Discuss Scratch

thinkerpup76
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

I have to agree with unicorn0125. I was trying to draw and color a wolf head, and that alone took me about 15 minutes. On the old paint editor it would only have taken 5. Don't get me wrong, I like the new layout and the fact that projects are made online, but if the paint tool goes unchanged, I doubt I'll ever make an animation again.
Svega006
Scratcher
1 post

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

thinkerpup76 wrote:

I have to agree with unicorn0125. I was trying to draw and color a wolf head, and that alone took me about 15 minutes. On the old paint editor it would only have taken 5. Don't get me wrong, I like the new layout and the fact that projects are made online, but if the paint tool goes unchanged, I doubt I'll ever make an animation again.

+1
xJira
Scratcher
20 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

I'm currently testing the new Paint Editor and after I got used to it, I can only say: It's great! Just awesome, that Scratchers can now create Vector Graphics.

Well, it is still possible to import the usual Pixelbased images. And some Scratchers want the old editor back… Maybe you could make it possible to choose between Vector and Pixel Graphics for each object/costume/the whole project? Vector-Graphics do look awesome! But some games/projects would not be the same without their Pixelgraphics and Sprites. Like for example Spectrum. It's not impossible, but for games that are like Pokémon, I'd always choose Pixelgraphics…

I don't know if somebody has already mentioned this, but here are some ideas for the Paint Editor:

+ fuse objects and cut one object off another would be nice!

+ gradients (I know you already plan that feature) will be awesome!!!
+ ctrl+a, ctrl+v, ctrl+y
+ mirror objects horizontally and vertically
+ select more then one node, when changing the shape of an object, so you can delete/move a group of nodes
+ choose, wether two nodes connect a curved line or a straight line
+ draw triangles!
+ press Shift while turning an object to turn it at 45° intervals
+ when drawing a very tiny object, the program is creating way to many nodes oO

This is what I've drawn http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10028018/
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

unicorn0125 wrote:

Hello! I can't understand Scratch 2.0. Will someone help me! I used to make good(ish) projects, but now I can't even draw! Scratch please fix this! And can someone teach me…

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it! (And we'll keep working on making it easier too!)

Didja try this tutorial yet?
http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10013388/
Quirkycat
Scratcher
14 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Not a huge fan of the new paint editor.

I'm an artist, and enjoy using the scratch paint editor to do more pixel-oriented pictures. In this new editor, I see that there is only one soft, circle brush. This was a big disappointment. If I wanted high-quality line art, I would go use gimp. I come to the paint editor for sharp, clear, pixeled styles of art.

The eraser will also be tricky for me to use. In 1.4, I liked to use the eraser tool to give the edges of my lines point, and to shave off areas. ( this came in really handy) Now, no matter what I do, it erases in awkward little chunks, leaving the same soft, rounded point at the end. Also, When you go to erase a big line, the eraser also grows to match the size. It's the same with very small lines. What if you were drawing a large picture with a small line? It would be very tricky to erase a large portion of it with a tiny eraser. I think I could deal with the brush's flaws if only I had a nice eraser to work with.

Some additional problems include the copying tool, and color range.With the Copy tool, instead of copying a selected area, it copies ONE line segment. I sometimes like to re-size a certain area of a picture. That isn't possible with 2.0. Also, I might be missing something, but it seems to me as if you are now limited to the sample colors, and can't choose any in-between colors from the color range thing.

There are also some things I LOVE About the new editor. I love the option to bend your line. That could be very useful to me. I also like that the fill tool still works with soft edges!

However, even considering these benefits, I think that I will be sticking to the 1.4 editor. It's an oldie but a goodie.
starshadow
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Some glitiches…. otherwise, great job! But it's really hard to bucket fill lineart and even harder to animate. The bucket fill only colors 1/2 of the drawing.
starshadow
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

the _meow_ dosent work! ;n;
Champ99
Scratcher
37 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

LockedOn wrote:

Great, thank you so much for replying to my comments.
I have a couple more questions:
Can you change the font, and will this ever be implemented?
and:
Can you somehow code in the shortcut command+z for undo, like in 1.4, or is this impossible with the Flash base?

– LockedOn.

- A selection of fonts is definitely on our list of todo's
- We do plan to have keyboard shortcuts as well (for example, delete is already implemented..more to come)

Thanks again for your comments.

Champ99
Scratcher
37 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

X-Radical wrote:

Cool! I just wish it had were “send back” and “bring forward” buttons.

