Discuss Scratch

BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

Make a forum post for autism acceptance

A forum post is needed as autistic people do face harrasement.

cheddargirl wrote:

Cat-out-of-the-bag: We sometimes use threads for certain holidays/events after finding that users with less than ideal values were harassing projects and studios we feature for that holiday/event. Using a thread promoting project/studio creation around that topic deflects that harassment. Not all threads are for this purpose, but overall, a forum post shouldn't be thought of as more superior than a project/studio feature. It isn't, especially for a creative community where there is greater value is presenting stuff made by others.

Last edited by BringUpYourPost (April 5, 2024 13:10:17)

hot655
Scratcher
100+ posts

I’m going to be weird with this one. I disagree, because I’m against it being “ autism awareness “. This is because autism awareness can often lead to a spreading of misinformation and outdated perspectives, causing trouble for people in the community. I do believe a forum on “ autism acceptance “ could work instead, however.

I’m Peppa Bacon!
BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

hot655 wrote:

I’m going to be weird with this one. I disagree, because I’m against it being “ autism awareness “. This is because autism awareness can often lead to a spreading of misinformation and outdated perspectives, causing trouble for people in the community. I do believe a forum on “ autism acceptance “ could work instead, however.
Ok I will change the OP
MythosLore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I was going to say that autistic people don't face as much “harassment” as, for instance, black people, however, I've heard people make jokes before where they use “autistic” as an insult when someone forgets something.
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Definitely support. Not only can this reduce autism hate on scratch, but it can also make autistic people feel seen.

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
-Rodri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

While I do believe this is important, not lots of scratchers use the forums, and if a forum post was added, it'd open a door to make a forum post for all minorities that face harassment. {though I think there has been the exception of the LGBTQIA+ group, but that was for LGBTQIA+ month I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong}

Plus,

Community Guidelines wrote:

We welcome people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.

Sent from Samsung Fridge Model RRSGR-34563

they say im gifted but i can't even spell proboably or simoustaniously correctly

omg when you search up “Samsung Fridge Model RRSGR-34563” one of my forums posts are the top result!!111

Have you ever wanted to rule the world?
Get Homework Help here!

✨Yassify the world with kindness✨

I'm Mexican/American
I speak Spanish and English (et un peu de francais)
I'm a roman catholic
I'm smart but have no street smarts
Straight Male
Goals:
Be a better forumer
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BringUpYourPost wrote:

A forum post is needed as autistic people might face harrasement.
They might or they do?

(I don't doubt that they do, but saying that would be a stronger argument than saying “might.” Otherwise this would be sort of like “doomsday speak.”)

Recall also that @cheddargirl indicates here that “a forum post shouldn't be thought of as more superior than a project/studio feature. It isn't, especially for a creative community where there is greater value is presenting stuff made by others.” Perhaps the suggestion is thus better-suited for asking the Scratch Team to feature autism acceptance projects/studios?

Nevertheless, in an effort to take this suggestion at face value and move it forward, I encourage anybody who supports this suggestion to come up with drafts/examples of what the Scratch Team's forum post could look like. What should it say? What are helpful links to include? When should it be posted?

Last edited by Za-Chary (April 4, 2024 20:17:53)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
MythosLore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Rodri wrote:

While I do believe this is important, not lots of scratchers use the forums,
Then the Scratch Team put it in the Scratch News part of the Front Page, like they did with Black History Month and Pride Month.

-Rodri wrote:

it'd open a door to make a forum post for all minorities that face harassment.
Just because they announce one minority group doesn't mean they must do it for every minority group.
Gamer_Logan819
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A forum post would encourage harassment since it would be an absolute godsend for trolls to say garbage and bully people. Now I’m not saying this goes for everybody but from what I’ve experienced and witnessed, a good chunk of people are sensitive to being bullied due to their disorder. I also think a bunch of people would react to these trolls and as such be at a decent risk of personal harassment by the trolls on their profile, which would be even worse.

