Discuss Scratch

ImagineIt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

firedrake969_test wrote:

honesty wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

The sad thing is: This doesn't mean everything is true. There's and infinite combination of things that could happen, so instead of one thing happening in a universe, another thing will. Therefore, fiction is NOT fact.
Exactly.

It's “anything COULD be happening” not “anything MUST be happening”, and that's only if you take the multiverse theory as true in the first place and iirc it's not particularly widely accepted but the whole “What if?” thing draws people to consider it.
Anything*infinity still is infinity. The probability still can be uber-low, but if there are infinite universes, which I shall assume for the sake of this argument, everything must happen. Say the probability of my eating a bagel is 0.0000001. Then, we multiply it by infinite universes to find the probability. If there were 5 universes, the probability is 0.0000005. If there's 10, it's double that number. If it's infinite, it's infinite of that number, hence, infinity.

And “not widely accepted” means the average guy on the street won't know about it, as it's all complex string theory and stuff (membranes, p-branes, etc.) but physicists accept it.
No. That's not what it is. Not everything must happen. There could somehow(Unlikely) be infinite universes where the exact same thing happens.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

No, as if there is the slightest probability of something happening, it will happen.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
ImagineIt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Firedrake969 wrote:

No, as if there is the slightest probability of something happening, it will happen.
There was a 60% chance it would rain in my area one day. It didn't rain.
That logic is flawed.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

It will happen assuming there are infinite universes. Sorry for not clarifying.

In an alternate universe, it will rain in your area on that day.

EDIT: In fact, probably 60% of infinite alternate universes will have that happen. But we all know that weathermen often are far from being right.

Last edited by Firedrake969 (Sept. 7, 2013 18:08:16)

'17 rickoid

honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Firedrake969 wrote:

EDIT: In fact, probably 60% of infinite alternate universes will have that happen. But we all know that weathermen often are far from being right.
Infinity does not cause inevitability.

Just because Pi is endless, doesn't mean it will contain every string of numbers you could conceive. The universe works the same way, and we still haven't proven the infinity of the universe, or multiverses, have we? If there was a similar endless number, they could very well not contain entire digits for their entire, endless, duration. (Okay, well, it's uncertain if it does: http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/11/since-pi-is-infinite-can-i-draw-any-random-number-sequence-and-be-certain-that-it-exists-somewhere-in-the-digits-of-pi)

Straight Dope Message Boards wrote:

The answer to your question is no. Even very very likely things are not inevitable - proof as follows:

Consider the mythical ‘fair coin’. This puppy is a coin that has an exactly 50/50 chance of landing on heads or tails no matter how many times you flip it, entirely unaffected by the result of previous flips. (It's mythical becuase it won't eventually erode away to nothing from all this flipping.)

Now, consider the question “Is it inevitable that the coin, if flipped long enough, will land on tails eventually?” The answer to this question is no - it could in theory land on heads every time. The likelihood of this happening is infinitessimally small given a large number of flips, but it is still possible, which means that seeing a tail is not inevitable regardless of number of flips, despite being very, very, very likely.

And is something that's very, very, very likely isn't inevitable, really unlikely things aren't either.

So basically, if there is a CHANCE of something, and that CHANCE is being rolled repeatedly like the chance to get a 6 on a die, that CHANCE is still a CHANCE, not a certainty.

So in each alternate universe where it has a 60% chance of raining, assuming they decide this by random dice roll (obviously don't but for the sake of the thought experiment) they could all turn up to not rain based on that 40% chance otherwise.

Your argument is unsupported and essentially based on “what sound right” from what I can tell.

And for fun, search for any number string in Pi and find it's position: http://www.angio.net/pi/piquery

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

what sounds*

But I personally don't trust a website called Straight Dope.

Even so, that's independent probability. We don't know how the universe works, and I doubt will be any closer in the next couple months, but I personally think under certain conditions, anything can affect anything. Have you heard the saying "A flap of a butterfly's wings can stir up a storm in [insert place here]"?

However, we're repeating, and offtopic.

Reading this post, I find your username interesting.

I rest my case. Now, we might as well make a different topic for this, and talk about the right thing (for once xD).

'17 rickoid

Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

ImagineIt wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

There was a 60% chance it would rain in my area one day. It didn't rain.
That logic is flawed.
Actually, here's a fun fact about weather forecasts: while, yes, it's true that they are often incorrect, the percentage they give you does not tell you the likelihood of it raining. What it's actually telling you is that it will rain in approximately 60% of the area that they forecast in, i.e., if the weather station is giving you information about the weather in a northern segment of Florida, it's saying that X% of northern Florida will be rained upon.
This is what my dad told me, though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

look a square
;
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Wow. I did not expect this thread to take off like this.

Firedrake969 wrote:

Have you heard the saying "A flap of a butterfly's wings can stir up a storm in [insert place here]"?
By that, do you mean butterfly effect?

Have a cute, curled up Peridot.
honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Firedrake969 wrote:

what sounds*

But I personally don't trust a website called Straight Dope. Unnecessary attack on the name of the website. It's an old, well-trusted site. However, I didn't get that from the REAL researcher (Cecil), but the forums are just as reputable as ours so we can safely trust that guy as much as I can trust you. Regardless, there's not factually incorrect information or anything needing research to be backed up. in that, you should be able to tell that what he's saying is not incorrect as it's simple probability.

Even so, that's independent probability. We don't know how the universe works, and I doubt will be any closer in the next couple months, but I personally think under certain conditions, anything can affect anything. Have you heard the saying "A flap of a butterfly's wings can stir up a storm in [insert place here]"? Do you have any proof that infinite universes are affected by others? Similarly, the butterfly thing is unproven. Even then, even if they were relying on each other, that doesn't mean this causes everything to happen. It could make some things more likely to happen than others, but it's still not going to cause all potential possibilities.

