Discuss Scratch

Lucario621
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor (Beta) is now available!

Well, I got it working (running Win7 32-bit with Chrome). Perhaps not the “smoothest” set up, but it could be worse. I think my problem was that it took awhile for the “install now” link to load the pop-up so I just kept clicking on it and ended up with like a dozen AIR install windows. I guess I'm used to the normal “downloading an exe file” thing to appear on the bottom of my browser, hehe.

Anyway, I haven't tested it in depth, but looks like the basic features - scripts editor, paint editor as well as the tips feature - are all functional for me. Even all of the sample backgrounds/costumes/sounds are there! Though it's a bit disappointing that if you want to look at these samples - in case you wanted to remix them with an external image editor - in the Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor folder, they're all just a bunch of messed up names! Like, the sample top-down-view cat is just 01ae57fd339529445cb890978ef8a054.svg That's not very user friendly! Obviously this is an /incredibly/ important problem to be fixed.

Nah, I'm kidding. Nice job guys. Yeah, out of anything else, I think being able to directly upload from the editor is the most important thing that needs to be added - so hopefully you will add that sometime before the final release.

P.S. “grokblah”. What an original name!
iTweak0r
Scratcher
100+ posts

Awesome! I can now work on scratch without internet.

It says on the title bar and start menu “Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor”
It is very long and you know you're using it offline so maybe change it to just “Scratch 2.0”?

I also think tips shouldn't show in Fullscreen

Last edited by iTweak0r (Aug. 27, 2013 01:20:03)

Specs 1 (main): Safari on MacBook Pro; Late 2008; Core 2 Duo @2.4GHz; 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM; Mac OS X 10.10;

Specs 2: Firefox on Lenovo Yoga 13; Core i7 @2.0GHz; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM;
tri-boots Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X 10.10, and Ubuntu 14.01 LTS;

All have the latest version of Flash.
grokblah
Scratcher
100+ posts

ProdigyZeta7, what version of windows are you using? This might help you: http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/troubleshoot-air-installation-windows.html

Shane
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I hear many users' problems with downloading it… It works extremely well on Windows 8 IE10. Try IE 10 people who are having trouble…

Last edited by turkey3 (Aug. 27, 2013 01:22:39)

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

grokblah wrote:

ProdigyZeta7, what version of windows are you using?
I run Windows XP 2002 Home Edition.

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

grokblah wrote:

ProdigyZeta7, what version of windows are you using?
I run Windows XP 2002 Home Edition.
Is your Adobe Air updated and recent? And have you tried a different browser? I have a feeling it is the fact that it's 2002 XP, since it's older. Hmm…

natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

Lucario621 wrote:

Well, I got it working (running Win7 32-bit with Chrome). Perhaps not the “smoothest” set up, but it could be worse. I think my problem was that it took awhile for the “install now” link to load the pop-up so I just kept clicking on it and ended up with like a dozen AIR install windows. I guess I'm used to the normal “downloading an exe file” thing to appear on the bottom of my browser, hehe.

Anyway, I haven't tested it in depth, but looks like the basic features - scripts editor, paint editor as well as the tips feature - are all functional for me. Even all of the sample backgrounds/costumes/sounds are there! Though it's a bit disappointing that if you want to look at these samples - in case you wanted to remix them with an external image editor - in the Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor folder, they're all just a bunch of messed up names! Like, the sample top-down-view cat is just 01ae57fd339529445cb890978ef8a054.svg That's not very user friendly! Obviously this is an /incredibly/ important problem to be fixed.

Nah, I'm kidding. Nice job guys. Yeah, out of anything else, I think being able to directly upload from the editor is the most important thing that needs to be added - so hopefully you will add that sometime before the final release.

This is helpful, Lucario621. We'll add to the download page to wait for it to install…

Can you explain more about the image names– how are you accessing them? For example, if I choose the top-down cat as a sprite, then choose from the right-click menu “Save to local file” I get cat2.svg. I'm wondering where you're getting that long name?

We agree that the ability to upload from the editor is high priority and hopefully will be coming very soon!
jualop
Scratcher
1 post

Thank you sooooo muuuuch!!!!!!
teachers with Internet connection difficulties will thank a lot …
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have come to report one glitch I have noticed. Full screen mode is different than the online editor. In full screen on the offline editor (Win 8), the background is black, and the tips menu shows.

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

When you click the button to export translation strings, the log in button shows.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

Awesome! I can now Scratch on the road if I wanted to, or in an airplane or hotel! because hotel wifi and airplane wifi is worse than the cheesy-puffs sprite

mrsrec
Scratcher
500+ posts

Wow People Are Coming On Very Rapid!
mrsrec
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hey Where's My Other Post?
Oh I'll Post It Here:
I Downloaded Scratch 2.0 Offline Beta First!
Why Did I Not Get First Post?
Because I Was Busy Playing With The Editor.
Let The Fame Arise!
Epicness123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i like it,its just like normal scratch but no lag!

Sadly, my kumquats were eaten by an evil forum signature.
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

When you click the button to export translation strings, the log in button shows.

Oh, we'll put that in the bug report, thanks for letting us know!
mrsrec
Scratcher
500+ posts

natalie wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Here's A Bug For The Online AND Offline Editor:
The “Laptop” Sprite Comes With Some Scripts…
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

I have come to report one glitch I have noticed. Full screen mode is different than the online editor. In full screen on the offline editor (Win 8), the background is black, and the tips menu shows.

To be fixed, thanks for reporting.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

mrsrec wrote:

Hey Where's My Other Post?
Oh I'll Post It Here:
I Downloaded Scratch 2.0 Offline Beta First!
Proof, if you will.
Why Did I Not Get First Post?
Because I Was Busy Playing With The Editor.
Nice. Have you made anything yet?
Let The Fame Arise!
Uh, what do you mean?
Commented in bold.

lightsong1
Scratcher
60 posts

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

mrsrec wrote:

natalie wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Here's A Bug For The Online AND Offline Editor:
The “Laptop” Sprite Comes With Some Scripts…

Hmm…Hmm…Hello!
Good catch: Computer error! We'll remove those too.