The forum boogeymen are out to get you

MythosLore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

A forum post would encourage harassment since it would be an absolute godsend for trolls to say garbage and bully people. Now I’m not saying this goes for everybody but from what I’ve experienced and witnessed, a good chunk of people are sensitive to being bullied due to their disorder. I also think a bunch of people would react to these trolls and as such be at a decent risk of personal harassment by the trolls on their profile, which would be even worse.
They could close the topic immediately after making it as they do with Pride and BHM currently.
undeterministic
Scratcher
500+ posts

-Rodri wrote:

though I think there has been the exception of the LGBTQIA+ group, but that was for LGBTQIA+ month I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong
It is autism awareness month right now

Barney_at_Bonels83
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support as an Autistic myself.
But ther is already an Autism Acceptence Studio but isn't made by the Scratch Team themselves, but you can still chat on there

Last edited by Barney_at_Bonels83 (April 5, 2024 00:02:24)

SPONGES CAN POST ON FORUMS TOO

TOP 5 SPONGES OF ALL TIME ON THE FORUMS
1. SpongeBob
2. SpongeBob
3. SpongeBob
4. SpongeBob
5. Mr. Clean

most recent or not quotes I find funny:

bittensboy wrote:

horizontal_shading wrote:

say [I've been here since part 6, no way it's part 8 now]
there was a part seven.
play note (you forgot. v) for (0.5) beats::pen
source

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/706823/?page=2#post-7471830

pikachuLuke5 wrote:

MagicCoder330 wrote:

Yeah, and we should also celebrate Annoy Squidward day on February 15th! /hj

Still, good idea. Even if it wouldn't be that big an addition, it would be a fun thing to see. I'm sure a majority of users would enjoy it, or at least not hate it.source

couldn't find anything else

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

A forum post is needed as autistic people might face harrasement.
They might or they do?

(I don't doubt that they do, but saying that would be a stronger argument than saying “might.” Otherwise this would be sort of like “doomsday speak.”)

Recall also that @cheddargirl indicates here that “a forum post shouldn't be thought of as more superior than a project/studio feature. It isn't, especially for a creative community where there is greater value is presenting stuff made by others.” Perhaps the suggestion is thus better-suited for asking the Scratch Team to feature autism acceptance projects/studios?

Nevertheless, in an effort to take this suggestion at face value and move it forward, I encourage anybody who supports this suggestion to come up with drafts/examples of what the Scratch Team's forum post could look like. What should it say? What are helpful links to include? When should it be posted?
Gonna turn this post on its head to say that the info being put into a draft post that's gonna be thrown in the ST's direction is probably be better suited for putting into a project that could eventually be featured if prepared well. Code first, forumpost later.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
A_Nyan_In_Space
Scratcher
100+ posts

-Rodri wrote:

While I do believe this is important, not lots of scratchers use the forums, and if a forum post was added, it'd open a door to make a forum post for all minorities that face harassment. {though I think there has been the exception of the LGBTQIA+ group, but that was for LGBTQIA+ month I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong}

Plus,

We welcome people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
Which one does autism fall into?
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A_Nyan_In_Space wrote:

-Rodri wrote:

Plus,

Which one does autism fall into?

We welcome people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities
, sexual orientations, and gender identities.

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
hydrofungus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BringUpYourPost wrote:

A forum post is needed as autistic people might face harrasement. ]
Oh my goodness gracious
We need a post for every country, religion, disabilities, fandoms, genders, orientations, etc. because they might face harassment!!!11!!1!!

I’m not autistic (i don’t know i haven’t and will probably never get a diagnosis) so this may be based a bit ☠️
If they receive harassment, the report button exists, and the community will beat up that guy. Trust me
And doesn’t it fall under a line in the CGs like upper posts mentioned?

Remember kids, don’t eat batteries dipped in paint thinner and anti-freeze

hey, you can call me kyoo
I am a minor on the internet, who’s also apparently an artist and a coder
April 13th - Non-binary - Aroace - Any pronouns

I know Scratch and HTML, and I’ve been doing art for as long as I can remember.

enjoy this picture of Five from Glitch Techs :’)

BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

hydrofungus wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

A forum post is needed as autistic people might face harrasement. ]
Oh my goodness gracious
We need a post for every country, religion, disabilities, fandoms, genders, orientations, etc. because they might face harassment!!!11!!1!!

I’m not autistic (i don’t know i haven’t and will probably never get a diagnosis) so this may be based a bit ☠️
If they receive harassment, the report button exists, and the community will beat up that guy. Trust me
And doesn’t it fall under a line in the CGs like upper posts mentioned?
But many autistic people do face harrasement. And according to cheddargirl's post, groups that face harrasement deserve a forum post.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BringUpYourPost wrote:

And according to cheddargirl's post, groups that face harrasement deserve a forum post.
Where did she say this?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

BringUpYourPost wrote:

And according to cheddargirl's post, groups that face harrasement deserve a forum post.
Where did she say this?
. Using a thread promoting project/studio creation around that topic deflects that harassment.

yes
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

. Using a thread promoting project/studio creation around that topic deflects that harassment.
Where is the part where she said "groups that face harassment deserve a forum post"?

Last edited by Za-Chary (April 5, 2024 13:17:25)