Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

mythbusteranimator wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Well, I made a sketch of the adolescent, and it came out okay. I told myself that I would color it, so I started, but then I got lazy and stopped. :P I'll probably finish it (someday)
Here's what it looks like so far, so you can get an idea of the coloration (although that pic's pretty bad, because the coloring is wacky and doesn't follow the sketch much)

That reminds me of Spyro : o
It kind of does. I like it, though.

Lately I've been making up another fictional planet, and it's inhabited by several sentient races.
How about Friflandia

Can a country be Friflandia

I can give you an anthem and map
Maybe, but I think I'd rather create the whole thing on my own.
(I know. I was kidding. )

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Well, I made a sketch of the adolescent, and it came out okay. I told myself that I would color it, so I started, but then I got lazy and stopped. :P I'll probably finish it (someday)
Here's what it looks like so far, so you can get an idea of the coloration (although that pic's pretty bad, because the coloring is wacky and doesn't follow the sketch much)

That reminds me of Spyro : o
It kind of does. I like it, though.

Lately I've been making up another fictional planet, and it's inhabited by several sentient races.
How about Friflandia

Can a country be Friflandia

I can give you an anthem and map
Maybe, but I think I'd rather create the whole thing on my own.
(I know. I was kidding. )
Haha, and I took it seriously!

Have a cute, curled up Peridot.
mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
TheGeek56
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

I call mine
————–
Geeks3817a284728 for scientists
For the normal name
Tranfix
Its a geeks n nerds planet

Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Bump.

Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.
I'm out of ideas ——-________——-

Last edited by Mewly (Sept. 13, 2013 19:21:20)

Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.
Me too. I was hoping someone else would have some.

Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.
A world where the gravity is so low that people can “swim” through the air, thus eliminating the need for arms and legs. Instead, all animals have developed fins and fishlike tails.

Does that do any good?

look a square
;
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Zaneki wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.
A world where the gravity is so low that people can “swim” through the air, thus eliminating the need for arms and legs. Instead, all animals have developed fins and fishlike tails.

Does that do any good?
That'd be pretty neat, actually.

honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.

Does that do any good?
I don't think gravity works this way, so you'd have to handwave it ("oh it's a heavier type of oxygen discovered in the year 2033 that can be swam through, previously unknown to humans but the most abundant resource on planet “ for scifi, ”magic!“ for fantasy, whatever), and even then what exactly is something with no arms going to do effectively as a sentient race?

I'm formulating the ideas for a ”fictional world" (it's a world for a story/book to operate in so it's not just for the sake of making one) though all I have right now is the rough outline of the prevailing philosophy.

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.

Does that do any good?
I don't think gravity works this way, so you'd have to handwave it ("oh it's a heavier type of oxygen discovered in the year 2033 that can be swam through, previously unknown to humans but the most abundant resource on planet “ for scifi, ”magic!" for fantasy, whatever), and even then what exactly is something with no arms going to do effectively as a sentient race?

Three words: suspension of disbelief
:P

look a square
;
honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.

Does that do any good?
I don't think gravity works this way, so you'd have to handwave it ("oh it's a heavier type of oxygen discovered in the year 2033 that can be swam through, previously unknown to humans but the most abundant resource on planet “ for scifi, ”magic!" for fantasy, whatever), and even then what exactly is something with no arms going to do effectively as a sentient race?

Hmm, I suppose, but I guess I'm unique in this thread for liking worldbuilding to be more “hard” (e.g, to have a proper lore, philosophy, map, etc.) or at least make up it's own explanations if an existing concept (like gravity in this case) would not give the actual effect.

Check out reddit's /r/worldbuilding sometime for some really impressive stuff.

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Bump.

Does that do any good?

Hmm, I suppose, but I guess I'm unique in this thread for liking worldbuilding to be more “hard” (e.g, to have a proper lore, philosophy, map, etc.) or at least make up it's own explanations if an existing concept (like gravity in this case) would not give the actual effect.

