Discuss Scratch

monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A Series Of Unfortunate Events!

I've watched all the episodes of the show that have come out so far but I might read the books after.

(Swallowed by an evil kumquat who was just taking a walk in the neighborhood of evil kumquats when they saw a garage sale where they bought a plate which they used to eat but they discovered that it leaked and they went to get their money back but the sale was over so they went in the house but the door was locked so they got their key but it didn't fit so they went home to use the key on the right door which was their own door and then they decided to swallow a signature for no reason.)
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CellularData wrote:

PecanPi314 wrote:

It follows the books very closely.
I have never heard something more incorrect, and I have been told a lot of wrong things.

The Netflix series doesn't come CLOSE to following the books. I mean, yeah, you've got some of the exact same jokes (He found himself reading the same sentence over and over. He found himself reading the same sentence over and over.) but so much is different. That little telescope thingy? I never remember that existing in the book. Also, the statue in the end of the Reptile Room? WHAT WAS THAT? That wasn't in the book!!! They had no idea if Josephine was going to tell them information in the book, while in the Netflix thing, a STATUE told them, “Hey, your Aunt Josephine is going to tell you a bunch of stuff about your parents.” Maybe I forgot something that was in the book, but it seems pretty clear that the Netflix series is taking a different route (although I read online that it would end up in the same place eventually.)
Minor details like statues and telescopes don't make a book not even ‘close to following the books’.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

I haven't seen where they're taking it though, and it seems like it's going to be a major detail later, considering how much the telescope has been seen.

Also, is anyone else noticing the fact that when possible, they're making things start with the letters VFD? Just look it up - there are plenty of hidden VFD references in there… Even the actual words “volunteer fire department” being said at one point.

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

favorite quote: “A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.”
star sign: cancer
Pippy7
Scratcher
65 posts

I have read the whole series. It is my all-time favourite book series, and hopefully it will be forever. I love it so much!

Check out this link for fun games and projects!
https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Pippy7/
Pippy7
Scratcher
65 posts

monstermash3 wrote:

I've watched all the episodes of the show that have come out so far but I might read the books after.

I've seen all the eps on the show too! I've read the whole series by the way.

Pippy7
Scratcher
65 posts

Guys they have a secret website. The link is here: http://veryflammabledandelions.com
It's another VFD Reference!

jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CellularData wrote:

I haven't seen where they're taking it though, and it seems like it's going to be a major detail later, considering how much the telescope has been seen.

Also, is anyone else noticing the fact that when possible, they're making things start with the letters VFD? Just look it up - there are plenty of hidden VFD references in there… Even the actual words “volunteer fire department” being said at one point.
There are lots of VFD references in the books too. They just start a little later.

CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

jji10 wrote:

CellularData wrote:

There are lots of VFD references in the books too. They just start a little later.
I might re-read the books, I forgot most of what happened in the last 5 or so

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

favorite quote: “A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.”
SuperTurkey
Scratcher
20 posts

I love the show but my friend says the books are bad so I don't know if I should read it.
CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

SuperTurkey wrote:

I love the show but my friend says the books are bad so I don't know if I should read it.
They aren't

It makes the netflix series more interesting if you've read the books

jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CellularData wrote:

SuperTurkey wrote:

They aren't

It makes the netflix series more interesting if you've read the books
This. So much this. I have a few friends that haven't read all the books and they didn't get many/any of the references so they didn't really like the Netflix show.

hypermarvelfan99
Scratcher
57 posts

jji10 wrote:

CellularData wrote:

I think they're trying to introduce the idea of VFD earlier than in the books.

Want a laugh? THEN CLICK BELOW.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/70003554/
THE FANTASTIC FOUR RULES!
Smile vault :
PIANISTWARRIOR
Scratcher
35 posts

I love A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I have read all of the books, watched the movie, and watched the Netflix T.V. show of it!

Here are some projects that I made with Hoppel_Rabbit6024!

One Ring Studio
PIANISTWARRIOR
Scratcher
35 posts

I REALLY like those books!
when green flag clicked
say [J like it!!!!]

Here are some projects that I made with Hoppel_Rabbit6024!

One Ring Studio
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hypermarvelfan99 wrote:

jji10 wrote:

CellularData wrote:

I think they're trying to introduce the idea of VFD earlier than in the books.
Yeah.

PecanPi314
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm excited for January 2018, when the second season of the Netflix series comes out

in west philadelphia born and raised

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is a very good series. I've just finished the first book (The Bad Beginning), and I've also watched what's so far of the Netflix series. The show did a very good job of portraying the book and still keeps just about everything in it.. unlike many movie/show versions of books.
Of course, the Netflix series only goes to the fourth book (The Miserable Mill), so that's about all I know so far. I have heard they're working on season 2 though.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SuperTurkey wrote:

No, the books are still really pretty good. They're actually almost exactly like the show and still have the “dark humor”, “narrative”, and “descriptive” elements.. and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like reading all that much
I actually have all the books at my house..

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
SuperTurkey
Scratcher
20 posts

PecanPi314 wrote:

I'm excited for January 2018, when the second season of the Netflix series comes out
Me too!
CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

PecanPi314 wrote:

oh, it does?
ok

LionHeart70 wrote:

This is a very good series. I've just finished the first book (The Bad Beginning), and I've also watched what's so far of the Netflix series. The show did a very good job of portraying the book and still keeps just about everything in it.. unlike many movie/show versions of books.
Of course, the Netflix series only goes to the fourth book (The Miserable Mill), so that's about all I know so far. I have heard they're working on season 2 though.
yeah, it really did - i still remember some exact lines from the book lining up exactly with the way they were said in the series. however, *spoilers ahead* they really shouldn't have brought vfd in so soon, the constant nods to it as well as the telescope thing