium
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think I'll do a Game review for Terraria.
Also, I'll try making a new sig.

Lythium
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Here we are!

[img]http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/dsaztur/ProgrammingWeekly_zpscf65e40f.gif[/img]

TheGeek56
Scratcher
100+ posts

Amazingness

jkl0l
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lythium wrote:

Here we are!

[img]http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/dsaztur/ProgrammingWeekly_zpscf65e40f.gif[/img]
Whoa…. Three amazing GIFS in one post. I like your current siggy. WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT!??!

This made me cry. NO!!! NOT THE BOW TIE!!!
Lythium
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lythium wrote:

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): Reaction
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): 7
Job(s) you would like to have: Reporter, Artist
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: Obviously
Tell us a bit about yourself: See my ‘Home’ project.
Can I join as a cartoonist too??

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lythium wrote:

Here we are!

Awesome GIF!
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@Reaction: Yes, you can, and my PRIME that is boss.
@Cheese: Looks good!

Agg725
Scratcher
100+ posts

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): Agg725, AGG, and Angela are all fine
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): 7 to 8. I'm not the most active but I try to check up on things at least once a day.
Job(s) you would like to have: spell checker
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: of course
Tell us a bit about yourself: Well, even though I am only twelve I have worked for numerous newspapers before. I founded the “Scratch Times” and worked for the “Scratch Chatter”, both of which were in 1.4. Also, around that time I wrote my own newspaper each week at my school.more recently, in 2.0, I have worked for “Scratchin' Weekly” and still work for “ScratchPress”. I never seem to get away from journalism for too long.

StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Agg725 wrote:

Name you would like to be called as (ex. StarscreamClone would be Surge or Starscream): Agg725, AGG, and Angela are all fine
Activity level on Scratch (on a scale of 1 to 10): 7 to 8. I'm not the most active but I try to check up on things at least once a day.
Job(s) you would like to have: spell checker
Do you promise to adhere to the rules above?: of course
Tell us a bit about yourself: Well, even though I am only twelve I have worked for numerous newspapers before. I founded the “Scratch Times” and worked for the “Scratch Chatter”, both of which were in 1.4. Also, around that time I wrote my own newspaper each week at my school.more recently, in 2.0, I have worked for “Scratchin' Weekly” and still work for “ScratchPress”. I never seem to get away from journalism for too long.
Welcome to the team, Angela!

Alright guys, we have our fifth member, so anyone who wants to run for deputy may start their speeches now! Voting starts Friday and ends Sunday.

Agg725
Scratcher
100+ posts

When you say technology, what exactly do you mean? I'm just asking because I think I can find some stories for this paper