Discuss Scratch

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Scratch Cat's Hideout: Change of plan: I'm renovating this thread. Click inside for details.

gregory9
Scratcher
100+ posts

The Scratch Cat's Hideout: Change of plan: I'm renovating this thread. Click inside for details.

Can I join?

Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, Bing, or Yahoo

Check out Coursacado, and SBX Share!

I am gw90 on GitHub
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

jamiewinter
Scratcher
100+ posts

Could you revie my project pix rpg?

Check out PixRPG! One of the best RPG Games On Scratch!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/10323022/
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

Added to the list! I might start doing some more as the list is getting long again.
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

Updated the Write A Review page! There were some old requests in there!
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

With the exception of the meeting rooms, all of the links now lead to studios. You can still access the old posts via the “Advertise” page, but these will no longer be updated.
unknownhydra
Scratcher
35 posts

Borrego6165 wrote:

With the exception of the meeting rooms, all of the links now lead to studios. You can still access the old posts via the “Advertise” page, but these will no longer be updated.
Studios are kind of better in my opinion.

Last edited by unknownhydra (Aug. 21, 2013 16:00:36)

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

unknownhydra wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

Studios are kind of better in my opinion.
That's why I changed it all
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I would like it if Doors Aurora was reviewed again. I just updated it.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

I would like it if Doors Aurora was reviewed again. I just updated it.

Before I added it to the requests list, I want to check if you've made enough changes. I remember you doing this on my old thread and I just copied and pasted the older reviews with minor changes! That's how indifferent each update was.

Last edited by Borrego6165 (Aug. 22, 2013 07:26:19)

Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

Stay tuned for a 9-part series on how to make a successful tycoon game!
mathbrain
Scratcher
33 posts

I'd like to join. Thanks!

–Please try my seasonal games when you have the chance–
Currently it is: NBA 2K14
In this game, you can select quarter length and the two teams to play a full NBA game! This is a simulation so you don't have to do anything, just watch the teams play! Hope you like it

“Why fit in when you're born to stand out?”
- Dr. Seuss
mathbrain
Scratcher
33 posts

If someone could review my project, I would greatly appreciate it.
The project is called “Back to School Shopping”.
—Description: “Ready to go back to school? Do you think you are good at planning your budget? Find out in this project. Choose what to buy within 7 school supplies, and see if you stay within your budget! Also, join the weekly drawing for Customer of the Week!”

Here it is: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11820991/

Last edited by mathbrain (Aug. 23, 2013 15:59:36)

In this game, you can select quarter length and the two teams to play a full NBA game! This is a simulation so you don't have to do anything, just watch the teams play! Hope you like it

- Dr. Seuss
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

mathbrain wrote:

If someone could review my project, I would greatly appreciate it.
The project is called “Back to School Shopping”.
Here it is: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11820991/

Updated!
mathbrain
Scratcher
33 posts

Review for pix rpg by jamiewinter

Game Design 10/10
The various levels, challenges, and achievements to unlock make this game very fun and addictive. The interesting dialogue also gives an extra side kick to the game to keep players from getting bored. If there is enough space, adding cloud data (once iCloud lists come out) to allow players to save the progress would be also wonderful.

Originality 7/10
Even though there are many adventure games in Scratch, few have as unique features as this one with, multiple levels and multiple obstacles/bosses. Moreover, the stats are original too, especially “reputation” and skin color. However, other than this, the main storyline (defeating enemies) is not very distinct from other adventure games, thus the 3 points lost.

Ease Of Use 3/5
Controls were very clear and effective in this game, although when controlling the arrow keys, the sprite moved quite slow (probably due to the large game size). In addition, I feel that more clarity/direction could be given on the process of the game. For example, I was confused on what to do after killing the dragon. I also didn’t know how to defeat the slimes. Maybe there could be a sign that says “GO HERE” to show the player what to do and where to do it. Otherwise, this would score 5/5.

Difficulty Balance 2/5
I feel that some parts of the game are much too difficult, such as killing the dragon (it took me multiple attempts until I finally did). Also the small fires (on the screen before the dragon battle) were hard to avoid. A difficulty slider would certainly help so the player can control how hard they want to play. Therefore, this scored 2/5.
Graphics 3/5
Moving sprites were very well designed in this game, especially the dragon boss’s fireballs and the small fires in the subsequent screen to the boss battle. I liked the detail attempted in the interior on some buildings, but I felt more could be added to the exterior. Moreover, I thought that the first introduction screen needed more details to make it more interesting, hence the 2 points lost.

