Discuss Scratch

kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Jonathan50 wrote:

You could change IF to IF THEN to match Scratch 2.0.
+1

post brought to you by the preview links bug and the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

eribetra
Scratcher
100+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

eribetra wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

eribetra wrote:

Also, can you pass the link to the NuScratch you're using? (it needs to be the NuScratch .image, now the Whiskers one) Because every version of NuScratch running on Squeak 5.1 shows up an error about fonts.
I used Monticello to install NuScratch on a fresh Squeak 5.0 image. If you want me to, I can create an image for you to use with only NuScratch on it, which would include the sources and changes file.

Ok! I would like that! (I will give credit to you and Tim)

If you can convert an .image file, it's even better: ericdutra.com/blockode.html

(Sorry for advertising)

Alright, here's the download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9SUd0djdycE1SZDg
Please note, though, that this build is unofficial and does not include GPIO extensions. Also, when saving for the end-user, it will create a new image file called NuScratch{current date}.image. You can rename that file after saving it.

Thank you! I will test it!

Since my mod has a few blocks, I can code everything easily.

(Fun Fact: I remember the website, downloading Whiskers and using it to import a Scratch 2.0 file. Good times…)

Check out Blockode, the most recent Scratch 1.4 mod!
Also check out Five Nights at eribetra:
eribetra
Scratcher
100+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Wow! It's working better than I expected!

Check out Blockode, the most recent Scratch 1.4 mod!
Also check out Five Nights at eribetra:
eribetra
Scratcher
100+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Actually, NuScratch isn't working well… It's switching arrow Keys in Scratch projects, but when I try making code on Nu, it works! (the coding is perfectly fine)

Last edited by eribetra (July 16, 2017 11:06:28)


Check out Blockode, the most recent Scratch 1.4 mod!
Also check out Five Nights at eribetra:
eribetra
Scratcher
100+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Also, when saving for the end-user, it will create a new image file called NuScratch{current date}.image. You can rename that file after saving it.

Wait, saving for end-user? How do you do that? The only thing that appears on the World menu is save, save as, and save as new version.

Nothing about saving on the file menu.

Check out Blockode, the most recent Scratch 1.4 mod!
Also check out Five Nights at eribetra:
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

eribetra wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Also, when saving for the end-user, it will create a new image file called NuScratch{current date}.image. You can rename that file after saving it.

Wait, saving for end-user? How do you do that? The only thing that appears on the World menu is save, save as, and save as new version.

Nothing about saving on the file menu.
If you shift-click the place around where the “R” should be, you will get a developers menu. If you want it when shift-clicking the edit menu (or something similar), you can copy the code from Whiskers, since the menu format is a bit different in Squeak 5.0.


Also, I have just released the source for Whiskers under my github as well :https://github.com/NoMod-Programming/Whiskers. If anybody wants to contribute to Whiskers development, they can submit a pull request there. Next up on my list of things to do is to implement JSON reading from a zip file to get scratch 2.0 files imported

Last edited by NoMod-Programming (July 16, 2017 17:38:18)


Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Yay! I've got SVG loading working in a 3.8 image! Just a couple of tests (can anybody supply me with some svg images more complex than the scratch cat?) and I might have full sb2 loading ready (except for the blocks, which will use placeholders for how)

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
ninjagolloyd
Scratcher
500+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

this is awesome

bean
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Yay! I've got SVG loading working in a 3.8 image! Just a couple of tests (can anybody supply me with some svg images more complex than the scratch cat?) and I might have full sb2 loading ready (except for the blocks, which will use placeholders for how)
Will do.
Edit: here are some really random SVGs. I hope they help!
I guess compare them to what a browser gives you as well as what S2 and Whiskers render.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzVg3ATlXtVMcFA0aElCYkhtWDQ

Last edited by infinitytec (July 16, 2017 20:51:42)



Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Yay! I've got SVG loading working in a 3.8 image! Just a couple of tests (can anybody supply me with some svg images more complex than the scratch cat?) and I might have full sb2 loading ready (except for the blocks, which will use placeholders for how)
Will do.
Edit: here are some really random SVGs. I hope they help!
I guess compare them to what a browser gives you as well as what S2 and Whiskers render.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzVg3ATlXtVMcFA0aElCYkhtWDQ
They worked great! I've just got to implement sb2 reading and I'll have another alpha ready!

