1000+ posts

Rethink Blocking Scratch as an Image Host

Zelnady wrote:

Yeah, I had to close my shop because of the image ban
Same

KING NO EDIT

Last edited by Kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)

PS4 User/FALL GUYS/YouTuber/Pokémon TCG/♬ Clarinet ♬/Terraria
To order dial the number on your screen. Each sold separately.
Terms apply.

BUY KUMQUAT GUARD NOW!

:)
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch--TheCat wrote:

Support. I'd like to use Scratch as an image host in school without having to wait unitl I get home to upload the pictures I want to post on Cubeupload [it's blocked on my school computer]
Wow, does your school even care? Edit: That's a joke. Why would they block their own image thing? There couldn't be a filter, but that's the same for projects. Are we removing projects now?

Last edited by EDawg2011 (Dec. 3, 2023 22:08:37)

Please note that I may sometimes make a mistake and give wrong information.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/747346/?page=1#post-7864829 - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

(Highlight text + down arrow + shift to see the rest of my signature.)

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

<0-0::sensing>//This is Charles; he protects my signature from evil kumquats.
when I'm spawned::events hat//This is the code Charles' brain runs on.
forever
if <[100] > (distance to [an evil kumquat v])> then
delete the evil kumquat::control
end
end

Be moist.

gilbert_given_189
Scratcher
500+ posts

glitcX wrote:

k7e wrote:

This still may be rejected.

Za-Chary wrote:

9.5 Allow files to be uploaded into forum posts
The Scratch Team would have to pay for storage of these files, and they only have a limited amount of resources to do so. Storage space would be better allocated toward Scratch projects, anyway. There is also the issue of someone uploading a file that can potentially cause harm to someone's computer. Searching through these files would require significantly more moderation work, and there are not enough moderators able to do the job at the moment.
Remember, something doesn't count as rejected if you add a solution.
Doesn't help if the solution itself is rejected, which it is.

And, let's all agree with this. Using Scratch's own assets to host images for the forums is quite a hack. Think about it; when does Scratch uses Assets normally? Only when using projects, and that's only for images and audio. Sure, people figured out you can put ZIP files in there (and text files, though that's been patched), but those “features” are most likely vestigial, and is otherwise unintended.

This is what I've seen a lot on Scratch lately. People adore about a “feature” that is unintended, but is otherwise in common use because they frequently use it because of its benefits, to the point that they made tools to aid it. When they fixed the “feature”, everyone went out of their minds and protested to bring it back, ignoring the fact that their “feature” isn't supposed to be used at all. They even took it as far as declaring the Scratch Team do not care about their community, while really they're just being egoistical, focusing more on the what rather than the why from the Scratch Team's actions.

You might think "oh, it's not worth the ST time, why take the Forums down for a week for something everyone uses?“ Again, focus on why the ST did this. They updated the filter (which is a blessing and a curse), and from it they blocked any mentions of ”the assets link". Is it pointless on this context? Probably. Would I be mad if they did it? Not at all.

(Very late update: It seems like the forums were down because someone abused the then broken filter and made topics with swear words on them.)

So, what's my solution? Honestly, I can't see any. Adding another image host still doesn't fix the problem that some people still can't properly see the image (most likely because the site might be blocked). I guess instead of censoring “get_image” (which I think is on the filter) (turns out it's not, so I guess both the cdn2 and assets link are in the filter), we should've perhaps censor “assets.scratch.mit.edu”, so we can still use the cdn2 link to host the images. This is still far from perfect (and I think using project thumbnails to show images is still unintended), but it's still better than what we had now.

Last edited by gilbert_given_189 (June 15, 2024 15:04:57)

If you see a line above this text, it means that below this text is my signature.
This place is just a memory to me, I may return occasionally but I'm busy.
I guess I'm an ATer now.

I think I may have seasoned my posts a bit too much.
Also, my posts are getting lengthy lately. Whoops.

Colored Pencil is supposed to color the siggy, but Scratch says it's too big.

There is nothing here…

don don pan pan
dondo pan pan
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I still think it was an accident, they didn’t intentionally remove it and it was only done because the main site censors it.

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

kkidslogin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

I guess instead of censoring “get-image” (which I think is on the filter), we should've perhaps censor “assets.scratch.mit.edu”, so we can still use the cdn2 link to host the images.
Why use cdn2 over assets?

I personally think Scratch needs to choose more image hosts. This might already be rejected, or even implemented, but I think in addition to whatever they pick, we should be able to use GitHub for images as well.

Last edited by kkidslogin (Dec. 4, 2023 14:07:49)

Forum Clout: 232,655. Alright, who ate my Kumquats?

Enjoy my music.

[small]non-member post, take whatever I say with a hint of salt and remember there's no authority behind it[/small]
gilbert_given_189
Scratcher
500+ posts

kkidslogin wrote:

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

I guess instead of censoring “get-image” (which I think is on the filter), we should've perhaps censor “assets.scratch.mit.edu”, so we can still use the cdn2 link to host the images.
Mostly since it's used for thumbnails, including project thumbnails.
Using “uploads.scratch.mit.edu” would be better, but that's not in the image host whitelist.

kkidslogin wrote:

I personally think Scratch needs to choose more image hosts. This might already be rejected, or even implemented, but I think in addition to whatever they pick, we should be able to use GitHub for images as well.

