Discuss Scratch

Scratcher
46 posts

Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor (Beta) is now available!

grokblah wrote:

The Scratch Team is pleased to announce the beta version of the Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor is available. It currently works only on Mac and Windows.

You can install it and find out more here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/

Please leave us feedback and information about any issues here. Be sure to let us know what version of Mac or Windows you're using. Screenshots are always helpful.

Thanks!
Shane
(on behalf of the Scratch Team)

Yah!!! I have a really late reply but it's cool!
Netbook
Scratcher
4 posts

In the help menu, apostrophes show up as weird characters… o.o
Anyways, thanks for releasing this
Ean173
Scratcher
100+ posts

I hope you don't remove the online player! even if you do make it available, I still want the old online player!

Roses are red.
Violets are red.
Bushes are red.
Trees are red.
MY GARDEN IS ON FIRE!!!

If you cringe at what you've done years ago, that means you've grown as a person.
mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jackajacka wrote:

Cool! The beta is nice, but the windows icon for windows 7, is really bad looking. I mean, really bad.
Yeah, it does.

Ean173 wrote:

I hope you don't remove the online player! even if you do make it available, I still want the old online player!
No, they won't.

Last edited by mitchboy (Aug. 27, 2013 20:59:34)

Capsicum annuum.
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

stickdude123 wrote:

Error Report: Unable to install!

“The application could not be installed. Try installing it again. If the problem persists, contact the application author.” Error 0

Running:
Architexture x86
System Type: 32 bit

I hope this is helpful. :l

Can you make sure you're logged in with administrator privileges on your machine?

Netbook wrote:

In the help menu, apostrophes show up as weird characters… o.o
Anyways, thanks for releasing this

Can you tell us which words or screens where you're seeing the apostrophes? Thanks!
mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There's already a topic about this glitch, but I'd thought I'd post it here. When you change the color of a block and hit apply, the text in the upper-right corner overlaps. (More here.)

Last edited by mitchboy (Aug. 27, 2013 21:28:20)

Capsicum annuum.
amazingmario2011
Scratcher
4 posts

Please add in a link in order to download any projects as documents and upload them to the editor so we can play games offline, do you guys think you will do that Scratch Team?
Metalwasp
Scratcher
9 posts

I found a way to upload projects from scratch offline. all you have to do is save the project, open a new project on the web and upload over it, make sure its a blank project. and there you go. It may seem obvious for some of you but I personally couldnt find out how to share projects because the share button doesnt work.
mcjohnso
Scratcher
47 posts

Scratch team, please do not rely on libraries that aren't available for all operating systems. I am on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04, and adobe (for some strange reason) is not making adobe air for linux anymore. I just wanted to let you know, and I really would appreciate if you had used a library that was open source. I much prefer compiling things from the source code.

Privacy at its finest

You won't be unknown anymore

I love math, Python, bash scripting, Star Wars, Linux, and EDM. What can I say, I'm a geek.
Running Ubuntu Precise 12.04 Linux distribution with Xfce Desktop Environment.
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

When I saw this, I was like YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mcjohnso
Scratcher
47 posts

mcjohnso wrote:

Scratch team, please do not rely on libraries that aren't available for all operating systems. I am on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04, and adobe (for some strange reason) is not making adobe air for linux anymore. I just wanted to let you know, and I really would appreciate if you had used a library that was open source. I much prefer compiling things from the source code.
I know You went to a lot of trouble to make scratch for us, and I truly appreciate it. I have been gone for a while, learning python, lua, and other programming languages. I just remembered that the offline scratch editor was coming out sometime this summer, so I decided to come have a look. Sadly, I can't do that since adobe no longer adobe no longer supports air for linux.

Last edited by mcjohnso (Aug. 27, 2013 22:02:13)

Privacy at its finest

I love math, Python, bash scripting, Star Wars, Linux, and EDM. What can I say, I'm a geek.
Nathanator1416J
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yay, its up!

I found this GUI error, but I'm not sure how it came about.
(Hosted on my {crappy} site)
here.

Pardon it's large size
In the upper right hand corner.

Last edited by Nathanator1416J (Aug. 27, 2013 22:03:43)

PEPPERTREE LABS! (PtP/PtL)
Tourmaline Scientific Research Programs at PEPPERTREE LABS!
Someone actually used that link! (They were from Virginia….)
GEOLOGY ROCKS! (chemistry too!)
I Tried Supporting Klingons here! But It Was Too late!!!!!
Running Windows XP SP3 (Home) With a 2.2 GHz Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2! Support my petition! (here)
Nathanator1416J
Scratcher
100+ posts

boaz wrote:

grokblah wrote:

The Scratch Team is pleased to announce the beta version of the Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor is available. It currently works only on Mac and Windows.

You can install it and find out more here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/

Please leave us feedback and information about any issues here. Be sure to let us know what version of Mac or Windows you're using. Screenshots are always helpful.

Thanks!
Shane
(on behalf of the Scratch Team)

Good news. But wait, will there be an OFFLINE installer?

Millions of PCs are not online. How would they install Scratch 2.0?
Dude, that's the only way you ever install things from. It's not like MIT is gonna send you a CD ROM of it

PEPPERTREE LABS! (PtP/PtL)
Tourmaline Scientific Research Programs at PEPPERTREE LABS!
Someone actually used that link! (They were from Virginia….)
GEOLOGY ROCKS! (chemistry too!)
I Tried Supporting Klingons here! But It Was Too late!!!!!
Running Windows XP SP3 (Home) With a 2.2 GHz Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2! Support my petition! (here)
mcjohnso
Scratcher
47 posts

mcjohnso wrote:

mcjohnso wrote:

I know You went to a lot of trouble to make scratch for us, and I truly appreciate it. I have been gone for a while, learning python, lua, and other programming languages. I just remembered that the offline scratch editor was coming out sometime this summer, so I decided to come have a look. Sadly, I can't do that since adobe no longer adobe no longer supports air for linux.
*bump* Sorry, just want you to see this scratch team.

Privacy at its finest

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mcjohnso wrote:

mcjohnso wrote:

Try Wine. It should work (winehq.org).

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yaaaaay!

Get ready for the bug complaints, Scratch Team, it's gonna get wild

ilpuppet
Scratcher
24 posts

When I open sometimes it does not load.
ihaveamac
Scratcher
89 posts

The fact that it uses Adobe Air is bad for us Linux users. What will you use/do?

We can use wine but not everyone wants to.

Keep hacking. It’s what bushing would have wanted.
AlphaAxle
Scratcher
100+ posts

Awesome! I am a bit disappointed that you can still only use the default texts, but I know that the scratch team is working hard to make this happen

mcjohnso
Scratcher
47 posts

infinitytec wrote:

mcjohnso wrote:

mcjohnso wrote:

Try Wine. It should work (winehq.org).
I don't like wine. It is just hit or miss whether it works or not, and it just isn't very stable.

Privacy at its finest