There actually are bring forward and move backward buttons…if you select an object that is in front of another you'll see two icons appear towards the bottom of the toolbar. They are the ones with a stack of lines and arrows pointing up and down. Those will move things forward/ backward.
obsidiousshade
Scratcher
12 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

A font selector like in 1.4 would be really nice, maybe with some fonts that you could only get in Scratch? Also, the eraser tool is kinda laggy, not sure if it's just because it's still in beta or not though. Other than that, LOVING it!
JammySquirrel
Scratcher
1 post

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Hi, the name's JammySquirrel, The paint editor is coming along well and the new vector based editor has a nice smooth finish. However it doesn't have the same pixelated effect that the bitmap editor does which I'm sad about because I love pixelation But hopefully I'll be able to find an alternative editor for my sprites. Just want to bring your attention to a certain glitch, when you try to draw a line across the page there is a slight gap that it is apparently impossible to fill. And so when you use the fill can it covers the entire screen. I know you don't want bugs reported but this has really distressed me and I wanted to make sure the scratch team know. Your doing a great job and I hope 2.0 is a great sucess
AshKittie
Scratcher
5 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

But… there IS an undo button!! It's beside the thing where you change the costume name (On top of the editor)

There are a few problems everyone above has listed about the drawing tool, so I won't go into those.

Also, I use a netbook, and everything in 2.0 is too… netbook un-friendly. I can't really see any of the tools at the bottom, and the paint editor is just too small.
In 1.4, the paint editor grew to fit the whole screen, but here in 2.0, the tabs at the top of my browser and my screen size are a pain.
I'd like to use the download version, but I can't find it!! HALP

I really like the vector graphics, and they give a beautiful clip-arty effect.
Good job, anyways.
AshKittie
Scratcher
5 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

JammySquirrel wrote:

However it doesn't have the same pixelated effect that the bitmap editor does which I'm sad about because I love pixelation But hopefully I'll be able to find an alternative editor for my sprites.
I use MS paint xp, (You can download it) and it works a treat
You can also use paint tool sai for more detailed things, but you need to pay. (You can get a trial version, though)

ScratchOS
Scratcher
17 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

It would be useful if you did a pop-out for the paint editor because all the colours of the new project create screen seem to be white, meaning it's hard to see the edge of the editor..
spongebob123
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Champ99 wrote:

spongebob123 wrote:

This is very nice! However, how do I use the fill tool like in Scratch 1.4? It's working strangely.

Thanks for your feedback! Can you tell us a bit more about the issues you're running into with the fill tool or what parts are acting strangely?
Well it doesn't fill in a closed line the way it used to in 1.4 - I understand this is a problem with the vector graphics, so I can wait until the launch and it will be fixed - another user had this same problem. Basically it's like this (o representing line and A filled in color):

ooo
oAo
ooo

oooo
oA o
oA o
oooo

It doesn't fill in ALL of the space inside a line, but a certain area instead, making it inconvenient to color.
funnymee323
Scratcher
3 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

First of all, it's looking super cool!!

But there ARE a few things missing……

Remember on 1.4 how you had different options for the paint bucket? Like, making it morph into another color?

There's no color wheel! DX

THe vectorized feature is really cool

Can't wait for the full release!
UltraAdam
Scratcher
48 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Its to complex for my taste, I was trying to make some Pixel terrain and its simply impossible to in Online create.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

UltraAdam wrote:

Its to complex for my taste, I was trying to make some Pixel terrain and its simply impossible to in Online create.
Vector isn't good for high-end pixel graphics. A hint: Make the pixel graphics in a scriptless 1.4 project, then import that project into Scratch 2.0.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
LockedOn
Scratcher
21 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

xJira wrote:

I'm currently testing the new Paint Editor and after I got used to it, I can only say: It's great! Just awesome, that Scratchers can now create Vector Graphics.

Well, it is still possible to import the usual Pixelbased images. And some Scratchers want the old editor back… Maybe you could make it possible to choose between Vector and Pixel Graphics for each object/costume/the whole project? Vector-Graphics do look awesome! But some games/projects would not be the same without their Pixelgraphics and Sprites. Like for example Spectrum. It's not impossible, but for games that are like Pokémon, I'd always choose Pixelgraphics…

I don't know if somebody has already mentioned this, but here are some ideas for the Paint Editor:

+ fuse objects and cut one object off another would be nice!

+ gradients (I know you already plan that feature) will be awesome!!!
+ ctrl+a, ctrl+v, ctrl+y
+ mirror objects horizontally and vertically
+ select more then one node, when changing the shape of an object, so you can delete/move a group of nodes
+ choose, wether two nodes connect a curved line or a straight line
+ draw triangles!
+ press Shift while turning an object to turn it at 45° intervals
+ when drawing a very tiny object, the program is creating way to many nodes oO

This is what I've drawn http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10028018/

+1,000,000.

I too have been missing a fuse/cut off feature, not only would it be great for the things you mentioned, but that sort of feature would make shading possible again.

– LockedOn.

Sky01
Scratcher
11 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

In the new editor, the eraser is really confusing. It doesn't seem to delete individual pixels; instead it gets rid of chunks of my pictures. This makes it hard to get the quality of picture I aim for in my projects.

I know you're probably getting a lot of negative comments from people who haven't adjusted to the new editor yet. Hopefully you're accounting for that when adding up how many complaints there are. Most of us will get used to it eventually.

Last edited by Sky01 (Feb. 3, 2013 02:17:31)