Discuss Scratch

Champ99
Scratcher
37 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

learnegy
Here are some possibilities:1) Keeping your built-in editor simple and adding SVG import/export for more advanced editing in Inkscape, Illustrator, etc. The key is to maintain scalability and some editability in the local editor.2) Integrate a completed third-party open source editor:Example: SVG-edit (https://code.google.com/p/svg-edit/) - fully web-based, active project, MIT license. Might be able to work with the author to fork into a simplified version suitable for Scratch audience. Full SVG import and very feature complete. The demo of the latest version is very impressive and runs right in the browser (http://svg-edit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/editor/svg-editor.html). The editable vector shape library would be great for young Scratchers.Example HTML-based: http://editor.method.ac/ made by http://news.ycombinator.com/user?id=duopixel3) Replace the current built-in editor with an open source Actionscript library.Example: Actionscript-based SVG editor (http://code.google.com/p/svgeditor-as3/)

Thanks for this thoughtful feedback. We looked at several vector editors when planning the Scratch 2.0 paint editor. SVG-edit was definitely one of the nicer ones (imo). One of the things that was important to us was trying to create a vector editor that was simple/ natural to use and didn't require too many specialized tools (as most professional/ full featured do). We've looked at third-party apps for inspiration but didn't go down the route of integrating one in - since there wasn't one that we felt was exactly what we would want for Scratch.

The route we decided to take is probably close to your first suggestion - a simple vector editor that lets you do the basic things but allows for importing for more advanced work.

learnegy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Champ99
The route we decided to take is probably close to your first suggestion - a simple vector editor that lets you do the basic things but allows for importing for more advanced work.

A basic editor with import/export (especially SVG) would be wonderful and should satisfy the needs of all audiences. There are many great tools out there for the pros, but the features would scare away many Scratch users.

Perhaps, something to think about for the future, would be an “Advanced Mode” button in the editor that launches an SVG-edit session allows saving back into the default scratch editor or directly into Sprite library.

Thanks again for all of your work and glad to help this great project any way I can.

2.0 Alpha Tester • Scratch instructor and fan!

“Some like to build and some like to play. You can do both with Scratch every single day.”
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Hey, any new news on the paint editor updates?

I was trying drawing on the paint editor, and one thing that kind of annoyed me was the fact that, while free-style drawing, the lines and objects came up with more nodes than necessary. I could delete the nodes that I don't want, but that that's a bit time consuming; additionally, I've noticed that having more nodes slows down my browser, sometimes it would freeze up for a bit. I know I mentioned the bezier tool earlier, but I feel like bringing it up again just because having one will reduce that problem.

I'm not sure what happened between the last time I was drawing in the paint editor and today. There must be some kind of weird bug with rotation, because it made the nodes go all wonky (the image will look fine in the editor but all weird looking on the stage. http://alpha.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10007574/#player
{EDIT}: Huh, maybe cache issue with my browser? It seemed to be working properly today. But I saved the wonky node costume just in case (which can be accessed by clicking on the sprite to change the costume)

Last edited by cheddargirl (Dec. 11, 2012 20:54:08)

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
learnegy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

I just noticed that SVG import is working in the editor! This is a wonderful feature! SVG sprites are not yet editable in the paint editor, but fully-scalable. Creating SVG's in Illustrator, Inkscape and online tools such as SVG Edit (https://code.google.com/p/svg-edit/) or importing them from various open source repositories is a great workflow for advanced users.

Are there any plans to allow importing images from a URL in a future release?

“Some like to build and some like to play. You can do both with Scratch every single day.”
learnegy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Thinking about the possibilities of a completely web-based workflow – it would be awesome to have the ability to copy SVG markup from a web-based editor such as SVG Edit and be able to paste it directly in the Scratch paint editor. Adding a “SVG” button would be way to confusing for many users, but if the paint editor could recognize that SVG is being pasted and render it in the editor that would be amazing! Thanks.

DAwesme
Scratcher
27 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Well, Its pretty good, but its missing some features from scratch 1.4. The fill thing does not work. Also, the Eraser does not exists. I hope that this will be fixed in scratch 2.0 Full.
Agentpieface
Scratcher
70 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

The editor looks awesome! I love that now you can have more than one piece of text and the moving features.

scratch veteran - 7000 posts on 1.4 forum - lost interest after that
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Agentpieface
The editor looks awesome! I love that now you can have more than one piece of text and the moving features.
Yep! Wow, you're back! I should test out the moving features. What do you mean by them?