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

Adding another image host still doesn't fix the problem that some people may still can't properly see the image (most likely because the site might be blocked).

Last edited by gilbert_given_189 (Dec. 4, 2023 15:37:23)

If you see a line above this text, it means that below this text is my signature.
This place is just a memory to me, I may return occasionally but I'm busy.
I guess I'm an ATer now.

I think I may have seasoned my posts a bit too much.
Also, my posts are getting lengthy lately. Whoops.

Colored Pencil is supposed to color the siggy, but Scratch says it's too big.

There is nothing here…

don don pan pan
dondo pan pan
unmissable
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

Wait lemme check
get_image

Generation IX (9): the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
I changed my signature

Found interesting, funny or plain good posts? Send them here!

Notebook | Ocular | me has a profile chatroom | The amazing triple ninja'd
kkidslogin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

(#26)

kkidslogin wrote:

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

Mostly since it's used for thumbnails, including project thumbnails.
Using “uploads.scratch.mit.edu” would be better, but that's not in the image host whitelist.

kkidslogin wrote:

gilbert_given_189 wrote:

Adding another image host still doesn't fix the problem that some people may still can't properly see the image (most likely because the site might be blocked).
True.

I personally am unsure about CDN because of CDN's even worse size limitations AFAIK- personally, I think using CDN as-is would be even more hacky than assets.

Now uploads? That sounds like a much better idea.

Last edited by kkidslogin (Dec. 5, 2023 13:31:22)

Enjoy my music.

[small]non-member post, take whatever I say with a hint of salt and remember there's no authority behind it[/small]
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

However, you can use scratchr2/static instead of get_image for assets.

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Welcome to the world of @54387a!™
Try out my projects.
To donate an internet, go here.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

Creating Content since October 2022
1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch--TheCat wrote:

Support. I'd like to use Scratch as an image host in school without having to wait unitl I get home to upload the pictures I want to post on Cubeupload [Cubeupload is blocked on my school computer]
CubeUpload is blocked at my school too. I shared proof on my alt.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/747346/?page=1#post-7864829 - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

forever
end
end

Be moist.

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This change is not good imo. They should allow the assets images again. The other option, CubeUpload, doesn't work everywhere.
Edit: Fixed grammar.

Last edited by EDawg2011 (Dec. 6, 2023 02:51:00)

forever
end
end

Be moist.

DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

54387a wrote:

Nope you can't, just tested it it just comes up with a blank image

“'Common Sense Media' is anything but.” - Za-Chary
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

54387a wrote:

However, it does work.
Test:

Last edited by 54387a (Dec. 6, 2023 04:55:11)

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Welcome to the world of @54387a!™
Try out my projects.
To donate an internet, go here.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

Creating Content since October 2022
1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
Crispydogs101
Scratcher
1000+ posts

54387a wrote:

DifferentDance8 wrote:

54387a wrote:

However, it does work.
Test:
Oh cool uzbekistan! /offtopic

Hey! Look at this DTA!
Hej! My username is @Crispydogs101. I like listening to music, playing games, and more!
Sarah and duck, Pete the cat, Pegboard nerds, Tokyo machine, FORZA FAN!! Be High contrast Blue Be rich
mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh, it works! (btw the photo is mine, CC BY-SA 4.0)

Last edited by mumu245 (Dec. 6, 2023 13:19:05)

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
kkidslogin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Welp doesn't seem to work for me quite right. But anyway, I support this suggestion for the reason that many people (Some would say most) cannot use CubeUpload.

Test 2:

Okay it actually works now

Last edited by kkidslogin (Dec. 6, 2023 13:24:26)

Enjoy my music.

mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Important: to use the new method of uploading pictures you need to double the “.%2E/”! part in the URL, so it looks like this:
https://assets.scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/.%2E/.%2E/FILENAME

Of course, use the name you get normally.

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
unmissable
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kkidslogin wrote:

Welp doesn't seem to work for me quite right. But anyway, I support this suggestion for the reason that many people (Some would say most) cannot use CubeUpload.
Yeah assets was the only way I could post images as I'm not allowed a cubeupload account. So I'm stuck without being able to post any images until then

Generation IX (9): the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
I changed my signature

Found interesting, funny or plain good posts? Send them here!

Notebook | Ocular | me has a profile chatroom | The amazing triple ninja'd
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

This change is not good imo. They should allow the assets images again. The other option, CubeUpload, doesn't work everywhere.
^

forever
end
end

Be moist.

Crispydogs101
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

EDawg2011 wrote:

^
You bumped your posted?

Hey! Look at this DTA!
Hej! My username is @Crispydogs101. I like listening to music, playing games, and more!
Sarah and duck, Pete the cat, Pegboard nerds, Tokyo machine, FORZA FAN!! Be High contrast Blue Be rich