Check out reddit's /r/worldbuilding sometime for some really impressive stuff.
You're not unique in that way. A lot of time I spend creating fictional worlds is making sure that the way the physics work makes sense. I also enjoy creating lore and philosophy, which includes writing a history on the world, and creating religions and deities that the inhabitants of the planet worship.

honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Standuism (rough draft and proof of concept, unofficially worded and stuff)

There is a “good” and a “bad” that are not exclusive to each other based on origin, but a mixing of intention, outcome, and other things. These are not necessarily called “good” and “bad” by believers, but seen as “acts of selfishness” and “acts of selflessness” (e.g. life should be to balance living for yourself with living for others), however, even some acts of meanness that aren't particularly beneficial to the person are seen as helping balance and in that way modern beliefs on it are argued to be flawed by some philosophers.

It is believed that there are two ruling beings, one representing each, who are worshiped and respected equally, and in order to please both and be admitted into the afterlife, you must balance the good and the bad actions in your life equally. To favor one over the other is to be sent to a barren wasteland full of people who favored the same being (some people prone to overbalancing “good”ness argue it will be a nicer place, though it is countered by how boring such a barren wasteland would be), however to be perfectly balanced is to be admitted into a sort of Heaven or Elysium.

Often people try to rebalance by being nicer, but it is seen a an ultimately selfish goal to want to help for the sake of balancing and can ultimately hinder you if the overall affect is not positive enough (donating a dollar to charity to rebalance would not help, but a person becoming a doctor simply for the act of rebalance could). It is often fuzzy the true outcome on someone's balance for an act and ultimately up to one person's interpretation until death.

The side of “overgoods” (people who believe in doing more acts of selflessness than the popular view of balancing permits) believe that to serve humanity as a whole is to also benefit yourself and that the returns create balance. While it is a blanket term (overgood can describe ANYONE who does more selflessness than selfishness), it is generally used on believers and the philosophical reasoning for doing so is known as Mildruism.

“Overbads” tend to be conceited and that to be serving them is to be giving a great sacrifice to humanity as well. Overbad encouraged by philosophy is Vandruism.

Last edited by honesty (Sept. 15, 2013 23:51:42)

Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

Standuism (rough draft and proof of concept, unofficially worded and stuff)

There is a “good” and a “bad” that are not exclusive to each other based on origin, but a mixing of intention, outcome, and other things. These are not necessarily called “good” and “bad” by believers, but seen as “acts of selfishness” and “acts of selflessness” (e.g. life should be to balance living for yourself with living for others), however, even some acts of meanness that aren't particularly beneficial to the person are seen as helping balance and in that way modern beliefs on it are argued to be flawed by some philosophers.

It is believed that there are two ruling beings, one representing each, who are worshiped and respected equally, and in order to please both and be admitted into the afterlife, you must balance the good and the bad actions in your life equally. To favor one over the other is to be sent to a barren wasteland full of people who favored the same being (some people prone to overbalancing “good”ness argue it will be a nicer place, though it is countered by how boring such a barren wasteland would be), however to be perfectly balanced is to be admitted into a sort of Heaven or Elysium.

Often people try to rebalance by being nicer, but it is seen a an ultimately selfish goal to want to help for the sake of balancing and can ultimately hinder you if the overall affect is not positive enough (donating a dollar to charity to rebalance would not help, but a person becoming a doctor simply for the act of rebalance could). It is often fuzzy the true outcome on someone's balance for an act and ultimately up to one person's interpretation until death.

The side of “overgoods” (people who believe in doing more acts of selflessness than the popular view of balancing permits) believe that to serve humanity as a whole is to also benefit yourself and that the returns create balance. While it is a blanket term (overgood can describe ANYONE who does more selflessness than selfishness), it is generally used on believers and the philosophical reasoning for doing so is known as Mildruism.

“Overbads” tend to be conceited and that to be serving them is to be giving a great sacrifice to humanity as well. Overbad encouraged by philosophy is Vandruism.
I like that idea. It's hard to imagine just how hard keeping that balance would be.

generosity
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fictional Worlds

ursula k. le guin is very good at setting

“Take a hard look at the dollar bill and ask yourself, is this really what people are dying for?” - Lil B
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Hey, guys, I'm working more on creating different races that live on the fictional planet that I created. I might share more on it later.

Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Bump.

Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Okay, I admit that this topic's pretty much dead now.

Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Okay, I admit that this topic's pretty much dead now.
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;-;