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Chuugoku
Scratcher
4 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Vector without the eraser makes it a bit more difficult to animate. I had a few ideas for animations and whatnot, yet it's really difficult to animate due to the size of the screen, and the fact the ‘bones’ of the vector(I call the blue things on the black lines that start curves(I don't know what it's called) bones as a reference to the popular 3D Anime program MMD, since the bones in MMD move the character's body parts) makes it a bit difficult, but it's not that big of a problem for me to animate with.
Now I can't wait until they create an eraser and a zoom tool! That's all I'd need to animate and draw better. I don't mind the vector pen, even if it's mean to me and messes up the lines(Could be just my hand, or the mouse shaking by accident).
Scratch 2.0 was a good experience, but I lacked making anything due to the fact I believe drawing and animation is my specialty…
ka-doink4545o0
Scratcher
36 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

When I use the fill tool, it just fills in a part of the sprite or whatever. How do you fill in the entire space like in 1.4?

Using Firefox 17.0.1 on a Windows Vista.
learnegy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

ka-doink4545o0
When I use the fill tool, it just fills in a part of the sprite or whatever. How do you fill in the entire space like in 1.4?

The paint bucket seems to fill inside of vector shapes, so to fill the entire page you could create rectangle the full size of the stage and fill it with the paint bucket. It's all SVG behind the scens, so something needs to exist to fill in.

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

ka-doink4545o0
Last I heard, the paint bucket needed a lot of work. Currently, we can only fill in vector shapes, like what lernegy pointed out.

@Chuugoku: There is a zoom tool, it's located at the bottom right corner of the paint editor canvas (it looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign in it. The equal sign next to it bring the zoom size back to 100%)

Champ99
Scratcher
37 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

learnegy
I just noticed that SVG import is working in the editor! This is a wonderful feature! SVG sprites are not yet editable in the paint editor, but fully-scalable. Creating SVG's in Illustrator, Inkscape and online tools such as SVG Edit (https://code.google.com/p/svg-edit/) or importing them from various open source repositories is a great workflow for advanced users. Are there any plans to allow importing images from a URL in a future release?

Thanks for all your feedback on the paint editor. If you're playing around in there it would be great if you could share some of your experiments/ tests - those are really helpful to us. A picture is worth a million words

There are no current plans to import via url - but it seems like a good idea.

Last edited by Lightnin (Dec. 15, 2012 05:11:20)

Champ99
Scratcher
37 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

cheddargirl
Hey, any new news on the paint editor updates? I was trying drawing on the paint editor, and one thing that kind of annoyed me was the fact that, while free-style drawing, the lines and objects came up with more nodes than necessary. I could delete the nodes that I don't want, but that that's a bit time consuming; additionally, I've noticed that having more nodes slows down my browser, sometimes it would freeze up for a bit. I know I mentioned the bezier tool earlier, but I feel like bringing it up again just because having one will reduce that problem.I'm not sure what happened between the last time I was drawing in the paint editor and today. There must be some kind of weird bug with rotation, because it made the nodes go all wonky (the image will look fine in the editor but all weird looking on the stage. http://alpha.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10007574/#player{EDIT}: Huh, maybe cache issue with my browser? It seemed to be working properly today. But I saved the wonky node costume just in case (which can be accessed by clicking on the sprite to change the costume)

We're back to working on the paint editor here and should have some pushes soon that implement editing/ drawing backgrounds more easily. As well as library images that are structured better for animating/ painting. We have a lot more in our queue, but that's what is up next (along with some bug fixes)
Hardmath123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

I just wanted to say that it's really easy to get fluid stop-motion animations with the new spline function in the paint editor! You should have a few sample projects to demonstrate this, it's a cool trick.
MrLog
Scratcher
33 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

I definitely think that you should be able to switch between both vector and pixel based graphics settings. I find pixelart a lot easier than vector drawing to be honest. but hey, I guess you can import pixelated images.

Oh, one thing I noticed - can you make images bigger than 480x360 now by importing a bigger image? 1.4 used to resize it to fit, but I don't think it does that on this. I've always wanted to be able to make bigger images
learnegy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

Champ99
Thanks for all your feedback on the paint editor. If you're playing around in there it would be great if you could share some of your experiments/ tests - those are really helpful to us. A picture is worth a million words

No problem at all. I just built a quick test project using only imported SVG graphics. The character, background and text are all imported SVG 1.1 files. Imported graphics can be filled and scaled from the paint editor, but editing control points is not currently possible. Big kudos to the Scratch devs for implementing SVG import!!!!

http://alpha.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10007581/

ka-doink4545o0
Scratcher
36 posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

The good thing about paint fill is that there won't be any more coloring contests.

Using Firefox 17.0.1 on a Windows Vista.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

ka-doink4545o0
The good thing about paint fill is that there won't be any more coloring contests.
I doubt it.

Different paint fill doesn't mean the end of coloring contests, as often times Scratcher have a tendency to export images and color them in a different editor. I expect some of the vector-savvy users to use a vector editor like Inkscape for such a project.

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Paint Editor

ka-doink4545o0

Ah, but by the way, we love coloring contests! We want Scratch to be used for all sorts of creative expression, art being one great example.

Remember, Scratch is for everyone.

Last edited by Lightnin (Dec. 16, 2012 09:51:27)