However, we're repeating, and offtopic. The one correct part of your argument!

Reading this post, I find your username interesting. Are you attacking my name because you think I'm “lying” about what I'm saying?

I rest my case. Now, we might as well make a different topic for this, and talk about the right thing (for once xD).

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

@ honesty and Firedrake

Both of you are getting off-topic… and you guys are starting to bring a bit of tension to the thread.
So, I dunno… I guess what I'm trying to do is advise you guys to settle your differences and get this thread back on track.

…Anyways, I'm going to draw out the creatures from my fictional planet sometime, if I can remember how they looked. I used to draw them all the time, but that was two years ago, so I may have to dig deep to remember their various features. :P

look a square
;
generosity
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Infinity does not cause inevitability.

Just because Pi is endless, doesn't mean it will contain every string of numbers you could conceive. The universe works the same way, and we still haven't proven the infinity of the universe, or multiverses, have we? If there was a similar endless number, they could very well not contain entire digits for their entire, endless, duration. (Okay, well, it's uncertain if it does: http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/11/since-pi-is-infinite-can-i-draw-any-random-number-sequence-and-be-certain-that-it-exists-somewhere-in-the-digits-of-pi)

Straight Dope Message Boards wrote:

The answer to your question is no. Even very very likely things are not inevitable - proof as follows:

Consider the mythical ‘fair coin’. This puppy is a coin that has an exactly 50/50 chance of landing on heads or tails no matter how many times you flip it, entirely unaffected by the result of previous flips. (It's mythical becuase it won't eventually erode away to nothing from all this flipping.)

Now, consider the question “Is it inevitable that the coin, if flipped long enough, will land on tails eventually?” The answer to this question is no - it could in theory land on heads every time. The likelihood of this happening is infinitessimally small given a large number of flips, but it is still possible, which means that seeing a tail is not inevitable regardless of number of flips, despite being very, very, very likely.

And is something that's very, very, very likely isn't inevitable, really unlikely things aren't either.

So basically, if there is a CHANCE of something, and that CHANCE is being rolled repeatedly like the chance to get a 6 on a die, that CHANCE is still a CHANCE, not a certainty.

So in each alternate universe where it has a 60% chance of raining, assuming they decide this by random dice roll (obviously don't but for the sake of the thought experiment) they could all turn up to not rain based on that 40% chance otherwise.

Your argument is unsupported and essentially based on “what sound right” from what I can tell.

And for fun, search for any number string in Pi and find it's position: http://www.angio.net/pi/piquery
that's the clearest counterargument to this idea I've ever heard ♥
however, there is a bit of a fallacy in your argument, which is that the ‘fair coin’ example isn't exactly a metaphor for the universe
if we assume the universe is infinitely large (meaning space continues forever) there is a very small probability that a certain event will occur, or a certain object will exist in a place in the universe. the continuing nature of space does not cause objects to exist, just like the linear (and NOT cyclical, they've proven it now!) nature of time does not cause an event to occur.
0.999… =/= 1 for the same reason that if you take point A and point B, and take half the distance between them, and take half of that, and repeat that forever, you will never reach point B. this may seem unrelated but it really isn't.
let's assume that there are an infinite number of universes that are exactly 5 meters across. the likelihood that there is a 1 meter human being existing in one of those universes is 99.999…%. but that doesn't mean that that person has to exist, just that the likelihood of him/her NOT existing approaches zero. THAT can be applied to every situation.

“Take a hard look at the dollar bill and ask yourself, is this really what people are dying for?” - Lil B
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Zaneki wrote:

@ honesty and Firedrake

Both of you are getting off-topic… and you guys are starting to bring a bit of tension to the thread.
So, I dunno… I guess what I'm trying to do is advise you guys to settle your differences and get this thread back on track.

…Anyways, I'm going to draw out the creatures from my fictional planet sometime, if I can remember how they looked. I used to draw them all the time, but that was two years ago, so I may have to dig deep to remember their various features. :P
I agree. The argument should stop and we should get back onto topic. The last thing I want is for my thread to be closed because of this.

honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Zaneki wrote:

@ honesty and Firedrake

Nobody paid attention the two times I was on topic

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

@ honesty and Firedrake

Don't you hate when that happens?

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

honesty wrote:

I didn't say you were never on-topic, I just said you were getting off-topic :P
I'm sorry if I've offended you, by the way. I don't like getting into fights…

Anyway, I made a quick sketch of one of my creatures, and I'll probably color it later. It's supposed to be a baby alien; if I have time, I will draw the older versions. (If I can remember what they looked like… I've forgotten a lot of the details over time)

Last edited by Zaneki (Sept. 7, 2013 21:19:19)

look a square
;
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

Anyway, I made a quick sketch of one of my creatures, and I'll probably color it later. It's supposed to be a baby alien; if I have time, I will draw the older versions. (If I can remember what they looked like… I've forgotten a lot of the details over time)
That sketch is so cute!

Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

That sketch is so cute!
I'm becoming jelly of Zaneki's imagination! >.<

No offence.
ImagineIt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

That sketch is so cute!

No offence.
Don't become jealous!

Come up with something on your own, IMAGINEIT.
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

ImagineIt wrote:

Mewly wrote:

Lightningstep36 wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

honesty wrote:

That sketch is so cute!

No offence.
Don't become jealous!

Come up with something on your own, IMAGINEIT.
Your username is very meaningful.

Zaneki
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fictional Worlds

Mewly wrote:

No offence.
:O

look a square
;