Discuss Scratch

digger101
Scratcher
15 posts

Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor (Beta) is now available!

Great so far!
I do dislike the fact for a few click situations you need to double click. Is that planned to be fixed?

Digger101, Flash newbie, average Scratcher.
Browser/OS: (Insert_Correct_Browser_Stuff_Here. . Or just , Flash 11.8 , but that is a fail. )

All errors in the above post are just errors. Move along with your day, people. XD
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

w00t

Finally!

Any screenshots of it? Does it look and act the same? Can't download ATM, but I'd like to see it.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
WIlliam7777
Scratcher
40 posts

Thank scratch team.Don't unshare my projects anymore
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor is a pretty big name for such a small menu bar… Do you think you can shorten it to Scratch, Scratch 2.0, 2.0, etc? Other than that, it looks good to me!

But one question: How will the backpack work? Does it save from online use? All of your offline use? Or just that session?

goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AlphaAxle wrote:

Awesome! I am a bit disappointed that you can still only use the default texts, but I know that the scratch team is working hard to make this happen
I was also a bit dissapointed that they didn't add a title screen… (But it's just in beta!)
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

AlphaAxle wrote:

Awesome! I am a bit disappointed that you can still only use the default texts, but I know that the scratch team is working hard to make this happen
I was also a bit dissapointed that they didn't add a title screen… (But it's just in beta!)
A title screen?…

dogopus
Scratcher
1 post

I Had a Problem Where the set turned white on display but in editor was still like it was before i had to Click on it a few times for it to loaf
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

w00t

Finally!

Any screenshots of it? Does it look and act the same? Can't download ATM, but I'd like to see it.
Look at the online editor, take a mental screen shot, mentally/digitally add you task bar/dock thing, and you have yourself a screenshot of the offline editor!

thejuki
Scratcher
70 posts

Awesome! I shall test it soon!
Spunky_Sam
Scratcher
44 posts

Why doesn't it work on Linux? This makes Tux very sad.
Go here for image:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/109/f/1/Sad_Tux_by_vzsport.png

define eat [food] (times) times
point towards (food)
repeat until <touching (food)?>
move (5) steps
end
repeat (times)
play sound [nom v] until done
end
broadcast (join (food) [ Eaten])
FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

Under Linux Mint 15 I've managed to install Air with Wine but can't get to download the Scratch installer. I got this address http://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/_1377548734_/sa/Scratch.air… but it is an incomplete or invalid URL.

To the Scratch Team: Can you please post the URL to the Scratch 2.0 Editor installer?

Thanks!

Last edited by FUN_Fall_2012 (Aug. 28, 2013 00:50:41)

I'd rather be diving ,,,
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

FUN_Fall_2012 wrote:

To the Scratch Team: Can you please post the URL to the Scratch 2.0 Editor installer? I've managed to install Air under Wine but can't get to download the Scratch installer.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that should happen automatically… Did you go to the Scratch News and click the download button there?

MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

Spunky_Sam wrote:

Why doesn't it work on Linux? This makes Tux very sad.
Go here for image:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/109/f/1/Sad_Tux_by_vzsport.png
Probably because OSX and Windows are the two most popular OS's - or at least for the normal, non-developer people. I'm sure it will come out soon though.

FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

MelonInc wrote:

FUN_Fall_2012 wrote:

To the Scratch Team: Can you please post the URL to the Scratch 2.0 Editor installer? I've managed to install Air under Wine but can't get to download the Scratch installer.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that should happen automatically… Did you go to the Scratch News and click the download button there?

Using Linux I can't download it directly from the button as it detects that my system “can't run” Air. I need the link to the Scratch installer so that I can do the installation with wine directly.

Last edited by FUN_Fall_2012 (Aug. 28, 2013 00:53:57)

I'd rather be diving ,,,
FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

It is not my intention to begin an off-topic discussion about this but can't pass on the opportunity to point out that this is a misconception:

MelonInc wrote:

Probably because OSX and Windows are the two most popular OS's - or at least for the normal, non-developer people. I'm sure it will come out soon though.

I'd like to encourage you to try one of the user friendly Linux distributions, that are meant for everyday computer users. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best regards,

I'd rather be diving ,,,
FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

FUN_Fall_2012 wrote:

Under Linux Mint 15 I've managed to install Air with Wine but can't get to download the Scratch installer. I got this address http://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/_1377548734_/sa/Scratch.air… but it is an incomplete or invalid URL.

To the Scratch Team: Can you please post the URL to the Scratch 2.0 Editor installer?

Thanks!

Update: It works under Wine, sound and all.

This is what I had to do to get it running in Linux:
- Using Internet Explorer within wine fetch Adobe Air
- Locate the file AdobeAirInstaller.exe and run with wine
- download Scratch.Air from http://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/__1377548732__/sa/Scratch.air
- run it with Air installer
- have fun!

I'd rather be diving ,,,
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

FUN_Fall_2012 wrote:

It is not my intention to begin an off-topic discussion about this but can't pass on the opportunity to point out that this is a misconception:

MelonInc wrote:

I'd like to encourage you to try one of the user friendly Linux distributions, that are meant for everyday computer users. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best regards,
Promise to end this little discussion now so we don't get kicked off? Ok, good

I did know about the home use Linux distributions, but still… I have a personal Mac, and my family has them too. We used to have a Windows computer (NEVER buy a Gateway!). And honestly, I've only seen people using OSX and Windows almost everywhere I go. I think most people stick with those two because: 1. I think very few people in the older generations, the ones who by most of the computers in the world, don't know that Linux exists. 2. Have you ever seen a display computer running Linux in a store like Best Buy or somewhere else that sells computers? I haven't.

Now, I'm not saying it's not a good OS, or that I would never want it. In fact, the one time I did use it, I liked it a lot (More than Snow Leopard, and that's saying something)! But, it's rather uncommon among most of the population, and therefor it is last on the list for a project like this.

Last edited by MelonInc (Aug. 28, 2013 02:06:25)

jcx
Scratcher
3 posts

if “video motion on this sprite” is shown the value dosn't change on real time..
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

FUN_Fall_2012 wrote:

Thanks!

Try: http://scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/sa/Scratch.air
Does that work for you?
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

jcx wrote:

if “video motion on this sprite” is shown the value dosn't change on real time..

Can you explain more about where you're trying this? Did you pull out the “video motion on this sprite” block into the Scripts area, and then click the checkbox next to the “video motion on this sprite” block in the blocks' palette? It works on my machine, but I'm wondering if you're trying something different.