Sound 4/5
The music in the game was excellent, and they all seemed to fit at the right time. For example, during Boss Battles, the music was more intense than the regular storyline (3/3 for music). There could have been more sound effects (1/2) though.

Firing Round 8/10 (This is the addition of the following scores)
Reliability 1/2
0 (Very Glitchy) 1 (A few glitches) 2 (Hardly any glitches)
Game Length 2/2
0 (Too Short) 1 (Descent Length) 2 (Long lasting or endless)
Game Pace 1/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 2/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 2/2
0 (Simple to make) 1 (Fairly advanced) 2 (It was very complex)

Overall Experience 43/50
This game was full of adventure and made we want to keep playing and keep exploring the different levels. The unique bosses and animations make this a memorable and extraordinarily complex project. Even though difficulty could be adjusted, the challenges allowed me to feel rewarded after completing them, particularly the dragon boss. Seven points were taken off because (1) in some places, the pace was slow, such as during mandatory conversations and (2) confusion on how to play in some aspects, such as “stats”, “skins”, and what to do to unlock certain achievements.

TOTAL: 80/100

- Dr. Seuss
MissKandyKorn
Scratcher
6 posts

Can you advertise and review my project Beautiful OS?
Borrego6165
Scratcher
500+ posts

MissKandyKorn wrote:

Can you advertise and review my project Beautiful OS?

Sure! I'll do this one!
jamiewinter
Scratcher
100+ posts

mathbrain wrote:

Game Design 10/10
The various levels, challenges, and achievements to unlock make this game very fun and addictive. The interesting dialogue also gives an extra side kick to the game to keep players from getting bored. If there is enough space, adding cloud data (once iCloud lists come out) to allow players to save the progress would be also wonderful.

Originality 7/10
Even though there are many adventure games in Scratch, few have as unique features as this one with, multiple levels and multiple obstacles/bosses. Moreover, the stats are original too, especially “reputation” and skin color. However, other than this, the main storyline (defeating enemies) is not very distinct from other adventure games, thus the 3 points lost.

Ease Of Use 3/5
Controls were very clear and effective in this game, although when controlling the arrow keys, the sprite moved quite slow (probably due to the large game size). In addition, I feel that more clarity/direction could be given on the process of the game. For example, I was confused on what to do after killing the dragon. I also didn’t know how to defeat the slimes. Maybe there could be a sign that says “GO HERE” to show the player what to do and where to do it. Otherwise, this would score 5/5.

Difficulty Balance 2/5
I feel that some parts of the game are much too difficult, such as killing the dragon (it took me multiple attempts until I finally did). Also the small fires (on the screen before the dragon battle) were hard to avoid. A difficulty slider would certainly help so the player can control how hard they want to play. Therefore, this scored 2/5.
Graphics 3/5
Moving sprites were very well designed in this game, especially the dragon boss’s fireballs and the small fires in the subsequent screen to the boss battle. I liked the detail attempted in the interior on some buildings, but I felt more could be added to the exterior. Moreover, I thought that the first introduction screen needed more details to make it more interesting, hence the 2 points lost.

Sound 4/5
The music in the game was excellent, and they all seemed to fit at the right time. For example, during Boss Battles, the music was more intense than the regular storyline (3/3 for music). There could have been more sound effects (1/2) though.

Reliability 1/2
Game Length 2/2
Game Pace 1/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 2/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 2/2

Overall Experience 43/50
This game was full of adventure and made we want to keep playing and keep exploring the different levels. The unique bosses and animations make this a memorable and extraordinarily complex project. Even though difficulty could be adjusted, the challenges allowed me to feel rewarded after completing them, particularly the dragon boss. Seven points were taken off because (1) in some places, the pace was slow, such as during mandatory conversations and (2) confusion on how to play in some aspects, such as “stats”, “skins”, and what to do to unlock certain achievements.

Thanks for the review but can you just reply to this with all the things to improve and by the first into screen what do you mean

Check out PixRPG! One of the best RPG Games On Scratch!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/10323022/
mathbrain
Scratcher
33 posts

jamiewinter wrote:

mathbrain wrote:

Game Design 10/10

Originality 7/10

Ease Of Use 3/5

Difficulty Balance 2/5
Graphics 3/5

Sound 4/5

Reliability 1/2
Game Length 2/2
Game Pace 1/2
Replay Value 2/2
Programming 2/2

Overall Experience 43/50

Thanks for the review but can you just reply to this with all the things to improve and by the first into screen what do you mean

No problem: by the first screen, I mean the one that immediately pops up when you click play.

- Dr. Seuss