Discuss Scratch

lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

Spots Are Running Out Fast! Join Now! / Zelda Based Action RPG [NOW HIRING]

@Tropic

I tried to incorporate your scrolling system, I deleted the old version and installed the new version, but there is something wrong. Could you help me find the solution? https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/41343808/#editor

awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

lbruns wrote:

@Tropic

I tried to incorporate your scrolling system, I deleted the old version and installed the new version, but there is something wrong. Could you help me find the solution? https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/41343808/#editor

I have always liked FarAwayGame's engine the best. It is very organized and smooth, and it's easy to add graphics to it.

Check out my Legend of Zelda story on Wattpad! (appropriate for 10+)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/190522961-the-wind-waker-a-legend-of-zelda-novel
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

awesome-astronaut wrote:

lbruns wrote:

@Tropic

I have always liked FarAwayGame's engine the best. It is very organized and smooth, and it's easy to add graphics to it.

I would be fine with that, but Tropic put a lot of time, work, and skill into creating the scrolling engine. His engine is great. I'm going to try to combine them all to the best of my ability.

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lbruns wrote:

@Tropic

Did you add the refresh version or the one without? (btw, I think @FarAwayGames's version is running without screen refresh, it would explain why it's a bit laggy) Btw, I've made a thing that can measure the lag and then decrease it, which would be useful when adding the collision from @FarAwayGames's engine If I'm able to understand a bit of how the collision works, I can implement the lag decreaser and then put everything together so we get a mix of my engine and @FarAwayGames's engine

I have a lot of tests next week though so I'll probably only be able to be active this week and/or this weekend. I'll probably be most active during the summer, usually in June and August

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 40.0.2, Flash 20.0 (release 0)
Last eaten by Evil Kumquat (Today 19:30:11)
when I receive [flash_player_version] :: motion
say [Windows 7, Flash 15.0 (release 0)] :: sensing
stop script :: custom
Tropical Productions
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

Tropic wrote:

lbruns wrote:

@Tropic

Did you add the refresh version or the one without? (btw, I think @FarAwayGames's version is running without screen refresh, it would explain why it's a bit laggy) Btw, I've made a thing that can measure the lag and then decrease it, which would be useful when adding the collision from @FarAwayGames's engine If I'm able to understand a bit of how the collision works, I can implement the lag decreaser and then put everything together so we get a mix of my engine and @FarAwayGames's engine

I have a lot of tests next week though so I'll probably only be able to be active this week and/or this weekend. I'll probably be most active during the summer, usually in June and August

I'm using now screen refresh. And yes, that's the idea I want to use elements from every game engine.

awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

I really need someone to program the ability to move to other areas. I think it would be really simple, like touch the side of the area, than the terrain switches from one sprite to another. Oh, and another important thing I would like is make it easier to tell where the character is in coordinates, so we can know where to place him when he changes areas.

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

awesome-astronaut wrote:

… Oh, and another important thing I would like is make it easier to tell where the character is in coordinates, so we can know where to place him when he changes areas.
What do you mean? The scrollX and scrollY can be viewed, as well as the x and y.

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 40.0.2, Flash 20.0 (release 0)
Tropical Productions
FarAwayGames
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ok. Screen refresh could fix the lag, however, I believe most of my engine is set not to refresh, but I could be wrong.

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FarAwayGames wrote:

Ok. Screen refresh could fix the lag, however, I believe most of my engine is set not to refresh, but I could be wrong.
Screen refresh is the simple way, but it may still be laggy or might even get more laggy
Using a main loop could solve the problem (unless you're already using one) though. I.e. only one loop, that runs with screen refresh, and sends messages to update all the other sprites without screen refresh. This means you can kind of choose how many FPS you want to have, lower FPS = more updates/ticks per second, higher FPS = more UPS/TPS

I'm working on making my engine that optimizes the speed to a minimum FPS compatible with this project and other projects

Last edited by Tropic (April 29, 2015 16:07:22)

Tropical Productions
Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I found the variables from my engine, but the rest of the scripts seems to be missing
That might be why it's not working.

Last edited by Tropic (April 29, 2015 16:12:52)

Tropical Productions
FarAwayGames
Scratcher
100+ posts

Tropic wrote:

FarAwayGames wrote:

Screen refresh is the simple way, but it may still be laggy or might even get more laggy
Using a main loop could solve the problem (unless you're already using one) though. I.e. only one loop, that runs with screen refresh, and sends messages to update all the other sprites without screen refresh. This means you can kind of choose how many FPS you want to have, lower FPS = more updates/ticks per second, higher FPS = more UPS/TPS

I'm working on making my engine that optimizes the speed to a minimum FPS compatible with this project and other projects

It already works with a main loop.

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FarAwayGames wrote:

Tropic wrote:

FarAwayGames wrote:

It already works with a main loop.
So there's only one single loop in the project? Sometimes it can work with 2 or a few more but often you should avoid more than 1 loop. If there's only 1 loop, there shouldn't be any lag at all except if it's running too many things at the same time

Tropical Productions
awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

FarAwayGames wrote:

Hey FarAwayGames, could you make it so in your engine you can go inside buildings and go to different areas? I don't care if it's used for the Rindra game, but I want to use your engine in my Tale of Twin Blades game.

awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey Far Away Games, if you're there, can you help me with something? On my game using your scrolling engine, I want to make a particle effect of smoke rising from a chimney. I want to know the scripting of how you would do that.

minebolt44
Scratcher
59 posts

Sorry guys. I had school to do so i haven't been on but summers almost here so i can be on now. Just want to check up on how things are going. Hi guys!

Need a Programmer? Ask me!
when green flag clicked
forever
program :: more blocks
for[anybody] :: operators
and[me] :: motion
end
lbruns
Scratcher
500+ posts

minebolt44 wrote:

Sorry guys. I had school to do so i haven't been on but summers almost here so i can be on now. Just want to check up on how things are going. Hi guys!

Hey!

Tropic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

minebolt44 wrote:

About the same here. I'm still having some things left to do but I can guarantee that I won't have any homework after week 21 Next week I have one test & 2 homeworks but the week after that I only have one test and nothing else I think

Tropical Productions
minebolt44
Scratcher
59 posts

Anything new while I've been gone? I've seen a lot progress!

Need a Programmer? Ask me!
when green flag clicked
forever
program :: more blocks
for[anybody] :: operators
and[me] :: motion
end
FarAwayGames
Scratcher
100+ posts

awesome-astronaut wrote:

Hey Far Away Games, if you're there, can you help me with something? On my game using your scrolling engine, I want to make a particle effect of smoke rising from a chimney. I want to know the scripting of how you would do that.
I'm sorry I've been kinda inactive. We have the equivalent of finals coming up, so I'm studying a lot. Let me see about smoke. I'm not sure about coding buildings. The project is pretty old for me now, but if i have the time, I'll do it. Anyways, I'm gonna work on the smoke for now, because that's more fun

awesome-astronaut
Scratcher
100+ posts

FarAwayGames wrote:

awesome-astronaut wrote:

I'm sorry I've been kinda inactive. We have the equivalent of finals coming up, so I'm studying a lot. Let me see about smoke. I'm not sure about coding buildings. The project is pretty old for me now, but if i have the time, I'll do it. Anyways, I'm gonna work on the smoke for now, because that's more fun

It's not the tale of Rindra project, it's my adventure game Tale of Twin Blades and since I'm not really good with programming, I thought you could help me here and there with it. Also, a problem I'm having is that there are so many things in the game that need collisions, like NPCs, puzzle elements, and other things like that, but I can't figure out how to make the character collide with so many sprites.