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Alright! Here's a new alpha with experimental SVG support. This version does NOT generate scratch 2.0-compatible files yet, but can read images and sounds from them. I would appreciate some testing as to which SVG files and which sounds don't work with this version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9TGNTUjBPQzVKZUk

Last edited by NoMod-Programming (July 16, 2017 22:51:08)


Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Alright! Here's a new alpha with experimental SVG support. This version does NOT generate scratch 2.0-compatible files yet, but can read images and sounds from them. I would appreciate some testing as to which SVG files and which sounds don't work with this version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9TGNTUjBPQzVKZUk
Cool! So does it just turn it bitmap?


Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Alright! Here's a new alpha with experimental SVG support. This version does NOT generate scratch 2.0-compatible files yet, but can read images and sounds from them. I would appreciate some testing as to which SVG files and which sounds don't work with this version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9TGNTUjBPQzVKZUk
Cool! So does it just turn it bitmap?
For the purposes of displaying it, yes. But internally, it is still stored as an SVG, and that, in a future version, will be used to render the costume.

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Alright! Here's a new alpha with experimental SVG support. This version does NOT generate scratch 2.0-compatible files yet, but can read images and sounds from them. I would appreciate some testing as to which SVG files and which sounds don't work with this version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9TGNTUjBPQzVKZUk
Cool! So does it just turn it bitmap?
For the purposes of displaying it, yes. But internally, it is still stored as an SVG, and that, in a future version, will be used to render the costume.
OK. Thanks! It's coming along great!


Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Alright! Here's a new alpha with experimental SVG support. This version does NOT generate scratch 2.0-compatible files yet, but can read images and sounds from them. I would appreciate some testing as to which SVG files and which sounds don't work with this version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FRCf6PuzM9TGNTUjBPQzVKZUk
Cool! So does it just turn it bitmap?
For the purposes of displaying it, yes. But internally, it is still stored as an SVG, and that, in a future version, will be used to render the costume.
OK. Thanks! It's coming along great!
Thanks! I'm working on adding the blocks now, which when it's done, will take Whiskers into beta, since all of its features should be complete.

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
timrowledge
Scratcher
14 posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

eribetra wrote:

Also, can you pass the link to the NuScratch you're using? (it needs to be the NuScratch .image, now the Whiskers one) Because every version of NuScratch running on Squeak 5.1 shows up an error about fonts.
OK, so now by sheer fluke I get some more context for the error report you sent in for NuScratch. General request to anyone ever sending an error report to anyone about anything - try to include actual details!

Almost certainly your issue is that you simply haven't got the fonts being used. That would be, in this case, the Verdana font set. I think. Since the Pi is set up with the correct fonts installed I never had reason to do much work on making things handle not having them. Where you get fonts for Pango and how you install them.. no idea. But that's what you need to do.
timrowledge
Scratcher
14 posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Jonathan50 wrote:

OK, thanks. Do you know what Squeak version the official Scratch 1.4 VM is forked from?

Roughly speaking it was 2.8 but with a huge raft of changes made. Many of which actually broke some of the important tools, which has been a source of much pain in the past and is part of why I rewrote stuff to get it to run in Squeak 5.0/5.1. Now it is a good citizen with all the sources organised in a monticello package. And it runs on a modern VM that is many times faster than the old one. And it has huge lists of bug-and-other fixes that make it faster still - a total of around 30 times faster in fact. (referring to Pi performance. Your mileage may vary)

Jonathan50 wrote:

I tried Whiskers using @infinitytec's link above, it works great. So what I'm wondering is, I know that the Scratch 1.4 in the Raspbian repository is NuScratch, but do Debian and Ubuntu use NuScratch too? (The Scratch 1.4 download page says to use the Scratch from the Debian/Ubuntu repositories)

To the best of my knowledge Debian still (mis)uses the ancient ‘4.10’ era unix vm code which is so out of date that it is baffling. Worse, they post-process the code to add a serious bitmap processing bug. Don't use it. Get your Squeak stuff from www.squeak.org
timrowledge
Scratcher
14 posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Seriously folks, you really, really, ought to move discussion of a lot of this stuff to the squeak mailing list. You'll get a boat-load more involvement and help, from people that really know what goes on in Smalltalk. It would make your lives so much better…

ww.squeak.org and go to the mailing lists page and subscribe to the general list.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

Okay, thank you for the information.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

timrowledge wrote:

Seriously folks, you really, really, ought to move discussion of a lot of this stuff to the squeak mailing list. You'll get a boat-load more involvement and help, from people that really know what goes on in Smalltalk. It would make your lives so much better…

ww.squeak.org and go to the mailing lists page and subscribe to the general list.
Alright. I subscribed. Thanks for the recommendation!

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile