Discuss Scratch

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Spots Are Running Out Fast! Join Now! / Zelda Based Action RPG [NOW HIRING]

I made a small update to the scrolling engine, fixed some bugs and improved the walking cycle (@griffpatch's 16-frame walking cycle)

With refresh version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/41803476/ (Not recommended for this project)

Without refresh version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/52540026/ [Recommended for this project]

Don't use the version without refresh yet though, because it's not up to date. Use the refresh version for now (Notice that the refresh version probably isn't compatible with @FarAwayGames's version of the game)

Last edited by Tropic (March 28, 2015 16:05:41)

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 40.0.2, Flash 20.0 (release 0)
Last eaten by Evil Kumquat (Today 19:30:11)
when I receive [flash_player_version] :: motion
say [Windows 7, Flash 15.0 (release 0)] :: sensing
stop script :: custom
Tropical Productions
Imagine-Interactive
Scratcher
10 posts

You guys, I'm going to need a story to know what I need to make for graphics. If someone doesn't do something about it, I'll just have to come up with the story on my own.
little-mergirl
Scratcher
15 posts

Is anyone programming Link's merman form?

Think it would be awesome to be a mermaid/merman?
Join this drawing contest! http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/992348
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

little-mergirl wrote:

Is anyone programming Link's merman form?

Not yet, @awesome-astronaut I already do have a costume system so no need to worry. But we will need to name about 300 costumes by hand xD Or I could just make a program to do it.

lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

Tropic wrote:

I made a small update to the scrolling engine, fixed some bugs and improved the walking cycle (@griffpatch's 16-frame walking cycle)

With refresh version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/41803476/ (Not recommended for this project)

Without refresh version: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/52540026/ [Recommended for this project]

Don't use the version without refresh yet though, because it's not up to date. Use the refresh version for now (Notice that the refresh version probably isn't compatible with @FarAwayGames's version of the game)

Looks awesome! I love the animation! Hmm I was checking the difference since I'm running it on a mac book pro I can't really tell, but if you say it's less laggy I believe you! Just turn up the scrolling speed for no speed refresh.

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lbruns wrote:

Tropic wrote:

Looks awesome! I love the animation! Hmm I was checking the difference since I'm running it on a mac book pro I can't really tell, but if you say it's less laggy I believe you! Just turn up the scrolling speed for no speed refresh.
It's not notable in small projects, if you were to put it in a big project it would be notable
Also the squares don't move weird anymore like you wrote
(btw, I didn't make the animation as I wrote in the credits, it was @griffpatch. I'm not that good at art xD)

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 40.0.2, Flash 20.0 (release 0)
Tropical Productions
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

Tropic wrote:

lbruns wrote:

Tropic wrote:

It's not notable in small projects, if you were to put it in a big project it would be notable
Also the squares don't move weird anymore like you wrote
(btw, I didn't make the animation as I wrote in the credits, it was @griffpatch. I'm not that good at art xD)

Yeah it's nice and smooth! Also thanks for all you have contributed so far!

FlygonWithTheWind
Scratcher
15 posts

For any of you writers who are active, could I get filled in on the story? I need something before I can start designing.
-Wumbo-
Scratcher
22 posts

How much progress have you made?

10dan
Scratcher
4 posts

I love zelda 2!
FlygonWithTheWind
Scratcher
15 posts

10dan wrote:

I love zelda 2!
How is that relevant? If you have nothing to offer to the project, I suggest you post elsewhere.
FlygonWithTheWind
Scratcher
15 posts

-Wumbo- wrote:

If you're talking to me, virtually none, seeing that I've been given little to no information on the story whatsoever.
Imagine-Interactive
Scratcher
10 posts

Ibruns, I really need to have a story for the game. Right now I'm making a bunch of 8 x 8 (big boxes, not pixels) tile sets. To use them, you drag the ones you need into your backpack, then drag them onto the stage.

So what I need is for the programmers to program enemy spawning (use placeholders sprites until graphics are made)

And I would like to make it so that Link can jump once he reaches an edge. Is there anyway we can do that?
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

Imagine-Interactive wrote:

Ibruns, I really need to have a story for the game. Right now I'm making a bunch of 8 x 8 (big boxes, not pixels) tile sets. To use them, you drag the ones you need into your backpack, then drag them onto the stage.

So what I need is for the programmers to program enemy spawning (use placeholders sprites until graphics are made)

And I would like to make it so that Link can jump once he reaches an edge. Is there anyway we can do that?

Yeah. I'm sure one of our programers / me could find a way to do it. Also you had brainstormed ideas for the story?

lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

-Wumbo- wrote:

We have made a lot of progress. Our artist are currently making a tileset and my programers have made: Smooth Scrolling Engine, Map System, Simple AI, Loot Table, and Basic Credits. Our story designers have brainstormed some story ideas though we need to decide what it's going to be about. Dungeon designers have made simple unfinished dungeons. Made some characters that have moving animation. And link's transformation.

Thanks to all of the team for the hard work! -lbruns

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lbruns wrote:

-Wumbo- wrote:

We have made a lot of progress. Our artist are currently making a tileset and my programers have made: Smooth Scrolling Engine, Map System, Simple AI, Loot Table, and Basic Credits. Our story designers have brainstormed some story ideas though we need to decide what it's going to be about. Dungeon designers have made simple unfinished dungeons. Made some characters that have moving animation. And link's transformation.

Thanks to all of the team for the hard work! -lbruns
If you reply to this post will your text get invisible?

Tropical Productions
awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

I have ideas for the story, but many of them I want to use for my own adventure game. So far all I have is that Link wakes up not remembering who he is and that's when the game begins.

Check out my Legend of Zelda story on Wattpad! (appropriate for 10+)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/190522961-the-wind-waker-a-legend-of-zelda-novel
FlygonWithTheWind
Scratcher
15 posts

Do you have any open space for story designers? If so, I'd like to apply, if possible.
Imagine-Interactive
Scratcher
10 posts

FlygonWithTheWind wrote:

For any of you writers who are active, could I get filled in on the story? I need something before I can start designing.

From what I've seen, so far there is no story. We have still not reached a general consensus on what on earth the game is about. I think the game should be a legend of zelda, (obviously since we're using Link) and the main idea of the game should be based on a theory about the zelda series called the tetra force theory. Google it to find out more about it.
Imagine-Interactive
Scratcher
10 posts

Something I really need from the programmers to continue making the world is being able to switch from a scrolling world, to being inside a building. I have the story planned out, but I really need someone to allow changing areas. Possibly by making a separate terrain sprite for every area.

Last edited by Imagine-Interactive (April 6, 2015 17:37:19)